It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archeological team in Peru discovers lost temple and throne of mythical ruler Naylamp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Naylamp’s temple discovered in Lambayeque

After eight months of careful excavation, archaeologists of the Brüning Museum in Lambayeque have discovered, next to the Huaca Chornancap pyramid, what is thought to be the sacred temple of Naylamp, a supposedly mythical ruler that according to oral legend was the founder of the post-Moche Lambayeque civilisation.

Photo: Newly discovered Temple of Naylamp

More than a thousand years old, it is thought to be the temple of Naylamp, the supposedly mythical founder of the post-Moche civilisations in the region.

The Enigmatic Throne

The appearance of algarrobo tree trunks that formed part of the roof of the temple filled the researches with expectation. Metres below they found a throne in a perfect state of conservation, located closest to the Chornancap pyramid. This would have been used by whoever was the political, religious or military power of the time.

Photo: Location of the throne

The researchers think that the temple has a direct relationship with Naylamp, a mysterious figure who, according to legend, arrived in the decades following the collapse of the Moche on a fleet of vessels.

This strange ruler covered in the feathers of birds from a distant tropical land rebuilt civilisation in the region, giving birth to the Chimú and the Sicán societies, before passing on his kingdoms to his sons and himself passing into mythology.

Photo: The throne of Naylamp

The temple is located next to the Chornacap pyramid, part of the 95-hectare Chotuna-Chornancap archaeological area, which itself is located in one of the ancient world’s most important but relatively unheard-of centres of civilisation, one that features countless hundreds of towering pyramids, thousands of temples, and the ancient world’s longest artificial water channels.

Related links:
Sican culture
Chimú culture

[edit on 10-12-2009 by Blackmarketeer]

[edit on 10-12-2009 by Blackmarketeer]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Nice find!

Yet another stranger from the seas covered in "feathers" in Central/South American mythologies, except for Naylamp we seem to have physical proof of his supposed 'mythical' existence.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d6ec3d0d821.jpg[/atsimg]

Other 'mythical' people of the region who had the EXACT same appearance and came in the same manner, via a boat from a distant land covered in feathers include Quetzalcoatl, Gugumaz, Viracocha, Kukulkan, Votan, Itzamana, ect. I don't need to go on.

This is a great find if it the research and findings can back up the claims.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Naylamp and his sons gave rise to some of the worlds most artistically and architecturally advanced cultures in the world, easily on par with ancient Egypt.

Starred and flagged, thanks for a great find.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Cool find
I like how common the feathered visitor story is. They appear, set up a civilization and then leave it. Very thought provoking!

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
National Geographic has added an update to this find and additional pictures;

Pictures: "Mythical" Temple Found in Peru

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Good thread. Fascinating stuff!

So if Naylamp has made the jump from a mythical character to historical figure then the obvious question arises: Where did he come from?

Are there any theories which pertain to his origin or how he came to posess the knowledge which granted him reverence from the people of the area?

I'm a little confused..

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Nice find!

Other 'mythical' people of the region who had the EXACT same appearance and came in the same manner, via a boat from a distant land covered in feathers include Quetzalcoatl, Gugumaz, Viracocha, Kukulkan, Votan, Itzamana, ect. I don't need to go on.

This is a great find if it the research and findings can back up the claims.

I agree with you Serbsta. I saw this yesterday and attempted to open a Post on this subject.

My interest PEAKED when I noted the Mythic becoming a Reality, but I did find the story of interest.

You also have sort of posed a question in your "Other" cultural comments.

If you may, I will offer this for your consideration.

I am not 100% certain but I do believe in the Americas, we see a Culture arise, and fall, and a New Culture arise, and fall, and a New Culture arise, and fall, and a New...............

Could it be, that despite the NAME of these Cultures, they are still the Same People, and therefore we have the Same Story. They Build a Site, Flourish, Fall and rebuild another site, and we, the smart ones think they are all different, instead of actually possibly being the one people evolving from site to site.

Just aksing what you think of this possiblity.

As for Naylamp, I tried the Picture link from Nat Geo, and I had expected something more.

I also found several stories in respect to the subject here.

1000 year old Mythical Temple Complex
A similiar story of the Find

And at another interesting site I found the Following.

" The Legend counts that Naylamp came from the ocean with his people in a large fleet of rafts. They built large cities and palaces and their culture prospered peacefully for many century at his place of burials".

An idol named Yampallec that recalling Naylamp, was worshipped at his of his place of burial. Today, the name of this idol remains alive as that of the most important departments of northern Peru, Lambayeque.

Many years after Naylamp´s death his tomb was profaned and, as consequence, 30 consecutive days of rain (El Niño? ), destroyed towns and crops as punishment to those who dared to disturb Naylamp' s tomb. . . "
(Legend collected by Miguel Cabello Valboa and reproduced in "Miscellanea Antarctica", una historia del Peru Antiguo. Universidad Mayor de San Marcos. Facultad de Letras, 1951.) .

About Naylamp
I did find it strange that this site is actually about the ocean observing Project implemented by Peru's Navy and it's Hydrographic Service. NAYLAMP is a system to forecast events such as El Ninos and it utilized the Legendary name.

It will be nice to see if there is further news about this site to follow.

Ciao

Shane

top topics

join