It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Coffee a drug?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
On the thought process and body? Well aside from it making u go to the toilette in the blink of an eye, probably just a very mild stimulant when taken in quantities reasonable to the situation. for most people anyway. old friend when i first met him i thought he was a heroin addict, pretty obvious something wasnt right with him. Turns out it was coffee.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I know people who just cannot do one single thing in the morning time until they get their coffee fix. These people are all addicted and would probably withdraw if they didnt have a cup of coffee in the morning.

I personally enjoy a cup of coffee when i get to work. It wakes me up, and makes me feel great. Only side effect is the anal leakage, but i guess you have to take the good with the bad!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Yes so coffee is a drug...
But so is Asprin, insulin, robotussin and pepto bismol. So what is your point?

People don't take those drugs every single day for centuries to function in society.

People are caffeine addicts because it makes them feel better about their daily routine, it makes life easier for them.

My point is that accepting coffee as a food instead of a drug has caused millions of drugs addicts to NEED this substance to live their life.

However, if I bake weed in a brownie it is still illegal.

My point is that the entire concept of a "drug" is a social construct.

Why if something is recreational, it is worse?

Isn't it a much worse drug problem if I need the drug every single day in order to function and go to work?

Drinking coffee constantly is definitely worse physically than eating a marijuana brownie every now and then.

I think the hypocrisy is hilarious.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

People don't take those drugs every single day for centuries to function in society.
People are caffeine addicts because it makes them feel better about their daily routine, it makes life easier for them.
My point is that accepting coffee as a food instead of a drug has caused millions of drugs addicts to NEED this substance to live their life.
However, if I bake weed in a brownie it is still illegal.
My point is that the entire concept of a "drug" is a social construct.

Your logic if flawed.
*Two wrongs do not make a right, pointing out that one substance is "has caused addicts" to justify the use of pot.
*The opening post about coffee being a drug was really just a very insincere post so you could respond if "coffee is a drug and people use it I should be able to use pot"
* The concept of drug is not a social construct, it is well defined in the dictionary and i have posted the deffinition (this is the only forum where i have to define words for people). Caffine is a drug as well as asprin and heroin however there are numerous laws that surround drugs besides which ones are legal and which ones are not. There are legal drugs and there are drugs that are not, that does not mean that all illegal drugs are the same or pose the same risk it just means they are illegal.

Why if something is recreational, it is worse?

It is not and it is a straw man argument, nobody is saying that recreational means it is worse.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
No, the caffeine is. DUH JESUS! sorry, had too.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

*Two wrongs do not make a right, pointing out that one substance is "has caused addicts" to justify the use of pot.

I didn't say it was wrong, I'm just saying but most people's own definitions they are drug addicts.

The opening post about coffee being a drug was really just a very insincere post so you could respond if "coffee is a drug and people use it I should be able to use pot"

I simply wanted to see how people would respond to the question.

It is interesting to see people mentally justify some things as good and bad depending on the way other people view them.

It isn't really supported by logic.

* The concept of drug is not a social construct, it is well defined in the dictionary and i have posted the deffinition (this is the only forum where i have to define words for people). Caffine is a drug as well as asprin and heroin however there are numerous laws that surround drugs besides which ones are legal and which ones are not. There are legal drugs and there are drugs that are not, that does not mean that all illegal drugs are the same or pose the same risk it just means they are illegal.

It is very much a social constuct.

Foods can be made with sugar, caffeine, marijuana, or alcohol and tons of different substances that have different effects. But depending on the social construct surrounding the substance is either viewed as eating or doing a drug.

Caffeine may be more addictive and physically harmful than marijuana but because it helps people deal with a 9 to 5 job it is highly encouraged by the system.

It is not and it is a straw man argument, nobody is saying that recreational means it is worse.

You might not be saying that, but many people are.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I've had one cup of coffee in my life and I won't be going back. I don't know why, but caffeine really messes with my head. A can of soda can get me a little jittery, so coffee is probably not for me.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Coffee is not actually my cup of tea so to speak.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Coffee is a berry; Caffeine is a drug.

I found this nice little article this morning while drinking my 3rd cup of coffee....

Coffee Consumption Associated with Reduced Risk of Advanced Prostate Cancer

Newswise — While it is too early for physicians to start advising their male patients to take up the habit of regular coffee drinking, data presented at the American Association for Cancer Research Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research Conference revealed a strong inverse association between coffee consumption and the risk of lethal and advanced prostate cancers.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Coffee is not a drug.

The caffeine in coffee IS a drug.

More than that, it is an addictive drug-just a legal one.

If you doubt it, coffee drinkers, stop completely all caffeine for two weeks.

You will be tired and have bad headaches from the caffeine withdrawals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join