It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proud (gay penguin) dads hatch their chick

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I miss my gay dog. Can't think of what his name was. But he had a great smile.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I miss my gay dog. Can't think of what his name was. But he had a great smile.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by captaintyinknots

My congartulations to the two dads.
Well, I think this is what homosexuality is for in nature - as an aid to heterosexual success in the survival of the species.
It takes a village to raise a child (a male and female hetero alone would never survive in most environments with a child), and gay people in that village are an asset. This is how most pre-colonial people viewed things in any case.
It figures: a male who is better at female tasks gathers with women and children, and thus the women have male muscle-power to defend the children from enemies or predators.
Not only that, but raids can deplete the stock of women, or battles men. A "gay" gender could thus be indispensible to keep the off-spring alive.

I've read some studies that suggest the same thing. To have some member of a species who are not dedicated to reproduction and instead serve as helpers/guardians/surrogates could be a mechanism to improve the survivability of the species. Parents reject the child? Give the kid to Tom and John or Betty and Sally. Hey we need someone to help protect the ladies in the berry fields from Bears, Tony seems to like to gossip with the gals and can bench press a mammoth, let him do it, oh and lets see if Xena wants to lead the Lion hunt again...

People these days get soooo stuck in roles that have been layed out for them in society that they forget that our natures are really very fluid.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Can two same-sex penguins produce offspring?

No. But neither can many heterosexual couples, penguin and otherwise. There is no danger of our population or that of the penguins becoming extinct.
What a relief, huh?

In fact, the gay penguin couple in the OP hatched and are raising a baby penguin that was born to another couple. That couple had two eggs and since 2 parents are necessary to hatch an egg (one to keep the egg warm while the other parent goes out and gets food), this gay penguin couple actually ADDED to the penguin population!

I am sure two same-sex parents are capable of being loving and responsible parents. Unfortunately, they cannot reproduce offspring.

Neither can I and I'm in a heterosexual relationship. There's no danger to the population because my husband and I cannot produce offspring. That is absolutely irrelevant to relationship. No everyone is MEANT to produce offspring. If we all had as many children as is physically possible, we'd be extinct by now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join