It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we headed for a Mars revelation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Recently there has been a surge in water/life on mars related stories, and with the recent revelation of water on the moon, are we being conditioned for the big announcment... Life on Mars?

Mars study boosts hopes of finding life
December 8, 2009

On Earth methane is produced in large quantities both by microbes and the digestive processes of large animals such as cows.

The gas has a short lifetime of just a few hundred years on Mars because it is continuously being destroyed by sunlight in the planet's atmosphere.

Yet its levels remain constant, leading scientists to speculate about what might be topping it up.

Some experts believe the most likely source is extraterrestrial micro-organisms living in the Martian soil.

Their hopes have now been raised by the latest research, which has dismissed one of the leading alternative theories.

Just the next day came this ironically amazing find. The Mars Rover has been stuck in the sand for a while now, and in the tossing and turning of the wheels, it made an amazing discovery!

Evidence of water in sand Mars rover's stuck in
December 9, 2009

Spirit, the Mars rover with one wheel stuck fast in the planet's soft sand since April, has uncovered some of the best evidence yet that water once existed on the planet, apparently after a time of intense volcanic activity billions of years ago.

The evidence came from sand the rover dug up as its stuck wheel spun, broke through a thin rocky crust and created a tiny crater about 5 feet wide and less than 10 inches deep

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b783b77dd332.gif[/atsimg]

And the next day...

Rare Scottish mineral may indicate life on Mars
December 10, 2009

Macaulayite is a fine grain mineral containing water bound to the inner surfaces, so if its presence is confirmed on Mars, this would mean water must also have been present, and therefore the planet may have been able to sustain life.

And also today..

Key to Mars Channel Mystery May be on Earth
December 10, 2009

The surface of Mars is littered with channels that appear to be the work of ancient water flows. Indeed, some of these channels meander back and forth like slow-moving streams on our planet. Channels can be carved by lava, wind and glaciers, but these processes can't explain all the features on Mars.

Last week there was the second analysis of the famous ALH84001 meteorite, which in 1996 scientists claimed was evidence of life on Mars!

Fresh Evidence of Ancient Life on Mars?
December 2, 2009

In 1996, NASA researchers reported that a meteorite contained evidence that life once existed on Mars. But others argued that the evidence was most likely caused by inorganic processes that could be recreated artificially. A second group of NASA researchers (containing some scientists from the first study) has reexamined the 1996 findings using a new analysis technique called ion beam milling, and they again claim that living organisms are most likely responsible for the materials found in the meteorite

All of this in the last 8 days! It seems like this build up of information is leading to a revelation of water, and most likely life on Mars. If it is confirmed, imagine the paradigm shift of peoples idea of life in the universe!

-E-

[edit on 10-12-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yes yes yes!!! you think on the same lines as me, I've noticed this also, it's been in the media quite prevalently of late, does make you wonder if it's just coincidence or there is another reson for it???

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

It reminds me of the water on the moon revelation, when studies started to come out then all of the sudden, we had water on the moon!

-E-

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Great article! Great thread!

You know what I find so frustrating -- they mentioned that they found this water where the wheel was lodged and had made a 5 foot wide by 10 inch deep "hole".

Doesn't it seem a little ridiculous, that will all of our latest missions to Mars, we never thought to dig down 10 inches??

S & F!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

It reminds me of the water on the moon revelation, when studies started to come out then all of the sudden, we had water on the moon!

-E-

Yes, it’s like the drip feed way to introduce the masses to information well known within certain circles, I may sound like an idiot/fool but I really do think the same is happening with UFO’s and alien life in general, what started me off thinking about that was the UK military files (on UFO’S) being made public, again it may be just coincidence but I doubt it, I do think there may be something in the theory we’re being drip fed info Pryor to a disclosure, but hey I may be wrong… it’s just instinct for me… I have no facts…

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Great as always...MysterE!
S&F.

As I said, maybe, the "things" are changed in "Office"!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I couldn't agree with you more, NASA knows if there is water/life on Mars, just like they know there was water on the moon way before they told us.

-E-

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Why do you think the discoveries are being drip fed? Wouldn't it make more sense that the scientists make some initial discoveries that they may publicise on a small scale, then they perform follow up analysis and when they hit paydirt they make a big announcement?

Dude, I've worked in an astronomy institute. No one there would sit on a big discovery, their entire funding is basically reliant on getting as much notice as possible. Often they make discoveries that they can't fully prove and then yes they'll sit on it, but only because they don't want to be accused of making spurious claims. If they do get their proof then they'll show it to anyone who's willing to listen.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Forward: I am no scientist but... this ain't no science journal so... I hereby grant myself license.

My gut instinct, based on the logic of what I know about how certain things work... but, is still by no means accredited, tells me that life did once exist on Mars and maybe still does in a very basic, primitive form.

That same little voice says that it exists on Europa and Titan as well.

What does that mean aside from a personal opinion? Not a doggone thing. But discovery has almost always begun with a hunch... a notion that something was or was not possible. From that small instinctive challenge, knowledge was gained.

