It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RATM for The UK Christmas Number 1.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf 
reply to post by wazthewazzock

You do know that this isn't going to happen...

People are crazy over X-Factor, and there is only a select handfull of people who want to revolt against it!

it was announced erlier today Rage against the machine, is UK's 2009 christmas number 1.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sony is the machine ; both acts are signed to them.

Anyone care to remind me about this music revolution we're supposedly witnessing ?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Yes but it was against the X-Factor! The campaign wasn't launched against Sony! People have totally missed the point. We're tired of the same manufactured rubbish from the X-Factor.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
What a load of BS.

I remember a time when in the UK we had REAL anti-establish bands, like CRASS, who ran their own record label and did not play the media game. They created a real anti-establishment movement, and they sold enough records to reach number one in the charts, but were not recognised by the establishment music industry and did not appear in the national charts at all (freedom of speech? Control of information?). You wouldn't see Crass on your late night TV shows.

They did this without any media hype at all. Just grass roots word of mouth. They operated completely out of the system, they sold their records below industry prices with 'pay no more than...' always on their covers. All the money they made was used to release other bands records (on their own CRASS label) and help social courses etc...They opened an Anarchist center in London.
They never charged for gigs, every gig was used to support a course, and they would play anywhere as long as it wasn't part of the normal 'rock 'n' roll circus' established venues.

Why do you need an American major label band, when you have your own real anti-establishment bands? It's not about the music, it's about the message. DO IT YOURSELF. And at that time lot's of people did.

What did Rage do to change anything? It's a shame 'Merry Crassmas' is out of print, that should be the xmas number 1 every year.

[edit on 12/20/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Look up the activities rage do in their spare time,
their getting the message out by playing through the mass media
knowing more people are seeing and hearing and get their message out to where they know people are going witness it.

The band crass you mentioned sound like a band that we need now,
revolutionary, life changing, but people dont think like that anymore,
and rage have done ALOT.

They go to protests in their spare time,
they support people that need it,
theyre giving everything theyre making to charity,
and now theyre coming back to UK to play a special gig as a thank you.

Also if no one heard/read about this,
it is FANTASTIC!

I love how the build up to it,
you think "oh no, his not saying the F word"
and he busts it out and get cut off haha

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I have a bad feeling about this.

I think there are dark forces pushing this as a Christmas song. I watched and listened and the audience at the concert looked seriously possessed.

Steal away any innocence from Christmas and replace it with primal animalistic behavior. I don't think the intention behind this is has much to do with X-factor but more to do with the remodeling of society into the sub species that TPTB want us to become.

[edit on 21-12-2009 by kennyb72]

[edit on 21-12-2009 by kennyb72]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

haha you gotta love that get the point across spill it all out no sacrifice

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wazthewazzock
The band crass you mentioned sound like a band that we need now,
revolutionary, life changing, but people dont think like that anymore,
and rage have done ALOT.

That kinda misses my point, YOU need to be that band, not someone else.

We are always waiting for someone else to do it.

Big deal Rage go to protests, it's not about changing politics (we don't need them) it's about changing culture and the mindset that 'don't think like that anymore'.

I mentioned Crass as an example of what anyone can do, no need to wait for SONY or EMI to find and finance your 'rebellion for money' pop band.

Their hearts maybe in the right place, but they're working for the machine no matter how loudly they shout against it.

When 'Punk' (it wasn't called that yet, until the media tagged it) first started it was about 'doing it yourself', DIY, that was the revolution, no one had made records outside of the record industry before. It separated the real revolutionary bands from the ones who were just musicians for a living.
I can't take any band on a major label, with all that backing and media hype, seriously as a band really working for change.

The point is there is a history of real underground revolutionary bands who did everything outside of the normal music industry institutions. They didn't need major record label support nor wanted it. Going on a few protests, giving money to charity is easy, working for real change by not working for the system isn't so easy. Those are the bands that deserve the recognition imo, not a major pop band. Rage are just easy because they were presented to you (by the system), you didn't have to go find them. There really is a huge culture of bands, and ordinary people lol, who are working for change by being the change they want. You just don't see this because no one shows it to you. The media has nothing to do with it.

Yet a band like Crass can sell thousands of records with no media exposure or radio play.

"It's sinister that we can sell 20,000 records and not appear in the charts, a very effective way of shutting you up. We would expect if we put out an LP for it to sell 20,000 in the first few weeks..."

"...'Stations [..Of The Crass', their 2nd LP/record] has now sold over 90,000, and when it goes to 100,000 we'll press one in chocolate and present it to each other and then take some photos and send them to the press, because the music press tries to pretend that we don't sell thousands of records. If the charts had been honest then we'd have been in the actual top ten on a number of occasions i.e.; Nagasaki Nightmare, Penis Envy, and Christ The Album..." CRASS

I'm not trying to promote Crass, they're long gone as a band, just using them as an example, one of the more extreme. So again my point being Rage are pretty tame lol...Not much of a threat to the establishment, just another cash cow using the same old 'rebellion for cash' techniques bands like the Clash used back in the day. If you're not making the music industry money you're not wanted, if you are you can say what you want.

You don't need Rage, or any of them, DIY!

[edit on 12/20/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennyb72

Steel away any innocence from Christmas and replace it with primal animalistic behavior. I don't think the intention behind this is has much to do with X-factor but more to do with the remodeling of society into the sub species that TPTB want us to become.

Christmas IS about primal behaviour and forces. Birth, life, death and rebirth.

There is no innocence left in Christmas anymore. It's simply had the original "primal" driving forces replaced with an orgy of self gratification and commercial lust. Which is worse?

It has everything to do with the X-Factor. We are fed up with the mind numbing dross that is trotted out as opium for the masses. Let's hope we in the UK can turn this feeling toward bigger and better things, eh?

If you want to look at remodelling into a "sub species" look no further than Cowell and the soporific tat that we are currently drip-fed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join