It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did god create so many different religons?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Zaiger you are not even a successful troll just a someone that brings nothing to the party and the only thing you have been successful about is being added to my ignore list, something I hope most people encountering you will also choose to do. People like you don’t even bring entertainment value just negativity and douchebaggery.

[edit on 11/12/09 by On the level]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bignick
Tell that to the 4 billion retards.

We have many of those retards here in America, who like to call themselves 'true Christians.'

And, what does a 'true Christian' want?

He wants his god to come down, kill the 'bad guys,' appoint himself king over his own creation, and rule them for ever.

This is the so-called 'true Christian's' sad belief.

According to these brainwashed tools, people didn't treat their neighbors well, until the creator had to come down and personally tell them to do so.

That explains why the governments are so corrupt. That explains why people are too weak-minded to -stop- voting for these bullies. That explains why everything is getting -so- messed up... yup. People STILL know how to treat their neighbors, retard.

What I WANT as a Christian is to be the best that I can be and see others do the same and help them to do it.

By the way, those 4 billion retards you're referring to... all of their hard work is sitting somewhere inside your house.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
There is only one true religion! The rest are false religions designed by satan to muddy up the waters and prevent people from knowing the true god. These religions are represented in the bible as the harlot of babylon.. she will be destroyed by the wild beast (world governments) and this will trigger armageddon! The bible sais that armageddon will come at a time the world thinks its at peace....

sorry if i come off as a bit nutty lol... its what iv got out of the bible! Interesting dont you think!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Why did god create so many different religons? I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this question.

First of all God didn't create religion man did, once you get over that then we can discuss this. Apparently God created earth, and humans, and that's about it. We took over after that.
at your ignorance.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Religion was the way to control the masses
God didnt create religion, Man created god so religion would control your thoughts & actions.

[edit on 11/12/09 by Ezappa]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bignick
Tell that to the 4 billion retards.

We have many of those retards here in America, who like to call themselves 'true Christians.'

And, what does a 'true Christian' want?

He wants his god to come down, kill the 'bad guys,' appoint himself king over his own creation, and rule them for ever.

This is the so-called 'true Christian's' sad belief.

According to these brainwashed tools, people didn't treat their neighbors well, until the creator had to come down and personally tell them to do so.

while i agree with the notion that there are a lot of religious extremists in the world...the idiocy you display in your post is just as bad.

You calling anyone who believes in God a "retard" is no different than a God believe telling you that you're going to hell.

Hypocrite.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Why is this thread still going?

The second post answered it, most people agree (judging by the amount of stars it received).

Seriously, why keep this thread open so the religious nutters can proselytise to their hearts content? Case closed, move on.

The Para.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

if its over - then why respond yourself?

Religious nutters?

At least we believe in something

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well...

I think all religions are different interpretations of the same thing, according to different cultures, societies, age, knowledge etc..

So the guy who lives in a jungle sees something and he calls it the "monkey god" and the "tiger god", another one that lives in the desert, knows no monkeys nor tigers, so he interprets it as the "scorpion god" and the "snake god", and the other far more illuminated and aware that lives in a society more advanced than the previous 2, since hes more "enlightened" he writes a wonderful story about what he sees as his god also.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Why did god create so many different religons? I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this question.

No supernatural deity created religion. They sprang up in different geographical locations because the people that lived in those areas invented their own myths of creation and what not.

If there was but one true god, why would he not reveal himself to everyone instead of letting everybody kill each other over whose myths were real and whose were false?

I have to go make popcorn now because I'm sure the superstitious are about to pounce on my post and get all apoplectic, lol.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Caleb.K

Hello Caleb:

Yes, I think it is interesting what you got out of the Bible. Now, could you go back and read about FAITH, GRACE, CHRIST, MERCY and FORGIVENESS. All
of these are in the Bible too.

Remember:
To believe God,on the other hand, is to have faith that God will do for us whatever He has promised to do. He expects us to act on that belief. He requires that we have LIVING FAITH in His existence, power and promises.

May you find Living Faith!

Peace and Merry Christmas,
Grandma

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
If we're talking about the christian God, he didn't create all the different religions out there, humans did. God just gave us the free will to do so.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Angus123

No supernatural deity created religion. They sprang up in different geographical locations...

Good grief. There's someone who actually agrees with me on this thread.

