It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outbreak of a blood infection: Serratia marcescens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Infection running through hospital ER

An outbreak of a blood infection has cropped up in the emergency department of the Seven Oaks General Hospital, the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority says.

Late in the day Friday the authority issued an advisory about the outbreak of infections caused by Serratia marcescens, described in a variety of medical texts as, essentially, a germ.

The authority said 40 cases have been recorded since it was first noticed in August.

The bacteria can cause fevers and chills, but can be effectively treated with antibiotics. Among the reported cases, some were serious but most people experienced only mild symptoms.

The authority also said that two infected patients with other serious medical conditions died, but their deaths were not linked to the infection.

While information about the outbreak was released shortly after 5 pm Friday, the authority said senior managers were informed about the situation Thursday afternoon.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here are a couple other articles about this.

Bloodstream infection outbreak occurs at Seven Oaks
www.winnipegfreepress.com...

Bloodstream infection outbreak at Seven Oaks
www.winnipegsun.com...

More info about Serratia marcescens on Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It's too late tonight but tomorrow Will be busy with the bleach cleaning my kitchen and bathroom. Not saying it is dirty now but I want to sterilize every inch of surface that could harbor this little sneaky germ.

I am thankful it is bacterial and not viral. It does still respond to antibiotics.

Thank you for the information.

S&F

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

you know that bleach is very hazardous for health and everything, you are more likely to get sick from its vapour, than bacteria, go with hydrogen peroxide (goog for reference) - kills bacteria the healthy way

top topics

join