It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change and CO2 link?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hello Guys,

I want to start a discussion about climate change after reading through my old Physics workbooks from highschool.

The discussion I would like to start is that of:

Is it really our CO2 emmissions that are important?

I ask this because a long held view in Physics is that energy cannot be created or destroyed!

Ask yourself:

-What happens to my car engine when it's run?
-What happens to my computer processor when it's working?
-What happens when I turn my Oven on to cook food?
-What happens when I switch on a light bulb?
-What happens to the back of the TV set when it's on?
-What happens when we generate electricity?
-What hapens when I rub my hands together?

the answer to all of these is that heat is generated!

The contraptions, systems and processes that man has created all have the end product of heat. That is the form of energy that nearly all other forms turn into!

Think of the amount of gadgets and gizmo's we use use today that are hot to the touch after about 10 mins of use!

CO2 is not the cause!

This is what I think is the true contributor to global heat rises.

Every process we do today creates heat. That is the energy form all others end up as, even sound. Vibrations heat up the atoms they move through even if in a miniscule way.

We were not using this much energy untill fairly recently!

As as the rules of Physics say energy cannot be destroyed or created! So that means everything we do that creates heat is heating up the atmosphere.

Please discuss.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Actually, the law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed- just simply transferred to another form. So that CO2 is going to the atmosphere and is getting rid of the ozone layer. What convinced me on the science is reading about the ozone layer. I know this is a government owned website that I'm linking to but you can find this stuff on several other websites... but yes CO2 does cause warming... whether it's natural or not is besides the point of your question.

The Ozone Layer

Ozone is a gas that occurs naturally in our atmosphere. Most of it is concentrated in the ozone layer, a region located in the stratosphere several miles above the surface of the Earth. Although ozone represents only a small fraction of the gas present in the atmosphere, it plays a vital role by shielding humans and other life from harmful ultraviolet light from the Sun. Human activities in the last several decades have produced chemicals, such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which have been released into the atmosphere and have contributed to the depletion of this important protective layer. When scientists realized the destructive effect these chemicals could have on the ozone layer, international agreements were put in place to limit such emissions. As a result, it is expected that the ozone layer will recover in the coming decades.

Ozone is also a greenhouse gas in the upper atmosphere and, therefore, plays a role in Earth's climate. The increases in primary greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, may affect how the ozone layer recovers in coming years. Understanding precisely how ozone abundances will change in a future with diminished chlorofluorocarbon emissions and increased emissions of greenhouse gases remains an important challenge for atmospheric scientists in NOAA and other research centers.

www.oar.noaa.gov...

I hope that helps. And yes, while it may seem like CO2 is something massive that's what it is. It's really something that a lot of things use and well it does influence the environment.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Regarding CO2 and it's contribution to global warming:

The current scientists, politicians, and enviornmentalists in favor of man made global warming base there theories on the human contribution.

It has been my firm belief that this process is severely flawed.

Human beings are responsible for less than 5% of CO2 emissions. Water on the other hand contributes more than 90% of greenhouse gases.

Water vapor constitutes Earth's most significant greenhouse gas, accounting for about 95% of Earth's greenhouse effect (4). Interestingly, many "facts and figures' regarding global warming completely ignore the powerful effects of water vapor in the greenhouse system, carelessly (perhaps, deliberately) overstating human impacts as much as 20-fold.

Further:

Human activites contribute slightly to greenhouse gas concentrations through farming, manufacturing, power generation, and transportation. However, these emissions are so dwarfed in comparison to emissions from natural sources we can do nothing about, that even the most costly efforts to limit human emissions would have a very small-- perhaps undetectable-- effect on global climate

I'm not sure if your physics books have any of this information. I'm not sure how old they and you are.

Here is a source link tfor you to look at:

www.geocraft.com...

This is such a spirited debate. My only wish is for both sides of the debate to agree on a starting point. Without consensus on this crucial origin, I'm afraid the debate will rage on.

Becker

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

The whole point of my thread was to question the long long held views of CO2

Not endorse them!

new topics

top topics

join