It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbols and Fire.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Alright, back in the beautiful Islands of Hawaii, I got the chance to fire spin. It was my first time doing it, and I was amazed at the beautiful pictures captured by it. I will go through each picture and give some commentary on them, and what was going through my mind during that particular moment in the flames.

-so in this first pic, you can see what I am using to spin fire. Basically, they are batons that have rags on the end that are soaked in a flammable substance. I wasn't comfortable moving the flaming batons yet, so i posed for the camera in this one and that's about it.

-in this second pic, I wanted to try moving around the flaming baton, so my friend, who is the skilled fire spinner, said I should start off by lighting only one end of one baton. So that is what you see in this pic. I am basically holding it like a giant paintbrush and am drawing in the air with fire. I was really stoked on this, so I decided to get more gutsy.

-In this third pic, I wanted to do the traditional fire spin, and as you can see in the picture, I was successful! You can see the wind blowing the flames in this picture. It was really awesome to hear all that flames, so close to my body. I was getting into it at this point.

-In this picture, I decided to light both batons, both ends, and basically I was flapping my arms in this pic. It's kinda cool because of the 4 arm effect. Pretty goofy pic overall though.

-This picture is one of my favorites simply because it looks like an "E" flame just cruising around by itself. E is my initial, so it was a nice personal touch. At this point in my movements with fire, I really started to get into it. The flame was ancy to move and dance, and I was drawn to helping it do that.

CONTINUED

[edit on 11-12-2009 by CaninE.G]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
(continued from first post)

-Alright, so like I said, I was really feeling the vibes at this point, and I really do not know how I managed to pull off a double fire spin, but here it is. Also, some people might notice this as a sacred symbol.

-In this next pic, if you look closely, you will see a dragon! It is very serpentine-like with a long body. See if you can spot it!

-In this one, I made a symmetrical symbol, and I just think its pretty damn cool overall.

-This is my absolute favorite picture. The longer you stare at it, the more motion and movement you see. I was completely consumed by the vibrations and energies of the fire at this point, and was setting it free. If you look closely, you will see two martial arts attacks within the flames. On the right side of the picture, you will see a V shape. That is like a rising kick. That is the first strike. The second, on the left side of the pic, is the finishing UPPERCUT! I really love this picture.

-So there they are. My experiences with flaming batons. Please give me your thoughts on the pictures, and let me know if you see anything cool or see anymore symbols!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
You have the most visually arresting thread on the board. Nicely done.

But the symbols are not in the fire, rather they are in you, and in those who watch you (whose persistence of vision is so well mimicked by the camera). Mostly you, though, since you are the performer.

What do these things look like from your point of view as you are making them, inside them as they are made? Are they more than visual for you, being the fruit of balance and muscle and the resistance of the batons?

Are you still You when you perform?

What about afterwards? The photos let you become one of your audience. Is it different for you to look at them, than to be within them? Or do you just remember?

One last question: got any more?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

The pictures are awesome and mesmerizing...I will definitely be back to view again

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
You just asked some very good questions.

Like I was saying, I felt as if the fire itself was fueling my desire to make the fire art. We both fueled each others' fires you could say. Basically, it would be like if you were an artist and you just got a bunch of really awesome new paintbrushes, that's what I felt like.

Also, I was saying in my captions how I slowly felt less and less like the one controlling it and felt like I was taken over, not in a bad way. The fire, with the wind whipping it around, made such a beautiful sound. Combine that with me spinning it through it the air and adding more fiery music to the mix, and you could say I was in a trance. I was channeling some powerful stuff. If you take a look at the one with the E, you will see what I mean. Look at my face. I look like I'm in another world.

Looking back at the photos, I am completely flabbergasted that I was able to create such beautiful artwork using fire. I felt so blessed to be a part of its rhythm, its soul. I might also add that I was definitely not in proper fire proof clothing, so to look back at how vulnerable I was, adds another aspect of awesomeness to it for me. The beginning pics I clearly remember, but by the time I was getting into the more advanced stuff in the end, I was totally in a different state of mind, still me, but channeling other powers also. remembering what I saw from my angle, and then seeing it from the camera angle, It definitely helps me recall what it was like. I really have trouble not staring at these pictures for hours on end. To know that was me doing that and creating that really blows my mind.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
found two more!

in this one, the wind REALLY picked up, as you can see. Looks like lava!

