It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America the pun???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52235f2db5b8.jpg[/atsimg]

The Waldseemuller map was - and still is - an astonishing sight to behold. Drawn 15 years after Columbus first sailed across the Atlantic, and measuring a remarkable 8ft wide by 4½ft high, it introduced Europeans to a fundamentally new understanding of the make-up of the earth.

Full Article

Somehow I missed this for some time. I am a fan of old charts and maps and find this fascinating to go over. So I am posting it for anyone who may share this hobby or who may learn new information from the source I used.

The map was one of the first documents to reveal the full extent of Africa's coastline, which had only very recently been circumnavigated by the Portuguese. Perhaps most significant, it was also one of the first maps to lay out a vision of the world using a full 360 degrees of longitude.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

[edit on 10-12-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That map is pretty cool.
The comments about the article from your source are interesting.
So many opinions; what I don't get is the "mulitlingual pun"
It's not defined;
What is the pun?
Is one of the languages "english"?
I need to see linguistic evidence showing me what the word play is because IMHO it is not a pun.
There is no direct translation from Amerigo whose name prefix , for a lack of a better term, is closest to "love"
Amar is to love in Spanish. (regardless of Italian/Spanish similarities; these are both variations/offshoots of latin)
Vespucci does not contain anything about being born "new" or anything about the other suggested meanings.
Awesome map.
Don't believe there is a pun in there though.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
if you notice the the two 360 degree view maps at the top of the main map, it dipicts south and central america, but not north america.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by raj9721]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Hence my question marks in my posts headline. The article touches on it but the humor escapes me. Guess I am too dense...

The name America, for example, very probably represents not just a tip of the hat to Amerigo Vespucci but also a multilingual pun that can mean both "born new" and "no-place-land" - a playful coinage that seems to have inspired Sir Thomas More to invent his new world across the ocean, one meaning of which was also "no-place": Utopia.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ch1ldofthe70s
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Hence my question marks in my posts headline. The article touches on it but the humor escapes me. Guess I am too dense...

The name America, for example, very probably represents not just a tip of the hat to Amerigo Vespucci but also a multilingual pun that can mean both "born new" and "no-place-land" - a playful coinage that seems to have inspired Sir Thomas More to invent his new world across the ocean, one meaning of which was also "no-place": Utopia.

It's not that. Shakespeare was correct when he said that a pun is the lowest form of humor.
And this is someone thinking he is making a pun , but falling short which is even worse

top topics

join