It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad habits die hard.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
So I'd like this to be a thread where people can contribute their hardships with breaking bad habits. We all know they die hard, but everyone has coping mechanisms. Some of us get through them, some don't. I think we can all agree its tough.

Here's my story...

4 months ago I lost my job. I was making great money, had a great apartment and a good woman. I had a lot of bad habits, mostly centered around the lifestyle of running a club... Drinking, partying etc.

Anyway, they let go of the entire management tier at my club and I was out with nothing but a huge rent that I couldn't pay and my bad habits. Then my girlfriend, 3 days later, left me with the apartment. Then I lost the apartment. I was out on my butt and my pride was broken enough that I moved back home with my parents.

Then, in a couple weeks I began seeing the positives of my plight, and started thinking it was all for the better. I curbed my drinking to 1 night a week, and was looking for jobs left and right, as well as making my music. I was happy without all the crap that I was a part of before. It was good.

Then, a month and a half ago, I got swine flu. It was terrible and lasted way too long. I hadn't had so much as a beer for three weeks, but I was left almost too weak to want to get out of bed ever since.

I started running to gain some energy. As I said, I am very habitual, so I began running ALOT. I am still running upwards of 4-5 miles a day at this point. The problem is, being locked in a house while sick can be very boring. And after I was done with the flu I start drinking again... Every night.

Now I know I have a big tour coming up and I most certainly will be too busy to really party at all. And I'm fine with that. But its those stretches of boredom and inaction that cause me to hit square one again keep coming back over and over again. It seems I can't be left alone with my own head. I get apathetic and drink. That's the way its always been .

When I have a girlfriend and a decent job, I stop. But surely there must be less dependent ways of breaking old habits.

So more onto you, the reader. Have you ever dealt with a habit that you keep beating seemingly easily that keeps coming back to you when you're at your weakest? Or habits that took years to address, how did you get through it?

Nothing is too big or too small. I'm talking from biting fingernails to obsessive compulsive disorder. Tell me your story.

So I started

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well I have mentioned this before, but I find it hard to stick to things unless it's kind of to an extreme, I feel in more control if i'm this way, and am more likely to succeed at whatever i'm doing, though I don't always succeed unfortunately.

Also, I have this weird habit with music, when something bad happens, all the music i've been listening to either that day or say week, I don't listen to again, because I have this niggle in my head telling me it's bad luck and might make something happen again, done this since I was little.

Biting fingernails, yeah, always have done.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I have an awful habit. Bruxism/teeth grinding/clenching. I've been doing it for ages and ages, I have to wear nightguards and stuff and the tops of my teeth are wearing down.

Sort of a bummer. In a big way.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Oh yeah, scratching my face/head while i'm asleep, though i've not done this in awhile.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have a long faub that I keep my keys on that I constantly swing in circles. I mean constantly if its there. I know that probably really irritates people trying to walk with me.

Oh and the internet is always an on again off again habit. I can go weeks and months without it then it sucks me back in until its all I do.

And falling for women who are nothing like me. For some reason I always think they're gonna balance me out...

Sometimes I wish I just bit my nails.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

I have played music in bars and beer joints all of my adult life. A confirmed member of saloon society with all that it entails. Recently my
demons gained the upper hand and some serious decisions had to be made. Performing was my trigger. I had to stop hanging out in places where I knew trouble was bound to find me. I miss the band terribly, the rush, excitement, women, alcohol and drugs but enough is enough.

Quitting....It's simple, but it's not easy.

If it's any consolation; I'm struggling too.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Thats just it.. Its the lifestyle. I feel like at 25 years old I should be able to go out and do those things now and then, but enough is enough. I feel like my health is already failing me, and my head is without a doubt leaving me.

I have no problem not doing it. I feel fine staying at home and reading a book, but I always feel like I'm missing out. I have a real sense of entitlement that I don't suppose I deserve. Controlling myself is easy if I have something else going on. But I suppose unemployment and being without a woman is something I haven't felt in awhile. Bah.

Thanks for those words whaaa. It helps a lot. I have some decisions I need to make as well. I suppose the tour will help, but thats only a short time.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Whenever I am in a bad mood due to whatever, I wait until after dark and walk through the worst part of town just waiting for someone to start something with me.

Lately though, no one will approach me. I use that as an outlet and can't stop from doing it even though it never makes me feel any better, it does get me exercise though which is badly needed. But this has been a habit that I have done for years and can't seem to stop.

One of these days though, I am going to get beat really bad and then maybe I will stop. :bnghd:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
My Habits:

- not standing/sitting up straight

- passing up easy layups to pass to an open man (basketball)

- sleeping/dreaming: I have a hard time getting up if I'm dreaming. I can't get enough of it.

- procrastinating

- indifference

- correcting people/smart ass

- taking long showers

- overanalyzing.....sometimes

I'm sure there's more......

-Dev

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I have an awful habit. Bruxism/teeth grinding/clenching. I've been doing it for ages and ages, I have to wear nightguards and stuff and the tops of my teeth are wearing down.

Sort of a bummer. In a big way.

Hey Raven...long time no talkie :-p

I too suffer that as well but let's get to my real issues

I have a money spending problem...I am not in serious debt but always making myself go paycheck to paycheck when I really shouldn't...

Eating...I eat WAY too much...I am only overweight by like 15 pounds but I exercise like a fiend. The problem is my poor diet cancels all of the exercise

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

join