It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was your first memory?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Im unsure whether this was my earliest memory but I remember being at my grandparents house, very small and young, possibly 2 years, maybe 1 years of age.. I dont know but I was small and the strange thing was that my entire family was looking and smiling at me. The strangest thing was seeing a hooded person looking at me standing right in front of all my relatives.

It was either that one, or the other one was christmas, at the age of four. I loved christmas, absolutley loved it more than any other kid I know back then. Lived in a small neighbourhood... but it was obviously large to me back then.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I was about 3 and a half and I remember being at the funeral home when my grandmother passed away. Oddly enough though, I really don't remember her. I do remember my uncle and his wife from out of town were there and some odd pink and brass lamps at the funeral home.

CX

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Not sure if this counts, or if it should be in the paranormal section, but my first memory is of me when i was about 5, playing with a little girl in her house near where i live now. I can decribe every detail of her and her house, the toys we played with and everything.

According to my family though i have never stepped foot in that house though.
So maybe thats a past life thing, meaning my first memory is from way before i was born?

Other than that, 6 months old, i can remember my gran taking me to work where she cleaned for a wealthy lady. This was confirmed by family when i asked them as an adult.

CX.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The first memory I can recall is when I was about 1 or 2, and I was in a hospital because, according to my mom, I was dehydrated to the point that if I hadn't been admitted until the next day, I wouldn't be here. I recall it was night, and they gave me a bed (crib?, pretty sure it was) next to the window, and I was crying cuz I thought my mom left me, and I could see her walking out of the hospital.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Please deposit your very first memory here

Mine is slightly complicated.

The memory itself is very clear. I've always had it. I'm in the kitchen sink in our california house. My mother is giving me a bath. I have no idea how old I am but I'm small enough that I can fully extend my legs without any worry about space. But more significantly the what's physically going on aroudn me, I have very clear memories of what I was thinking at the time. I am experiencing anxiety over two things: first, I'm extremely aware of the faucet and I really don't want it hitting the back of my head. Second, my focus is on the adjacent room, behind my mother. I understand that nothing improper is going on, but for some reason I'm terribly concerned that someone might walk in and misunderstand what's going on and think my mother is a bad person.

I'm sure anyone with any psych background could play all sorts of scenarios over that memory, but all I have is the memory. I try not to make assumptions. However...it becomes more curious. My entire life that has always been my most vivid "first memory" and one day I decided to ask my mother about it. She said it was odd, because she has absolutely no memory of ever having given me a bath in the sink.

So...many, many years later, when idle curiosity led me to investigate scientology, I found myself at a scientology church going through their basic introductory course. Part of it includes a self-hypnotic memory regression. (Though they would deny that it's hypnosis for dogmatic reasons.) When asked to choose a memory I wanted to investigate, I chose that sink bath memory. The technique basically involves playing back a memory over and over, reliving it in the first person and describing it to a more or less passive listener, and to try to remember more detail with each recollection. So I did that. And...going into about the fourth or fifth retelling I was very suddenly greeted by an extremely intense and emotionally unpleasant visual of a grey. As in, alien. It was not "in" the memory. It was not like remembering having seen one. It was more like one came to investigate then and there why I was dredging up that particular memory.

I ended the session. One of the counselors got involved. My impression was that it was only moderately rare for that sort of event to happen during their sessions. I didn't persue it.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This is an interesting thread since most memories have not been stored at a very young age unless they left a profound emotion effect. Such as negative events that might have scared us, or times when we were sublimely happy.

My first memory was at age 3, I remember I did not have a lot of words and was frustrated often that no one understood me. My 2 sisters and I ages 2 and 4 were playing in the yard. Stacey was throwing rocks at a baby lizard on a tree limb, Bethany was picking dandelions and I was just walking around. I climb the high 6 foot fence and saw a dog.

