It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Somali Pirates avoiding UK ships?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
After reading an article about how some of the Somali pirates appear to have had pre-knowledge of certain shipping routes and contents of chosen ships, and how satellite phone calls have been made from the pirates to unknown people inLondon, Yemen and Dubai, it really makes me think some of these events are partially orchestrated.

www.australia.to...:the-pirates-of-london-somali-pirates-guided-by-london-intelligence-team-says -report-&catid=71:world-news

Captains of attacked ships have found that pirates know everything from the layout of the vessel to its ports of call. Vessels targeted as a result of this kind of intelligence included the Greek cargo ship Titan, the Turkish merchant ship Karagol and the Spanish trawler Felipe Ruano.
In each case, says the document, the pirates had full knowledge of the cargo, nationality and course of the vessel.

The national flag of a ship is also taken into account when choosing a target, with British vessels being increasingly avoided, according to the report. It was not clear whether this was because pirates did not want to draw the attention of British police to their information sources in London.

Now i decided to try and find out which nationalities have been attacked by pirates the least.

en.wikipedia.org...

This list isn't set in stone, but it seems fairly updated.

If you look you will see a recent hostage taking from a small yacht, with an elderly British couple being held for £4,300,000 and also a British owned ship (flying a Panama flag) but not much more...

Even American ships have been 'threatened' four or five times by the Pirates...

Any thoughts or links?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Could be history repeating itself.
Also, I've heard that the insurance company, in England if I remember correctly, actually makes a lot of money on the piracy.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I am beginning to believe that some of the Somali pirates are paid pirate teams for organized crime rings.

The pirate information sources are just to good to be just a bunch of illiterate pirate running the show.

The west needs to intercept and track these satellite phone calls and start arresting the agents that are supplying the information on ships movements.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

That's a bit of a stretch of the imagination. All that's happening is a disorganised group of people engaging in a criminal activity are consolidating their numbers and money in order to make more money. That's it. Saying they're puppets for some shadowy criminal group, without evidence, is staggering.

They are the criminal group - they stopped being rag-tag pirates years ago. They're now well-equipped, well-funded, and well-informed.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I am beginning to believe that some of the Somali pirates are paid pirate teams for organized crime rings.

You probably are right there, like most of these things, are never that simple.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If I were a pirate sitting with some other guys in a skiff on Somalia, I would go after the vessels that DO NOT have naval taskforces in the area. Go after Malaysian vessels instead of an American vessel. Maybe they're learning.

new topics

top topics

join