It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Makes the "BEST" .22lr General purpose rifle?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Savage arms 22's are impeccable. I would even look into their 17hmrs... they just plain make quality rifles.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

For the money the Remington 541-T is top notch about $500
puts 10 shots in a nickle @ 50 yds

As for infinate trigger adjustment and match type accuracy plus/minus 20 thousandths of an inch @ 50 yds the Czech delux is great. Also $475

But as far as a "user" gun, reliable, open sights, never meant to be cleaned....I really like my model 66 Remington! Paid $39.95 for this at the PX way longer ago than I'll admit.
The 1st synthetic stock gun ever made...1958.. 10 shot clip, and should never be taken apart, just blown out, with compressed air, and lite oil every 10,000 shots.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Wow I forgot all about the old Nylon 66 MB model Ramie... In fact I had to google a picture of one before I remembered I had one of those... Tube mag auto loader right? I think I paid like $60 for mine...

Its odd too I don't remember shooting that old 66... of course I was a teen and had just discovered how fascinating girls were after all

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Mine is a 1980 model...serial # starts with an A its clip fead, plastic clip too..10 rnds

ETA yes an auto loader..I also got lucky and have the rare forest green one.

[edit on 12-12-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Maybe were not talking about the same gun ... if memory serves mine had a one piece stock/forearm...
the forearm partly wrapped around the barrel at the end that forearm had kind of a down turned lip? so your hand didn't slip off the end? on the forearm was a white diamond on each side, kind of like the one's you'll see on a pool table... maybe mine was a more upscale Remie???

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I had one years ago

Loved it and regret selling it, but I am a trader at heart and always buy and sell my guns all the time.

I had the .22lr, 223, 22Hornet, and the 30/30

I had a lot of fun with that gun...

Semper

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Yeah that old Thompson was cool... anytime I took mine out people would come ask me all kinds of questions about her... I got to looking at there web site was sadden to learn the new contender barrels don't fit the older guns but their still plenty of those old ones around anyway...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I had a beautiful little Redfield Scope on the 223 barrel and 600m was nothing..

The 22hornet was also amazingly accurate.

Semper

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

hope this worked.... I think we are talking about the same gun.

**Mod Note: Please edit the size of your images prior to uploading them**

[edit on 12/12/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
For sheer accuracy, a Savage Mark 2 will wring the best groups out of your ammo.

A good quality 4x fixed scope will work great with it. No need for high priced optics. A good solid scope will work for 22lr.

It puts food on the table.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
So who do you think makes the best .22 general purpose rifle?
[edit on 11-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

Why do you want to know?? I can see the headlines now.. "ATS Member Assassinates World Leader"

KIDDING ! :-)

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Yup, I was gonna say the 22 hornet.I watched a buudy drop a deer with one of those.Savage model 322,Amazing rifle!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by crowpruitt

I think the OP is refering to rimfire .22's not the large #'s of other centerfire option .22 cal stuff
22-250
22 hornet
22 modified ackley hornet
22 k hornet
.221 fireball
.22 sabot-06
etc
etc
But I do love my K-Hornet!!! thanks for bringing it up.

I would really like to find an XP-100 .221 fireball ....man what a gun!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Yup that's the same gun alright...only mine had a cheesy woodgrain pattern no green. mine was a tube feed. if I "members" was kind of hard to get my fingers on the knob to turn it... that knob sat pretty close to the end of the forearm piece just shy of flush...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I used to have a nylon 66 that I absolutely loved. Everyone thought it looked like a piece of junk which made it really fun to out shoot them with it. An m16 bipod fits perfectly.

Right now I have a Browning a-bolt gold medallion I bought because I never had a fancy gun and figured I could afford to shoot it a lot in .22. Have a 4x Leupold sitting on it. The wood is amazing and it shoots great but you have to worry about it too much. I need to pick up a user and wish Rem still made the 66.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crowpruitt

I was asking about the .22 long rifle.... However...
I do own a Weatherby Vanguard 22-250 beautiful custom gun with set triggers...

there is such a thing as to much kinetic energy when it comes to small game... that 22-250 will vaporize a squirrel

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Had a chance when I was home on leave many many years ago to shoot a 303 British converted to a 22LR. It had about as much kick as a feather but it had a neatness factor to it. I guess you can still get them if you look around a little. It wasn't any thing special distance or accuracy wise but man that 303 action was a fast shooter, for a bolt action.

I made a offer on the gun but the guy wouldn't sell it for any money.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

if I wanted to Assassinate a World Leader I'd go with the tried and true CIA pen gun.. they used a .22 short held this neat little gun to the base of the skull and pushed the button... the shot only had enough energy to enter the skull but not enough to exit.. would kind of just bounce around in there until it run out of steam... Naw I don't need that kind of advice.. and since it is a .22 here is a picture of a real CIA Pen gun

Edit to add... Once a lot of years ago I had the opportunity to fondle a pen gun... This one belonged to a fellow Marine, where he got it I couldn't say. we didn't have any rounds for it so I never got to try a shot... but that didn't stop me from taking a close look...

First the tip.. their really is an ink cartridge so yes it can write... my buddies was out of ink and I wouldn't know where to get a refill.. you have to unscrew and remove that before the pen will fire...TO load you unscrew the middle and place a short in the chamber. the walls are pretty thin so my first thought was would it handle the pressure without blowing up? but a short doesn't have a lot of bang right...

In the pictures you see a black spring... really it's two... Now remember I didn't get to shoot one but it looked to me as if that spring is both firing pin and trigger.

there was two ways to shoot... the spring locks in a little grove. when charged the pocket clip becomes the release, but on playing with this one I quickly figured out you didn't need to use that, just as easy to hold the spring back with your finger and let go... (This one seems to have a button above the spring as its release, rather than use the pocket clip) it just didn't get any simpler than than that... but forget a follow up shot, you only got one... took to long to reload

Again I never got to soot one but I wouldn't imagine it would make but a muffled pop... especially if it was pressed into the flesh over someones heart... "POP" then walk away as if your only fiddling with your pen.

There were a lot of these made once upon a time so whenever I go to an estate or yard sale I take a close look at the pens... it's unlikely the liquidator knows it's more than just a funny looking little pen

[edit on 13-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Just to bump this thread and to add another oddity

Am I the only one who ever Bought Owned and Liked
the little ArmaLite AR-7?
remember it was made to be a survival gun!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Sorry fellows,my bad.

I used to own a marlin rim-fire 22 that was very accurate.I took alot of squirrels with that one.

Once again sorry guys.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join