Just then Bethany was walking out the fence into the parking area and I watched her from above come face to face with this huge brown dog. It growled in her face and she ran back in, I jumped down and we both ran to the back of the house and jumped on the fence yelling for our mother, while stacey imagend that she could blend into the tree like camoflauged.

I have been petrafied of dogs ever since.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBeatlesWillSaveUs

I've approached my mother at a stupidly young age and asked her about that, she laughed. Well, I still remember it, vividly. Think what you want folks, I'm not here to play games, lie, or gain some sort of status. This is the first time I've posted this on the Internet, I've only spoke of it once, to a trusted buddy of mine.
I believe you stud absolutly. Why would you put a big spiel on?
I know mine is the truth maybe that helps to believe yours because my
truth makes yours possible.
I bet it would only take a little bit of a jolt for most people to realise
the do remember as far back as you and I.

I first had to realise what that memory even was, I"m sure you follow me?

CX

Other than that, 6 months old, i can remember my gran taking me to work where she cleaned for a wealthy lady. This was confirmed by family when i asked them as an adult.
CX You just gave me a chill up my spine . It is cold here right now but that's not what I mean.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I posted this sometime last year and when this topic came up on your thread I was very interested.
I would love to share my experience with you.

I remember being born do you?

I am sorry if this has been posted before but I am new here and thought
I might get some interesting points of view from you. I will try to make this
straight and directly to the point if I can.

When I was around my mid 20's I always had a haunting feeling that I had
remembered being born and a few other experiences after early birth. These feelings happened while I was fully awake and it's starts as a feeling of deja vu then a feeling of remembering being born ...coming through the birth canal and lights.

I remember being in something see through and people standing over me constantly fussing. I remember them holding my hands ..I know it sounds so strange.
I also had a memory of again being in something see through and it covering me and being able to see my mother around me doing what I know now to be everyday things the one thing that sticks in my mind was ironing.
So here I am in my mid 20's (then, now I am in my 40's)and involved in a conversation with family members reminiscing about the past they acted oddly that I remember much more then they did and in detail. At that point I said straight out I remember everything that happened to me as a child
and I even remember being born! They laughed of course ....so I repeated the experiences stated above, my mom then says that's impossible for you to know that you were a baby and we never told you! She also said you spent almost 3 weeks in a incubator in the hospital because you weren't even 4lbs when you were born your lungs weren't fully developed yet.

When we took you home you had to have your crib in a oxygen tent for awhile and the room that you were in we had to just about do everything there
to keep a close watch over you and I did sew and iron as close to the crib
as I could to keep a eye on you.
So I think I did remember this at such a young age. I felt this untill I reached 40 which was a few years ago. Now it feels like my memory card is full and those memories were being deleted I don't feel them as strong anymore.I know they happened because of the conversation with my mom. I just wondered always if anyone ever felt this because every so often I speak of it and my husband just rolls his eyes at me.
Thanks for listening to me ramble, it would be great even if one person felt this way!

~Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
My first memory is a little disturbing, even to myself. I remember being in a room and it had carpet. I was playing with another human. We were looking through this little toy thing that had a picture in it. You know, the ones that had a black background with a little still picture on it. Well, the other human wanted to play with it so took it from me. I remember feeling angry for the first time. We were both crawling, so I guess we weren't walking yet. The other human crawled off and played with it by themselves. I remember crawling over to the other human and grabbing them, then squeezing as hard as I could until they let the toy go. This made them cry, and it made me feel better to take the toy back. That's the very first memory I can remember. I remember actually feeling empowered by my actions and anger. I know, it's disturbing and I don't know why I remember it, or why I had this innate sense to harm another human to get what I want. Sad isn't it? Anyway, I learned later just how wrong that was, and was on the receiving end of those attacks, and learned a lot from it. I've just always been disturbed by that memory, especially since I was still crawling at the time.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by starlitestarbrite

I remember being born do you?

