It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Makes the "BEST" .22lr General purpose rifle?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Since we have so very many .22 fans here I thought I'd start and argument...

So who do you think makes the best .22 general purpose rifle?
Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, some other? Why do you think yours is best?

Now I'm going to say it's my 10/22... why? Well I do own a lot of them and there easy to fix modify or swap parts. Big enough for a grown man like me to use yet my youngest son and daughter can just as easily pick up the same gun and plunk away... no its not the best of the best but good enough for me... Still when I was a kid I dearly loved that first Sears .22 single shot I got for my B-day...

[edit on 11-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
For general purpose I'd say the Remington 552 or it's pump counterpart.

It'll eat shorts and longs and CB's no problem.

I dont even own one so I cant be accused of fanboyism. I dont think I own any Remington firearms.

I own an old Winchester 60A, Ruger 10/22 and an H&R Plainsman for .22's. Of the three the 10/22 is my least favorite. No soul. And it hates anything other than LR and it is a pain to feed single shot for shorts or CB's.

The 60A is my favorite of what I own.

It'll take anything and I love the single shot bolt action simplicity. Makes my plinking into a more complete meditation of shooting fundamentals.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Winchester rifles are good, a little heavy maybe but can be thrown around a bit without worry of breakage.
for a .22 anything with a drop down magazine that can hold around 20 shots for a bolt action would do me.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by redgy]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I like the original FN Browning T-Bolt. I have two, a T-1 and a T-2. I think it is the most accurate .22 sporter ever made.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The 10/22 is amazing, but only for 22lr

If you are going to shoot "Shorts" or 22longs, you need to go with a single action or bolt.. IMO of course

However consider the last time you saw any shorts or longs...

LR's are all over the place and I would say by far the most common.

I'll stick with my 10/22 as well

Semper

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I am partial to my Henry lever action. Does longs and shorts. Has the rails for a scope, for those that want one for distance work. Never jams and has been a very solid gun.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Okay I'm really glad you brought up the Henry...
See I'm not a fan of lever guns... it's a personal thing.. I... and i do mean me...I have to drop the gun to rack the slide for the next shot... something I don't have to do with a bolt or semi auto....

I do think the Henery is one fine gun ... just when it comes to any lever gun I'll pass

Now no need to be polite remember this is an argument
so who wants to step up and tell me I'm full of it

[edit on 11-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Browning take down semi auto.
Amazing little rifle.I especially like the straight down casing eject.
Little pricey tho.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Well not to stir the fire, but I can lever my Marlin 30/30 without removing it from my shoulder.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I have steel pins in my shoulder... I just cant move that way any more

Second line with a wink to our mod...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

As it should be.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have been buying 22lr ammo,but I haven't bought a 22 yet.My personal
weapon is a ruger.357 revolver.I want a 22 for target practice.I am short and have short arms with a touch of arthritis.What kind of 22 would anyone recommend for me?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Well you can get a Ruger 10/22 to save money buy used... looked for an older 80's or one ,made in the past couple of years... there was a time when qual was not up to par... if the stock is a bit to long it's two simple screws to take lose and drop in one that fits your reach... however if you dont want to mess with it just look at any good qual youth gun,,, normally same gun just shorter stocks...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ruger 10/22 hands down. When you can shoot a squirrel through the eye at 60 yards you have a gun that works for you. By far the simplest design to break down as well
. Add in all the stock, magazine, muzzle, scope and barrel accessories you can gussy it up with. While not the most accurate of any .22 I think all the other plusses more than make up for it, particularly speed shooting and reloading.
As far as being a great human deterrent you can't throw lead any faster than you can with the 10/22.

On a side note:
I tried out some .22 tracers last weekend, they jam something horrible. Don't waste your money.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Just a quick question were those tracers red or green??? the Chinese make a green tracer and whatever chemicals they use can foul your action pretty quickly... Since all that gets repackaged you kind of never know who made it until you see the color..

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Gotta agree with the 10/22 but the savage 64 is a fine 22LR as long as your not a fan of spray and prey. The savage just does not shoot as fast as the 10/22 with out jamming. It is way cheaper then the 10/22 around this time of year you can get them for about $100.00 for the holidays. reguler price the rest of the year is around $120.00 to $140.00

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Living in NY and facing a limitation on capacity of detachable mags I bought a Marlin .22 bolt action in black synthetic with tubular magazine. It holds 14+1 but being tubular I am not in violation of my beloved state's draconian laws.

The 15 rounds is great for plinking. I'm a believer in having a little fouling in the barrel so I clean it about every 100 rounds. I've taken a crow at about 80-90 yards center mass; and a squirrel in the eye at about 150 feet.

Just to be clear on my shooting intentions...

I killed the crow as a warning to other crows to stay out of my garden. It worked.

I killed the squirrel because he was eating all my turkey feed. I ate him.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

However consider the last time you saw any shorts

If you have a Rural King store in your area, they have them. I've bought several boxes a couple years ago. They aren't cheap. If you don't, perhaps another farm supply store?

I can't remember the last time I've seen longs. Maybe they dont make them anymore.

I have a Henry rifle that's nice. But if it's for survival I like my Ruger 22/45 handgun. It's surprisingly accurate with the right ammo.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I have a Savage .22lr with the AccuTrigger and love it. The only thing I would change is it does not have iron sites incase of a situation where the 4x scope that was on it when I picked it up gets broken.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I've been waiting to see if someone would bring up the old thompson contender... Normally it's sold as a pistol... I had one with a rifle stock...
their a break top single shot with interchangeable barrels... I had the .22lr the .45 colt/410 and .223 barrels for mine

that was a great little gun... little pricey but nice way to have one gun then buy different barrels for big/smaller game. I gave mine to my oldest son years ago... now that I think about it maybe I'll go get it back

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join