It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proud (gay penguin) dads hatch their chick

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

2009/12/11 A BABY penguin born five months ago after it was incubated by two “gay” penguins at the East London Aquarium is healthy and growing bigger by the day. The young penguin’s sex is not yet known as blood tests are still going to be conducted. “We will wait for two months before we take it with others for blood tests,” said Buffalo City Municipality chief marine services officer Siani Tinley. The foster parents, Molly – who was originally thought to be female – and Guido, became a couple back in February last year. Tinley said the baby weighs 3.15kg. It is very independent. Normally they go after their parents for food, but the baby ate its first fish by itself last month,” said Tinley. Usually, after parents have stopped feeding their offspring, aquarium staff still have to feed them – but no need with this one. The baby does not have a name yet but it has been adopted by Linda Herman, who adopted Molly last year. “I have two names ready ,” said Herman. If it’s a boy it will be Ryan, and if a girl, Zoe. When the Dispatch dropped in at the aquarium yesterday, the young penguin was enjoying a swim with the other s . The colony is thriving again after someone broke into the facility in 2001, lowering the number from 21 to 12. There are 35 penguins now. — By XOLISA MGWATYU, xolisani@dispatch.co.za

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
www.dispatch.co.za...

Anyone still want to say homosexuality doesnt occur in nature?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

My congartulations to the two dads.
Well, I think this is what homosexuality is for in nature - as an aid to heterosexual success in the survival of the species.
It takes a village to raise a child (a male and female hetero alone would never survive in most environments with a child), and gay people in that village are an asset. This is how most pre-colonial people viewed things in any case.
It figures: a male who is better at female tasks gathers with women and children, and thus the women have male muscle-power to defend the children from enemies or predators.
Not only that, but raids can deplete the stock of women, or battles men. A "gay" gender could thus be indispensible to keep the off-spring alive.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
What is our poor Earth coming too! Next thing you know, the penguins will be pushing for polygamous relationships and they might even start trying to pair up with seals! What a shame!

But really, good for them, I'm glad the chick has parents to raise it, even though Pastor Bawk Bawgok from the Aviary doesn't agree with their lifestyle.

The people who disagree with homosexuality because A) they're afraid of it, or B) they choose to selectively live by rules set forward in an imperfect, manipulated, and outdated religious dogma won't ever accept homosexuality because it's found everywhere naturally.

That's too...logical. I think their heads would pop like an overinflated balloon. If only I was the one holding the pump. Sigh.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
How do they know they are gay? I'm just saying because in pengiuns the males are the ones to take care of the offspring, not the females. Both of the males could have believed themselves to be the father of the chick. The males also cooperate on occasion to help raise the chicks. If one father dies another father will take over. If the chick dies the fathers will foster another chick. It has been know to happen before. Now if they have been attempting to mate with each other that's a different story, but even a male dog will attempt to mate with another male dog if he can't get to the neighboring female in heat.
I'm not anti-gay, I just have unpopular views on what causes it in some cases, so I can't help but question until its proven that they are in a monogamous relationship only attempting to mate with each other.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Well, penguins are a species that choose one mate for a lifetime. So if the two partnered up a couple years ago, as they did, and do not choose another mate, Id say that, yup, they're gay.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Do some reading about it. You'll find that gay penguins display the same intimate behavior toward each other (flirting, mating rituals, etc) that the heterosexual penguins in monogamous relationships do. And they don't mate with females. They are monogamous.

Here is an interview about another couple.

How do Wendell and Cass have sex?

They're doing the same thing as a male and female would, though obviously not producing any eggs. But the copulation is the same. I can give you specific details ...

[edit on 11-12-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Saw a lot on gay dolphins, and how apart from mating they often spend lifetimes in gay relationships. It was easier to prove with male dolphins, because of their erections (they've even bothered male humans, but that's a different story). Anyway found the following fascinating: www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 11-12-2009 by halfoldman]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Congratulations to the two fathers!
Gays can raise a child just the same as heterosexuals, so i wish them luck.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Congratulations to the happy couple! The baby is lucky to have two wonderful parents who love it so

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Nah I don't think these penguins are gay! maybe they lost there female partners and banded togeather to save the chick! That's what good buds do!

Nuffin gay about that!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

It is very independent. Normally they go after their parents for food, but the baby ate its first fish by itself last month,” said Tinley. Usually, after parents have stopped feeding their offspring, aquarium staff still have to feed them – but no need with this one. — By XOLISA MGWATYU, xolisani@dispatch.co.za

Interesting. I guess we can lay to rest the myth that offspring of gay parents aren't going to make it as well as offspring of heterosexual parents now? I doubt it, but it just goes to show.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
Nah I don't think these penguins are gay! maybe they lost there female partners and banded togeather to save the chick! That's what good buds do!

Nuffin gay about that!

Since the two have paired up almost two years ago, I think we can definitively say that in this case the chicken indead did come before the egg.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
are you sure thier both males?? u know the only way to tell the difference is a dna test

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Charlie our cockateil, named after Prince Charles needed a mate. We got him a mate from a breeder who guaranteed the mate was female.

We put in the required "nesting box" and within a short period of time, the two lovebirds had TWICE as many eggs as they were supposed to have. Furthermore, the eggs were in two separate 'piles'.

Turned out, Charlie was female!

But they DID love each other.

[edit on 12/12/2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
WOW what's the world come to when we label animals the same way we label humans, Next we will have the Politicly Correct Brigade telling us we can't call them black and white penguins, no it will be mixed race penguins..

GAY penguins, what next GAY pigs caused swine flu?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
WOW what's the world come to when we label animals the same way we label humans

And why wouldn't we? We use a LOT of the same labels for animals as we do for humans:

aggressive
afraid
well-balanced
adjusted
anti-social
monogamous
smart
well-trained
pregnant
nursing
sexually active
sexually mature
playful
healthy
ill

The list goes on and on and on... Why wouldn't we call an animal that has an intimate preference for one of his or her own gender "gay"?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I think this is very interesting. two gay penguins??? congratulations to the new parents. I think im going to show this to some bible bashing people i know..and tell them to explain that! lol

if anyone can find more articles on this topic i would love to read it

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElaynaValenti
if anyone can find more articles on this topic i would love to read it

I linked an article earlier in this thread. Google Gay Penguins.
There are TONS of articles on many different gay mating pairs of the little guys. It's fairly common in penguinhood.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Can two same-sex penguins produce offspring? I am sure two same-sex parents are capable of being loving and responsible parents. Unfortunately, they cannot reproduce offspring. In the penguin world this could cause problems. If this behaviour is so widespread, does this not mean Penguins are at a greater risk of extinction?

Penguins don't have sperm banks do they? What about IVF or other alternative methods?

[edit on 12/12/2009 by Dark Ghost]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join