I don't personally, but it seems to come up fairly often when discussing first memories. I think more people remember being born than most would probably guess. It's just not something that comes up often in daily conversation.

It's something we've all done...and we've already agreed that traumatic events are more likely to be remembered. So it makes sense that some people would remember being born.

I find it more surprising that apparently so many people remember how old they were during their first memory. I mean...in mine I hadn't even learned words or numbers yet. How could I possibly know how old I was?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by starlitestarbrite

You know what listen to this I was just thinking as I was reading your post.
I thought It makes so much sense either way.

All of a sudden this poor little baby goes thru the most horrific agonising
misfortune of his existence.
How could anyone ever forget the trauma of coming in to this world.

At the same time and right in step step for step, who would want to remember it. I can't blame any one for blocking that out.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by randyvs]

link   
My first memory was prenatal ... and all through my childhood years my Mother would keep telling me how children forget things after they turn 5 or so. I pulled the memory through childhood and onwards ... refreshing the memory so I'd never forget it.

My next memory is high chair age - probably between 1 and 2. It was a bad memory I don't want to discuss. I've had to role-play it out with a shrink just to get over the trauma.

My next one was near age two based on where we lived. There were tall (4 to 5 feet) concrete steps up to the door. Mom got a phone call and wanted me out of the house pronto, so she booted the trike. I cracked my skull on the edge of the concrete.

Same house - sitting under the ironing board as Mom ironed, thinking, "I can't wait to grow up and iron myself!" Unfortunately, my wish came true in that I spent ages 8 to 12 ironing a good 8 - 12 hours every day.

Age 3 - crawling under Mom and Dad's bed and finding an "Old Spice" (men's cologne) bottle.

About age 3 - 3 1/2 ... my "monkey" was missing then my parents told me it "gone run over" and I never saw it again until we moved at age 3 3/4 (almost 4) when it was found behind the couch with it's plastic face all cracked to bits. I cried and they threw it away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom remembers pre-walking and pre-talking age - sitting on somebody's lap (her brother or sister? I forgot which) in the car and thinking, "They think I don't know what they are saying but I do!"

link   
Thats a freaky one Lord Bucket!
Amazing that you were aware of trying not to hit your head on the tap though,and you can remember having plenty of room in the sink.

And starlitestarbrite,thats very interesting-so much detail of a VERY early memory.
That ones hard to beat,in terms of age.

Apparently I had a traumatic birth(got stuck,was wrenched out with forceps,still got a dent in my head from it!!)-but I don't remeber anything about it-which is probably a good thing!

Another very early memory I have (but not my first)was when my folks took me to the natural history or british museum in London-I was young enough to still be in my pushchair and remember the complete terror I felt when we entered a room built to resembe the inside of a human heart-complete with loud heartbeat noises.
I can remeber cring screaming with terror as my Mum rushed me out of the area..I still rember the sound of the heartbeat gradually getting quieter and quieter...Man that scared the pants off me,and I hated the sound of heartbeats for years afterwards.

Thanks for the diverse replies.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
Mom remembers pre-walking and pre-talking age - sitting on somebody's lap (her brother or sister? I forgot which) in the car and thinking, "They think I don't know what they are saying but I do!"

Very cool-this reminds me of my neice,who could blatently understand what people were saying even though she had not yet learned to talk back-She used to get noticably frustrated trying to communicate what she wanted through baby noises-you could tell she wished she could speak back to us properly.
She was less than one year at the time.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
my first memory is from a very young age of around 6-8 months old,I clearly remember crawling out the gate at the bottom of the garden where there was a footpath alley where i turned right out of the gate then there was a right turn leading to small car park where my parents parked there car.then i was picked up by my mother and brought back in.

also from around the same age,i was in my cot where there was a glow in the dark sticker on a cupboard next to it that gave me nightmares.i can remember crying and pointing at it,so my dad removed it.no more nightmares.lol

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My first memory is at almost 3 years old crying for my mother who had just died. I was placed in my aunts care. I had never seen this woman and her family before and I was quite shocked and traumatized. My mother had died. I had been immediately sent across the country to live with my father's family because he was in the military and could not care for me.

