It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Can somone identify this?

page: 1

log in


posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:30 PM
This is one of the many things I received when my grandfather passed. Some I know what they are some I do not. This falls under the I do not category. I am hoping someone can give an educated guess on what it might be.

The whole thing comes apart. Its grooved and notched so everything fits very tightly. It has a steel shaft going half way through to the lower piece. Inside the lower piece are 4 small steel rings with holes in them.

Just so you have a little insight on where the item came from. My grandfather worked for the NRL for 30+ years different fields including, fracture mechanics, hypervelocity research, rocket development and in the space systems division. Hope this info helps.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by cookiesneedlovetoo]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:37 PM
can you take sharper pictures and give me more background?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:39 PM
Complete WAG here but did you look into Air to Surface fusing devices? With the description and pics it looks like it could be an impact fuse for a missile or bomb.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:49 PM
@Habu That is all the background I know really. He never really talked much about anything he did. The whole thing is made out of some sort of plastic. Its very hard. I can hit it with a hammer and nary a scratch. Sorry I cant take a better picture, I dont have a digital camera. All I have is the less than stellar cell phone cam.

@Zaphod That is the best WAG I have ever heard on this. It does make sense
as he did that type of research. Also I have another one almost identical to this one only about a quarter of the size. Ill have to start searching photos on the net and see if I can find something similar.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:59 PM
The work in hypervelocity research is a clue.

It looks like one of the early test sabot and projectile of the type that is used in hypervelocity research. they are called Long-rod projectiles.

They are also called APFSDS projectiles by the military/

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:04 PM
Looks like a Cap gun of some sort, like Zaphod said, or rather a cap bomb.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by smurfy]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:06 PM
it looks like a sabot for which it is fired out the end of a weapon aound the true projectile, then separates fron the projectile. this increases the initial velocity of the projectile

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:09 PM

called a pusher member

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:58 PM
You found my Nuclear powered Coffee Grinder!!!

Nice item though, and your Grandfather sounds like he had a very interesting life

Sorry about the loss btw.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:47 AM
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Thats funny Agent. He was a very interesting guy to say the least. When he did tell stories they were always great. Thanks

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:37 PM
It seems to be a launch port for a small bomb or explosive

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:57 AM
it a valve of some sort

it has a income nozzle and grid inside are for distributing pressure of gas or liquid evenly inside of the valve

it also has 4 output nozzles

hope it helps


new topics

top topics


log in