It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Seven Strong Men"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
They were probably formed in volcanic chimneys and everything around them eroded away. The correct term make be dike but they are basically volcanic vents.
Do you know what type of minerals they are made of?
This was my first thought as well. They remind me a bit of the various chimney rocks you see in the American West. Although these are in a different environment, which could explain why the erosion patterns on these aren't quite the same as those in the US.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nine0099thousand

I'm going to guess that the first pic was taken from a helicopter (see the rotor in the upper right?) and that's why it looks somewhat surreal -- the elevated viewpoint. I think our minds perceive something "off" about it, and I think that's what is "off".

This is fascinating ! Reminds me of some of the sandstone pillars in southcentral Utah, except those are sedimentary rock worn down by erosion. In particular, a series of "happy" rocks in Utah charmingly referred to by the locals as ......hmmmmm........ how to say this....... "rooster" rock.

I've never heard of this area. Makes me wonder how many other wonders I've never been aware of. I think I declared a moritorium on global travel tooooo sooooon.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Awesome pics!!!!
Truly breathtaking....
The first pic has some interesting anomalies in the sky.
1) Strange line through the sky in upper left
2) Upper right, strange artifact that looks triangular.
3) Directly below, those funny clouds that have neat circle openings.
I'm not suggesting photoshop or aliens... it's just in my nature to sky watch.
Thanks for posting!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

ashonmytomatoes

They were probably formed in volcanic chimneys and everything around them eroded away. The correct term make be dike but they are basically volcanic vents.

That's the best explanation I've heard.
I'll try to find out what they are made of.

Strong sericitic-quartzitic slates coroded by rains and winds.

Argentus

I'm going to guess that the first pic was taken from a helicopter (see the rotor in the upper right?) and that's why it looks somewhat surreal -- the elevated viewpoint. I think our minds perceive something "off" about it, and I think that's what is "off".
Yes I didn't notice that. of course you have to be right.

Admitedly it does look superimposed. Looks can be decieving obviously.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

you are right, about being a photoshop efect.
It's called High Dinamic Range, or HDR(the firs pic) the purpose is toenhance the colors, shades, exposure and overall awesomeness of the image.
with a full size version avalible you'll note the difference.
it's not a fake.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Wow great find... S+F

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Do you know what type of minerals they are made of?

Yeah that sounds like the most logical explanation...

For a more "out there" idea i thought that maybe they were giant carving/statues that have eroded over time... although i do realise that that’s very unlikely

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by nine0099thousand

i have to agree, that first pic looks as if the camp is super imposed onto the pictire....the lighting seems too perfect in a way. Maybe it was just a perfect setting...,

Perhaps we shall name that picture....... Little rock on the Praire!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
My first thought as with others was that they were formed by either volcanic vents or molten lava creeping through a cavity in a sedimentary rock and then solidifying, over the years as weather eroded the sedimentary rock the volcanic rock is left behind. Those are the two most plausible explanations i have.

A third but very unlikely possibility is that they were moved by glacial activity. Glaciers move some serious boulders but i think that one is a little far fetched.

all i can really say is thank you for sharing this as i had never heard of them and they are really amazing things to see, even in a photo.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Cool rocks!
Reminds me of the type of rock formations around the "Old Man of Storr" on Isle of Skye, Scotland.

I'll add a link to one of my photos of that below;

Link to Isle of Skye photo

...and YES, that is all natural rock formations!
G

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dashar

a google view will be good

They're too small to be visible in google earth, but it does have several pictures of the rocks.

Location is roughly 62 15N 59 17E.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Through earthquakes and all those things still stand, they are a wonder. I'm starting to wonder more and more that western history and other science have either consciously or unconsciously have left stuff out of their research or ignored things because it either points to another mystery or it doesn't fit their world view. Just like the Sumerians the Minoans (we almost had our culture based on this civilization instead of Greek) and other cultures and places, we have to dig or find out by accident about these and other places and cultures because much of the western world has decided to leave stuff out. How did these things form on a flat hillly plain.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hey Gordi thanks for the link and the beautiful slide show.

HogHeadCheese

Through earthquakes and all those things still stand, they are a wonder. I'm starting to wonder more and more that western history and other science have either consciously or unconsciously have left stuff out of their research or ignored things because it either points to another mystery or it doesn't fit their world view. Just like the Sumerians the Minoans (we almost had our culture based on this civilization instead of Greek) and other cultures and places, we have to dig or find out by accident about these and other places and cultures because much of the western world has decided to leave stuff out. How did these things form on a flat hillly plain.

I know what exactly what you mean and I do agree..

[edit on 11-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. Very interesting.
I think I may have discovered my new favorite rock group!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xizd1

I think I may have discovered my new favorite rock group!
lol
They are quite the band arn't they?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim.Hero
reply to post by Carseller4

you are right, about being a photoshop efect.
It's called High Dinamic Range, or HDR(the firs pic) the purpose is toenhance the colors, shades, exposure and overall awesomeness of the image.
with a full size version avalible you'll note the difference.
it's not a fake.

Correct, its a great HDR at that.

The easiest way to explain how they are made is by 3 or so shots back to back using diffrent exposure settings. When combined, it makes amazing colors/lighting.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Correct, its a great HDR at that

Thank you for posting everyone. You should all have at least one star.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing I never knew they existed!!
Here is Romania's version

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by xSeraphim

My gosh those are fantastic.
The one in the snow very nice to avoid the pun.

Why don't you upload the pics?
It's fine with me .

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by xSeraphim

My gosh those are fantastic.
The one in the snow very nice to avoid the pun.

Why don't you upload the pics?
It's fine with me .

Hope you don't mind me asking how do i upload them

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

thanks for map link but i dident c much on that map thks all the same

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join