Of course, we live in a different time now when the small time labs have little chance without grants and the help of corporate science. Speculative patents on energy and locomotion are regularly bought up by big money and then squatted upon so that they would never be the golden eggs that hatched.

Still and all... if I was NASA, I stop wasting money sending robots to Mars that were designed specifically NOT to look for life and so too, stop the culture of fear of ever finding it, that so permeates that organization to this day.

That was more than .2 cents worth so... I'll leave a quarter next time around

Edit: typos, added words, fleas, etc.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by georgejetson

I take it your referring to my post??

Ok I agree with you on the Astronomy institute’s, no argument from me there, I guess I don’t readily believe in coincidence, but you have to admit the amount of recent discoveries that have been put out in the media have increased in the last year, I’ve noticed it because I take note of the science web sites and have a general interest in the subject, and if you read my post I did say it may be just a coincidence…

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys but here in France, we have absolutely no coverage about this in the mass medias...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It wasn't specifically to your post (though I see you did use the words "drip feed", and I probably picked up on that when replying) It was more to the kind of thrust I think this thread is taking.

Have there been a lot of announcements lately? (serious question) A lot of space probe missions did come to fruition in the last few years, that is probably true. These things do come in waves as it takes a long time from start to finish to develop and launch, and more of them get green-lighted when things are going well economically. (eg about 8 years ago there was a lot of cash being thrown about and we only see the results now)

A lot of missions these have multiple goals, and data reuse is a big thing. (When I worked in the astronomy place, my job was archiving and data-mining - trying to work out ways we could take data collected in one experiment and use it to do something new) This means that when a satellite or probe or whatever starts sending back info, all sorts of different groups start discovering different things and you get a bunch of seemingly unrelated announcements at once.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

But just in the last 8 days we have very different methods drawing the came conclusions, it is either a coincidence, or something else.

-E-

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

But just in the last 8 days we have very different methods drawing the came conclusions, it is either a coincidence, or something else.

-E-

... Something else....

In my opinion inside Nasa, Now, after che Heads changing from former Director Michael Griffin to new Director Charlie Bolden, there are 2 or more factions that fight.

Who win? I don't know but.... the battle is begin!

However "something" is changed into the "Office".

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

It doesn't seem that big a coincidence to me.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Ok cool, I get what your saying and it's common sense what your stating, obviously missions come to fruition and get published maybe within a few days/months of each other, and other interested parties will publish findings relevant to their projects/subjects, to put it in another way "I personally have noticed" not only in the scientific arena but in the media at large, (let's not forget who run's the media) the subject of Mars, human space travel and UFO'S, has been upstaged and put out there for the common human to adsorb, (I put it to you, in the past we have been left in the dark) for instance, as I’m typing this my local news (Oxfordshire UK) has just announced the plans for manned missions to not only to go to the moon but to Mars as well!!! (Rutherford/Appleton lab) heh what are the odds of that?? But it's true..

Look... all im saying is, like the OP.... is it really coincidence?? Or is it something else?? Who knows?? I don't, but I get the feeling as a balanced human being something doesn't fall right with it all.. I stand by my post that something is heading for disclosure, what that is I don't know.... I guess we'll find out in time...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

A lot of this stuff would have been in the pipe for a while. I'm pretty sure that the both the UK and US have been making noises about sending more probes to Mars for a while now.

Mars, and finding water in the solar system are the current sexy topics in astronomy. When one group makes some announcement about them you can bet the other groups that have something related will be jumping up and down shouting "Hey look at us! We're doing this stuff as well!"

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
hey all gotta gonna be the antagonist for a second but what is with this notion of conditioning you are setting your self up for disappointment why would the power that be conditioning you anyways they are plotting against us by holding back? no? theres a conflict in the theory. It kinda sucks we havent found life i beleive its out there somewhere. But to think the government is disclosing through tv shows and other public channels is just a big leap. Finding bacteria is not gonna cause the panic you might see if they found a intelligent civilization. I remember the last time nasa thought they found fossil microbes it was far from mass panic . I dunno not trying to be a jerk just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Life probably did exist at one time, along with an ample amount of water, on the surface of Mars. But the jury is still out on whether life exists there today. Atmospheric methane levels isn't the damning evidence that some are making it out to be. The methane levels on Mars can easily be accounted for via geological processes and until we send more probes (Mars laboratory) we probably wont have a definitive answer.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by cowboys703

Yes I agree with you it's hard to know if life is still there, even if it is Microbes, we won't know that until we can bury under the surface of Mars and take a good look, I would have thought the best way (not necessarily the cheapest way) would be to send manned missions, that is what they intend to do according to my local news, (a joint Rutherford/Appleton lab project in the UK) as for the methane levels, again your right who knows what is causing the replenishment of the gas? The one thing they have ruled out is meteors causing it.

Mars methane 'not from meteors'

One thing is certain the gas cannot stay in the atmosphere for long periods of time so something is on the planet causing methane gas to replenish, whether that's geological or biological no one knows at this point in time, personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was biological (microbes under the surface protected from the radiation) but who knows?? It's all interesting though, and what the OP say's is correct there does seem to be a big push in the media on the planet at the moment.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by Majestic RNA]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join