It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party protesters plan ‘die-ins’ at Senate office

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Tea Party protesters plan ‘die-ins’ at Senate office

rawstory.com...

Movement's plans for 2010 put Republicans in a bind

In an effort to scuttle health reform legislation, the Tea Party movement is planning to storm Senate offices next week and launch a sit-in where protesters will pretend to be patients waiting for treatment at a government-run hospital.

"The intention is to go inside the Senate offices and hallways, and play out the role of patients waiting for treatment in government controlled medical facilities," states an announcement on the Tax Day Tea Party Web site. "As the day goes on some of us will pretend to die from our untreated illnesses and collapse on the floor. Many of us plan to stay there until they force us to leave."

Organizers made it clear the point of the protest is to demonstrate that the will of health care reform opponents isn't weakening as the Senate inches forward on a compromise on health care.

Is this a good idea? Won't the MSM paint the TPers as wacky Rightwing nuts just like they portrayed the hippies as lunatic fringe when they staged sitins?
I'm just curious as to what kind of turn out and support this "die in" will generate.

But in the same article I read this....

The tea party movement is splintered into hundreds of local and state-level groups that have differing rules and goals and for the most part have not participated in big-money politics. Many of the groups have been torn apart by personal feuds in recent months; one major umbrella organization, the Tea Party Patriots, has filed a lawsuit against a founding board member who signed on with a rival, the Tea Party Express.

Any active TP people here on ATS that could give us a little feedback on the movement? Thanks!

[edit on 10-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

protesters will pretend to be patients waiting for treatment at a government-run hospital.

So, allow me to get this straight. They are afraid they are going to have to wait in long lines, so they protest by... waiting in a long line.

I'll give them a point for creativity.

I'm going to laugh when all of the smoke settles, the bill passes, and everything continues as it has always been. The uninsured will still be screwed. The rich will still get the best healthcare. Illegal immigrants will still fill up ER's.

Of course, the CEO's of the insurance companies will be a lot better off.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It's a stupid idea, just the thing I would expect.
It's stupid because it lays bare the basic problem with the whole "tea" movement. It's an emotional stunt from people who basicaly have no position other than being fed up! They really offer no solutions, no rational plans, just a "mad as hell" stance. They are so fed up, they want to preserve the status quo!
They say they stand for patriotism, the Constitution and America, but can't even define those things really.
The death nell for this movement is looming if they apopt Sarah Palin as their spokesperson. Need I explain?

[edit on 10-12-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

protesters will pretend to be patients waiting for treatment at a government-run hospital.

So, allow me to get this straight. They are afraid they are going to have to wait in long lines, so they protest by... waiting in a long line.

I'll give them a point for creativity.

I'm going to laugh when all of the smoke settles, the bill passes, and everything continues as it has always been. The uninsured will still be screwed. The rich will still get the best healthcare. Illegal immigrants will still fill up ER's.

A long line which never moves.

At least the real ones will.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
So, Tea Party wackos are going to go into hospitals, wait in lines when they know they're not legitimately sick, and waste the time and resources of the hospital for people who are really sick?

AND THERE ARE PEOPLE ON ATS WHO SUPPORT WHAT THEY'RE DOING?

They're nuts! They're insane!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto
So, Tea Party wackos are going to go into hospitals, wait in lines when they know they're not legitimately sick, and waste the time and resources of the hospital for people who are really sick?

AND THERE ARE PEOPLE ON ATS WHO SUPPORT WHAT THEY'RE DOING?

They're nuts! They're insane!

So to clarify, you believe people who protest at tea parties are by and large insane wackos. Is that correct?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
So long as nobody's going to be affected that could take a life.

And I thought the article meant that they were going into hospitals.

But so long as these protesters don't do anything that harms others, whether or not by accident or by fault.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
When it comes to revolutions or change, violence is the answer in the end. Anything else is just a way to try and stop the change, or does not help usher the change.

What these people are doing is discrediting my movement because they're too stupid to realize how to do anything meaningful.

Those idiots won't get anything if they do something like that, it just validates the Elite's idea of superiority over the common man...Only thing is, I prove them wrong and my people prove them wrong.

Do you prove them wrong?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
So, you would commit violence to prove your views are right...

