It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did god create so many different religons?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Evolutionary biology tells us that we are survival machines created by strange replicating molecules called genes in an effort to protect, preserve and propagate themselves in changing, often hostile environments.

I agree with this assertion but it still does not answer the fundamental questions presented. In fact, even though I agree with it, it makes me sort of upset.

If your statement is true, then there is truly no ultimate meaning to any human life. Any given human is no more important than any other creature. All are equally meaningless. If that holds, then logically speaking you have no right to protest any misfortune that happens to you in life or anyone else anymore than you could complain about the fate of a worm. That stands in fundamental opposition to everything we hold dear as human beings.

That is, if one fully accepts our position, then one cannot make any value judgments on any human interaction – good or bad is nonexistent. The Holocaust is just as meaningless as stepping on an anthill. Reality dictates that we cannot accept this proposition and remain functional, sane beings.

This brings into the question the problematic issue of our minds. Granted evolution has provided us with a cognitive ability far beyond that of other animals. We can create wheels and nuclear bombs and ATS. That is a reality of our evolution. It enables us to think to compensate for our physical shortcomings. But why is the capacity for thought beyond the immediate and practical also there? Why the need to dream and imagine? Why do we have the awareness that there might be something more? Evolutionarily speaking, we only need the faculty to make advanced tools to compensate for our shortcomings. There seems to be no need for us to be able to think of an other. Logically, we should be like very technologically capable bees; capable of building a titanium hive but never questioning our own existence.

But the inner question always torments us; what is the meaning of life? Biologically speaking, there seems to be no need for us to question the meaning of life – especially if the final answer is, as you put it, “to have grandchildren”. Other creatures seem to accept this proposition without question. But we always feel the need to ask why? It is almost as if the question was planted within us by something that wanted us to seek an answer. Evolution would have no need to plant such a question; mere survival would be answer enough. But an intelligent being with a great answer just might desire someone to ask a question…

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Your answer is simple, as the population grew and expanded beyond the Middle East and Africa the need for different branches became necessary so when we expanded beyond continents the numbers of the Holy Faiths spiked.

Plus, most religion is sector and ethnic specific as each caters to either a specific subset to the populous as what works for say the neighbourhood A will not work in say, neighbourhood B along those same exact lines. Find the largest tree in your neighbourhood and God is the trunk and each branch represents a particular sub-faith. The crud over the "supreme religion' is merely an intimidation technique designed solely as a deterrent to prevent exodus or mass migration out. No religion can legally go on record claiming they are the supreme when in case y'all haven't noticed, 5 of the top 6 make that claim yet none can be legally verified or proven. Numbers or property holdings mean nothing in this case. It's sole purpose is to keep children in line so they do not become a problem for the parents. Consider it a secondary support when it comes to discipline. Plus it's to get the minor used to the concept of "law & order" instead of the law of the jungle.
However, we must continue that portion of the policy as not to let it to allow the breakdown of society and have it cost us the trust we place into our legal system.

Evangelical Christianity is a sub-faith of Christianity as Judaism is a sub-faith of Hebrew. Catholicism is the stepchild of Christianity.

Arab world has Islam, Europa has Christianity, Israel has Hebrew, India has Hindu, Orient has Buddhist and Oceania as well as Tribal nations and Native Americans, Indigenous islanders as those are your principle or dominant 6 with well north of 4,750,000,000 people covered (4.75 Billion) out of roughly 6,585,000,000 (6.585 Billion) people on Earth now,Each is tailored to a specific group and every single religion on Earth can be connected back to those 6 groups. Roughly an estimated 400,000,000 (400 Million) people practice no faith at all. The rest of the spectrum is covered by the remaining 1,410,000,000 (1.41 Billion) are covered by the rest. 50k here, 100k there, etc.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by TheImmaculateD1]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Said it before, i'll say it again. He felt like it...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
reply to post by Angus123

"served"? "they answered"?

I like the past on that sentence... now tell me... Now that we are advanced and literate and we're not that primitive people anymore we dont need religion cause something else must have answered those questions scientifically... now tell me: Why are we here? Why do we exist? What is the purpose of life?

Can you answer them yet?

You see... I'm not a religious person, but science doesnt have any answers either... at least religion explains it "their way", they do have "theories", as for science... not even a "what if".

I agree that religion served as crowd control... but not always! There is still more to religion than simple "crowd control" or "lies to feed the masses"... Nah... theres something more. Its not a "simple" lie that everyone accepts or its easy to understand. There has to be some truth to religions...

This feels like a dangerous thing to say...

but I feel it's right.

This is the most intelligent post regarding religion that I've seen for myself. And as you might know, I'm a Christian.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Short answer.... the tower of Babel in Genesis.
The tower fell because people were getting too much information too soon for God's plan to work. God caused this tower to fall and caused the massive mix of cultures, languages, and man-made ideas of who or what God is thus creating many religions.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Why did god create so many different religons? I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this question.

because he didn't want to leave anybody out!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join