It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux/Ubuntu/XUbuntu... Help/ideas/tips.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone that's replied here, some really useful information.

There's another thread going on about Linux/Ubuntu, might make more sense if we all go into one...

It's here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Mods, can you close this thread please?

Edit to add:

Does anyone know how to flag this to the mods without using the "Serious Complaint Form"?

[edit on 28/12/0909 by jokei]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by jokei

I like Avira on Windows, I suppose it's also good on Linux.

I don't believe there's a linux Avira. In truth, linux antiviruses do not guard against linux viruses: they make sure there are no Windows viruses in the files. Same for MACs, although they are getting sufficiently popular to spawn a few viruses. As OSes get more popular, they are bigger targets.

Avira is great on Windows. If you're concerned about linux, you can get Clam antivirus in the repositories, along with an updater.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
wrong thread

[edit on 23-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Some companies, like AVG do produce a Linux antivirus, these are not normally in the distrubutions (like Ubunti/Madriva) repository but on the website of the company producing it (much like windows software)

AVG linky to Linux antivirus software

Similaly other companies like Skype produce their own linux software

Skype linky to Linux software versions

Someone had a problem with Epson scanner drivers.. again these can be found on via a company that works with Epson, or is part of Epson called Avansys

Avasys Epson linux drivers download page

Distrowatch is a great place to look for the latest linux flavours on the market and the direction linux is taking.

Each flavour has a specific aim, media version, mathmatical version all with appropriate software that matches the flavour of that linux distro

As for games I prefer the Linux gamers live DVD distribution
Linux Gamers this is a live DVD, in other words you boot this up in your machine instead of your current OS (Windows/Linux etc) and contains many games (on and offline) for your enjoyment..

Hope this helps

[edit on 24/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Just converted/updated to Lucid Lynx - no teething problems as yet.

Anyone got any thoughts, suggestions?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Just converted/updated to Lucid Lynx - no teething problems as yet.

Anyone got any thoughts, suggestions?

I have done so as well. I like it fine it seems to open up ATS imbedded You Tube vids much quicker. Did you have a volume control present after upgrading?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

Not used any youtube yet, so unsure and I live in a rural area, where our web is bad evenings and weekend so I tend not to bother.

I had a volume control on my main bar prior to my upgrade.

Not noticed anything significantly different since the upgrade, but then I mostly use my laptop for web/entertainment.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

Not used any youtube yet, so unsure and I live in a rural area, where our web is bad evenings and weekend so I tend not to bother.

I had a volume control on my main bar prior to my upgrade.

Not noticed anything significantly different since the upgrade, but then I mostly use my laptop for web/entertainment.

The Ubuntu volume control is killer. All you have to do is hover your mouse over it and roll your button to increase or decrease volume. A lot of people are missing the volume control after upgrading. I was one of them but found a solution on Ubuntu forums. You have to go to -System-Preferences-Start up Applications and add its name- volume control, its command - gnome-volume-control-applet and its comment- Show Desktop Volume Control and off you go.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

One thing I did recently notice, was that using Abiword there are now only 3 options for saving: Abiword (.abi etc), Abiword template and Microsoft .doc ?

Where's the RTF???

Edit to add:

Yeah, I had no problems with the volume control, it just stayed there. I installed Lucid Lynx as an upgrade to the existing Karmic - where my volume control already was, so guessing it stayed the same.

As an aside I was trying to use my friends Windows 7, specifically Media Player and
it's not the best programme I've ever used - lol.

[edit on 10/5/1010 by jokei]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Fedora man myself, I would suggest using Ubuntu for awhile before trying Fedora. Tuned properly, Fedora runs really fast, I have 1 1/2 Gb of RAM, boot up takes 18 seconds and shut down is faster yet. I run a tuned Firefox browser with my own configuration hacks. I was a distro hopper for years, but always gravitate back to Fedora for some reason. I guess Ubuntu and Debian are too easy, and PC Linux messes up too much. Myah hasn't updated in a few years, never liked Suse, and didn't like Slackware. I repair them for a living, all Windows of course, so I have to keep a Windows machine handy for downloads and such, running Windows 7 Ultimate on that one, not too impressed with it either. Linux forever!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
deleted - got my answer.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I use XP and Ubuntu duel boot on one computer and Linux Mint on another.

I had one time i lost a CPU on the duel boot computer, lost XP but was still able to boot into Ubuntu to trouble shoot the problem.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Just curious, since you use both - which do you prefer (Mint or Ubuntu) or do you like them both similarly? They are pretty close, no?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join