Right... Wacko...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

The only difference will be that the middle class won't be able to have ``the best health care``... and us in Canada will have to go to asia to have decent health care.

But eh, it doesn't matter since the middle-class won't exist in the near future.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto
So, you would commit violence to prove your views are right...

Right... Wacko...

If a murderer is believed to be in a building, do they send in a phsychiatrist to help the guy work his problems out? Or do they send in a SWAT team?

You confront criminals with violence, then serve justice.

We don't need to prove our "views" to anyone.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

I don't ever remember Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr. using violence to prove their views were right.

In fact, they used peaceful methods.

In return, India gained their independence and civil rights for African-Americans were gained.

The amazing thing is, Martin Luther King Jr. went to meet the Gandhi family and his views of non-violence to bring about new ways was deepened.

So, I tell all of ATS, do not believe FOR ONE SECOND that violence is the only way for you to prove that change has to come.

Violence only begets more violence...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

No but to this day the Tea partiers haven't commited any acts of violence. Although I do happen to remember several left-wing unions maybe beating and kicking people. Yes so before you go and claim that left wing progressives are non-violent I suggest you look at the G20 crowd, SEIU, and many of the other left wing organizations that are telling thier followers to use any means necessary.

Whaa...I haven't heard anything around the posts ( I do subscribe to T-party posts) about it. If I do I will post or U2U you. I have seen a few newer members of the board I do read and respond to state some seriously dumb crap and do site Sorcha Fal. But when I chime in the person usually leaves. Most of the people that I do talk to on a regular basis on those boards are normal people just scared. I have a feeling this is nothing but another attempt to discredit the Tpartiers. If it actually happens I will be suprised. However I wouls also look into the left setting something like this up. Kinda like smashing the DNC window and the whole Fed hanging thing. ( I am not accusing the left of hanging him, however they DID take the opportunity to accuse t-partiers and the right of causing this, namely Glenn Beck)

[edit on 10-12-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Actually, there was a fight between Tea Party people and ANSWER people; it was a brawl between several of their members.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Whom incited it? For the most part the unions have been directed to do whatever is necessary to silence critics. So if you have video or news outlet please let me see it.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

It was started by ANSWER, but there were several cheap shots by Tea Party members as several ANSWER members were trying to stop the fighting.

So, I consider it the fault of both groups.

[edit on 10/12/09 by Mak Manto]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Fair enough, and I agree violence should never be the answer. I don't understand why the propensity for violence over something that should be discussed and and compromised on has become a pissing match that degrades to a fist fight or silencing ones critic physically. Maybe of fear. I don't know. I wasn't trying to incite you my friend.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The whole premise on which the demonstrations rest is false.

There is nothing in the proposed health care reform legislation which sets up government-run hospitals. Just as there is nothing in Medicare that mandates them now.

The legislation is aimed at affecting the quality and accessibility of health care. Most hospitals will be privately owned and run just as they are now, and doctors and health care workers will not be federal employees.

There are horror stories that in Great Britain and Canada there are long waiting lines for treatment, but those are mostly false. It's elective surgeries or procedures that may entail a wait. The vast majority of people in these countries are happy with their health care.

Under present conditions, people do die now waiting for treatment in overcrowded emergency rooms. That is where the poor and uninsured have to go because they do not have access to any other providers.

So dying while waiting for health care is a problem that should have been protested a long time ago. Only it should be aimed at present conditions, not the ones that reform would bring about.

People who are likely to be persuaded to demonstrate in this way are ignorant of what is really in the proposed legislation. If they would become informed instead of just reacting emotionally they probably wouldn't fall for the hype.

BTW: My father was in the military and received excellent treatment at a Veterans Administration hospital. And those, of course, have always been run by the government.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
You know, if they wanted to be truly effective they could douse themselves with gasoline and light themselves on fire at the foot of the capital steps.

I mean that would show determination!

Actually, I have a lot of respect for Tea party protesters, unlike G-20 rioters Tea Party protesters at least are exercising their constitutional right the correct way. So on that I give them a lot of credit.

The message may be incorrect in my opinion, but the means at which they are delivering that message is done right.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
yawnn..... nothing is going to happen till they ( leaders ) who don't give a hoot about what the people want/say, are literally drug out of office and replaced with decent everyday folks and not media spoon-fed multi-millionaires who meet in secret places.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join