For this one, you might see a dragon and a snake:

Enjoy!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
found one more actually. do u see the angel flying out the bottom?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I really believe these pictures should be seen more, because I think they are very mystical and have many hidden meanings inside. so like... want to help out?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Also, just to let everyone know, this thread can also be on the discussion of the history of fire symbolism, and you can talk about different cultures and what fire means to them. Please inform me, as I do not know much about it.

Thank you!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The pictures are very beautiful, I spend 3 years in Honolulu Hawaii when my husband was station in the Marine base, they were the best years of my life, my son was born in Ohau, I went to the fire shows many times, from the hotels shows to the Cultural center, they were always interesting.

This was back in the late 80s.

I commend you for doing this yourself.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Very awesome pictures, CaninE.G.

That's impressive how the camera catches the flames at the right moments! I definitely see the dragon in the picture, the angel, and the snake and dragon. Very cool. My favorite is the one with the uppercut, and kick. Good art.

*S&F*...........just for being the best still pics I've seen in years.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
First, thank you for posting the additional photos (and for the heads-up message you sent, both much appreciated).

I really believe these pictures should be seen more, because I think they are very mystical and have many hidden meanings inside. so like... want to help out?

I know from your other threads that you are a student. I don't know what you're studying, but if it's anything like anthropology, psychology; that sort of thing, consider your career launched.

There is a huge literature about symbolism expressed in static images. There is a respectable literature about the symbolism of dance. But dance that makes static images? This is not much written about, I think.

"It" has been done professionally. There is a famous photo set of Pablo Picasso drawing with light, from Life magazine:

www.todayandtomorrow.net...

But even then, I don't recall that much was written about it, and not from the perspective of the meaning of what was drawn. There is also something "tame" about Picasso's example... as opposed to drawing with fire... not so "tame" at all

Even if you are not an aspiring academic, there is a popular book in this. Get it published. It might even help with the tuition, too.

That photo where the wind picks up (now there's something that would concentrate the mind - twirling fire on a windy night) is primal.

Anyway, it is all just wonderful. Well done. Very well done.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
You guessed it. I am in fact a Psychology major. The study of the mind is my favorite topic in college. But wow, good idea on incorporating these fire pictures into my studies! I will have to look into that. I just finished finals this term, so maybe during my 3 week vacation, I can start working on this study! Thank you for the inspiration and ideas.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It would be much appreciated if you folks could help me out by maybe sending links to articles you like about fire and symbolism? I think I am in fact going to start doing some major research on this, because I find it ridiculously fascinating. Also, if you have any personal stories or theories on the subject or just want to give your opinion on the topic, that would be great also.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Wow!! Your pics are truly awesome!! And it doesn't hurt that YOU are just tooo cute yourself! lol

I saw everything you pointed out and especially liked the E and the dragon!
I also saw alot of "A"s and an encircled A (#2)...isn't that the symbol for anarchy?
Also on...I believe #6... I see a face looking at you between your right hand and elbow and the face's "arm" pointing to you! Do you see it??
Also I'm curious to know if you're a fire sign astrologically?? Because you certainly seem to have a definite affinity with fire!
Also are you of Hawaiian descent? Possible race memory of fire-spinning?

S&F

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I am not of Hawaiian descent blood wise, but I was born and raised in Hawaii my entire life, so you can consider me a "native" to Hawaii. About remembering how to do it... I have always felt like an old soul, so maybe in a past life I did stuff with fire. I don't really know. But the one thing I did want to bring up one more time is that I felt like I was channeling powers, more specifically ancient Hawaiian energies, and that was really intense. I am just as in awe as these pictures as all of you.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Weeee, fire!

Nice photos, I'll grab my poi and get some taken and you're welcome to search for any symbols. By the way my avatar is a photo of me dancing with LED lights, do you see anything in that?

Nice thread.

new topics

top topics

join