I distinctly remember lying in my cousins bed crying wanting my mama.

Thanks for asking.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBeatlesWillSaveUs

I believe you!
My experience is so similar and even before the crawling stage in life I knew excactly what people were talking about I knew what they were saying , but I couldn't tell them or talk to them it was some sort of unconscious knowledge or something.
I felt like I knew everything there was to know about life, but as I grew older my parents inplanted/instilled their virtues what they thought life was supposed to be and it changed my destiny somehow by the way they brought me up.
When I think about it I feel somewhat cheated

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Interesting as I was reading all of these memories other people have been posting, it kept triggering old memories of mine that I hadn't thought of in a long while. Thanks for doing that.

One of my earliest memories is of my mother making a big fuss, getting me all dressed up. We were in the bedroom and then she carried me out to the living room where there were a bunch of people I didn't know -- mostly women. It was, I believe, my first birthday party. (I still have a picture of it.)

What stands out for me in this memory is,
1) a sense of everything still being new to me (as in life/existence being fresh and new), and
2) a strong wariness of who all these strangers were and why was my mother foisting me on them/them on me?

Its funny, but some 60 odd years later I am still reticent to be in the spotlight and still occasionally wary towards people. I guess I was just born that way and never changed.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Its very hard to say... but I have VERY early memories.

At the lastest, my first memory was at two years old. I was playing in the kitchen... because the toy box was kept in a cupboard in the kitchen. Later on I brought this up and my my was surprised because I had to have been two as that is when we moved out of that location. I remember moving out as well.

But moving on earlier... I remember that I really enjoyed getting diaper changes. I've never admitted this to anyone so am coming out right now about that. I guess because I would have rather just gone around naked than in diapers. I've got to say I really hated plastic diapers. They dug into my skin and I hated it. But before that (or maybe after) I was using cloth diapers. Much much better. Any way, what I remember most about the diapers is the diaper pins. I remember plain blue pins but then there was the duck pin. I loved it when my mom used the duck pin. I much enjoyd that talcum powder too which felt quite good on my butt. She used a white talcum powder.

I believe I absolutely hated it when my dad did it because of his freezing cold hands and lack of any skill whatsoever in the process, but I may just be guessing on that point. How could he not have realized his hands were so freaking cold what the hell. He really didn't realize it! He really didn't! But I couldn't talk! That part is one I just thought of so I'm not really sure.

But something that happened earlier than that I am quite foggy on but it seems like a real memory. Its hard to say if it was a dream or real. And what happened was this:
I was in a clear plastic bubble in a white room. It was a very open environment. There were nurses around. There was double-doors leading to the room. They were stainless steel. I'm foggy on this but the floor may have been black & white checkered. The bubble was mostly rectangular. I was trapped in the bubble and hated it. I thought I'd be there forever. There were nurses around wearing paper hats and white clothes. I was finally taken out of that horrible thing and was the happiest person imaginable. What interested me at the time was what I was laying on... which was a diamond-grid pattern with a hole at each line intersection.

That may very well have been a real memory from when I was a newborn baby. I don't know for sure and to find out I'd have to get an artist to render what I'm picturing in my head. Then I'd have to show it to my mom and ask if it looks familiar. I asked my mom about being in a bubble type of thing as a baby and in fact I was. But she wasn't sure about the double-doors.

PS - If you have cold hands please wear gloves or something when changing a babies diaper. They really don't like that.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by civilchallenger]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
damn i thought i had a far reaching memory! i remember back to when i was 3 or maybe just before I turned 3 ... i think it was when I was hospitalized for dehydration, which would have been back in probably late 1992.

and you guys are saying you remember being infants! i feel ashamed. haha

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join