It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Makes the "BEST" .22lr General purpose rifle?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I know the gun your talking about, I don't own it.
I do own one, I'll need to get it out to get the name...
It's a take down two piece, that loads at the point of separation, its held together with a springloaded push pin, and rotates 90 degrees for reloading. Very short gun!

It spent the last part of the 1980's on the handlebars of my motor bike.

six

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I had a Marlin Model 60. I loved it. It was accurate too. Best little plinking gun. Lots of little rodents had a bad day When I was around. Then my ex fiancee stole it and gave it to her new husband.....damn.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've owned a bevvy of .22LR and my favorite is my Mossberg Plinkster. Yeah, I know - CHEAP!!! But I have to say that because it is so cheap, I have 3 of them. Getting parts is a breeze and they are very simple to work on. I've not had any problems with jamming, it's been a very reliable rifle. And I can tell you, the thing is VERY accurate. I have a scope on it and can put one through a dime at 100M almost every time. Very lightweight as well. Anyway, just my .02. I realize there are plenty of better quality .22LR out there, but for the money - you just can't shake a stick at the Mossberg Plinkster.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe there is not an overwelming response for the Ruger 10/20. It is good at everything, fun as hell to shoot, and has three times as many aftermarket parts as all of the other manufacturers combined.

It is kind of like Harley Davidson of the .22 rifles with its own cult following. If you are serious then get off the conspiracy blog and into a gun forum and read up. Hands down, the 10/22 is awesome and addictive.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I would have to agree - the 10/22. This old man spent many hours back in the day plinking. Bought it used back in the mid 70's. I still take it out once in a blue moon and plink.

Good post OP!

My favorite now adays is my Ruger 45 SA.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Fair enough, and I do drop the Henry as well. For me, there is that slight intimidation factor of a level action. Similar to pumping a 12 gauge. It is an immediate attention getter.

On a firing range, that attention can be detrimental if you have a bad shot.

In a situation, no one is going to do the quick calculation as to if it is a .22 or .45 Winchester. That can make all the difference in the world. Not that a .22 is the best in a bad situation, but it does bring discussion quickly back on the table. Ultimately the best outcome all around as far as that goes.

Accuracy, is still fairly good while speed shooting. The semi-autos will still put more lead down field faster, but the Henry does hold 21 shorts

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Well now you gone and brought up another key point...
Witch is more important Accuracy or Rounds down range?

there is to schools of thought you know Spray and pray (Putting a lot of rounds out there) isn't a derogative. many people believe the more rounds you put there increases the odds of a kill shot.

the other school of thought (My school) is controlled aimed fire. One well placed shot and if need be you take a calming breath and do a follow up.

If you subscribe to the second school of thought it makes Auto loaders unnecessary, in fact bolt actions and single shoots almost always out perform the auto...

If your wondering why then, I own so many 10/22's well they only made like a gazillion of them and I find then cheap used.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Both schools of thought have their merits and flaws. The single, accurate shot is a long time US military tradition. Modern ground warfare is about quantity of lead for good reason: accuracy over greater distances in today's modern rifles.

Again, the lever action can fill both roles. The single hidden shot and cover/suppression fire. While other rifles typically out perform level action (bolt action or single load for sniping and autos for heavy fire), the lever action can fill both roles well enough to be considered for a "general purpose" purchase.

Then again, I did say I had a bias. And way too many westerns watched, I suppose.

On a side note, my grandfather had a bolt action 12 gauge. (have no idea of the manufacturer) at first I chuckled vs. a pump, but thinking of having to depend on it in the field for extended periods. I can see some definite advantages to a bolt action shotgun.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
given the price of 22's, i would get 2, a ruger 10/22with plenty of reliable mags, and a accurate bolt action that will feed LR ,longs and shorts .ruger 77/22 is bolt action and uses same mag as 10/22.tube fed 22's maybe reduced to single shot if tube is damaged,repairing tube in survival situation may not be posible,clips also may not be repairable ethier, but extra clips can easily be obtained and carried.bolt action will work fine without tube, semi auto will be hard to use with out tube.clip fed sem-auto's will be hard to use with out clip so have plenty of spares, you might need them for close range firepower someday.people squirrel away ammo, so you might one day come across some old 22 ammo short or long or LR, it wont cycle semi-auto, but bolt will do just fine.clip fed guns can easliy be modified for silencer,while tube guns the tube usually extends to end of barrel making major job to fit silencer.oh and you can get both ruger's in SS also , dont need our weapons rusting and jaming up when we may need them most.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by madokie]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

if I wanted to Assassinate a World Leader I'd go with the tried and true CIA pen gun.. they used a .22 short held this neat little gun to the base of the skull and pushed the button... the shot only had enough energy to enter the skull but not enough to exit.. would kind of just bounce around in there until it run out of steam... Naw I don't need that kind of advice.. and since it is a .22 here is a picture of a real CIA Pen gun
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0fe9964a3fbd.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit to add... Once a lot of years ago I had the opportunity to fondle a pen gun... This one belonged to a fellow Marine, where he got it I couldn't say. we didn't have any rounds for it so I never got to try a shot... but that didn't stop me from taking a close look...

First the tip.. their really is an ink cartridge so yes it can write... my buddies was out of ink and I wouldn't know where to get a refill.. you have to unscrew and remove that before the pen will fire...TO load you unscrew the middle and place a short in the chamber. the walls are pretty thin so my first thought was would it handle the pressure without blowing up? but a short doesn't have a lot of bang right...

In the pictures you see a black spring... really it's two... Now remember I didn't get to shoot one but it looked to me as if that spring is both firing pin and trigger.

there was two ways to shoot... the spring locks in a little grove. when charged the pocket clip becomes the release, but on playing with this one I quickly figured out you didn't need to use that, just as easy to hold the spring back with your finger and let go... (This one seems to have a button above the spring as its release, rather than use the pocket clip) it just didn't get any simpler than than that... but forget a follow up shot, you only got one... took to long to reload

Again I never got to soot one but I wouldn't imagine it would make but a muffled pop... especially if it was pressed into the flesh over someones heart... "POP" then walk away as if your only fiddling with your pen.

There were a lot of these made once upon a time so whenever I go to an estate or yard sale I take a close look at the pens... it's unlikely the liquidator knows it's more than just a funny looking little pen

[edit on 13-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

I am quoting you here because this post is so cool I think it deserves to be seen twice.

Thanks for the info and thanks for not taking offense at my joke.

This reminds me.. I have several books in PDF format, you guys must know the author but I forget his name.. He shows you how to make guns and other weapons with household items.. Good in a survival situation. I haven't tried to make any yet though.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join