Indeed. They sprang up. Or, better put perhaps, they emerged and evolved the same way language did, the same way sexual mores did, the same way culture, in general, does. Nobody consciously creates these things; they arise naturally out of what we are. Indeed, religion is essentially an aspect of culture.

Tell me: do you also agree with me that religions may emerge because they served a purpose in primitive cultures, but once emerged, tend to exist for their own benefit rather than the benefit of their carriers, i.e. us?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

No supernatural deity created religion. They sprang up in different geographical locations...

Good grief. There's someone who actually agrees with me on this thread.

Indeed. They sprang up. Or, better put perhaps, they emerged and evolved the same way language did, the same way sexual mores did, the same way culture, in general, does. Nobody consciously creates these things; they arise naturally out of what we are. Indeed, religion is essentially an aspect of culture.

Tell me: do you also agree with me that religions may emerge because they served a purpose in primitive cultures, but once emerged, tend to exist for their own benefit rather than the benefit of their carriers, i.e. us?

Totally...

They served a purpose in the beginning, in that they answered questions for people... where did we come from? Why are we here? Etc...
It mattered not that none of it was true... the people felt a little better having answers to their questions. And the promise that their crappy lives would one day end and they'd be rewarded in heaven kept them going.

But like all power structures, they corrupted over time and became a vehicle of control that the few held over the many. The promise of heaven was no longer enough to keep the people in line. So they invented hell. And the promise of paradise became the promise of unbearable never-ending torture if they didn't keep their place.

There are still countless people out there that prefer the comfortable falsehoods their religions provide to the cold truth that scares the crap out of them. And they will prostrate themselves to that power structure if that's what it takes to be able to get through the day secure in the knowledge that their sky daddy is watching over them.

And that one day their crappy lives will be over and they'll be rewarded in heaven... or they'll burn in hell, lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

"served"? "they answered"?

I like the past on that sentence... now tell me... Now that we are advanced and literate and we're not that primitive people anymore we dont need religion cause something else must have answered those questions scientifically... now tell me: Why are we here? Why do we exist? What is the purpose of life?

Can you answer them yet?

You see... I'm not a religious person, but science doesnt have any answers either... at least religion explains it "their way", they do have "theories", as for science... not even a "what if".

I agree that religion served as crowd control... but not always! There is still more to religion than simple "crowd control" or "lies to feed the masses"... Nah... theres something more. Its not a "simple" lie that everyone accepts or its easy to understand. There has to be some truth to religions...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Not a very smart question. If the OP had any knowledge on religion in general he/she would have figured out the answer without having to post a thread on it.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

"served"? "they answered"?

I like the past on that sentence... now tell me... Now that we are advanced and literate and we're not that primitive people anymore we dont need religion cause something else must have answered those questions scientifically... now tell me: Why are we here? Why do we exist? What is the purpose of life?

Can you answer them yet?

You see... I'm not a religious person, but science doesnt have any answers either... at least religion explains it "their way", they do have "theories", as for science... not even a "what if".

I agree that religion served as crowd control... but not always! There is still more to religion than simple "crowd control" or "lies to feed the masses"... Nah... theres something more. Its not a "simple" lie that everyone accepts or its easy to understand. There has to be some truth to religions...

Ah but there's the rub lad... science doesn't claim to have all the answers. Religion does. That is it's fatal flaw that will in time cause it to go extinct like the countless belief systems that have existed throughout time.

And unlike religion, if a scientific theory is proven wrong, then they accept that and move on, happy to have found out.

But no mater how many times religion is proven wrong, the faithful will stick their fingers in their ears and sing LA LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING TO YOU!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

now tell me: Why are we here? Why do we exist? What is the purpose of life?

Can I play too?

All Angus123 has said about the approach of science to the Big Questions is true. That doesn't mean science is unable to answer those questions. It can and has.

Why are we here?
So as not to make it seem as if you are repeating yourself, I'll take this question to mean 'why are we here (and now) and not somewhere else in space and time?' Science answers thus: we are here because this planet and its parent star provide exactly the right conditions for us to be here. And we are here at this time because the universe has arrived at precisely the right stage in its evolution to bring forth carbon-based life-forms of our type.

Why do we exist?
Evolutionary biology tells us that we are survival machines created by strange replicating molecules called genes in an effort to protect, preserve and propagate themselves in changing, often hostile environments. Given the laws of nature and the material constitution of the universe, the emergence of such replicators and the evolution of life are effectively inevitable.

What is the purpose of life?
The purpose of life is to have grandchildren.

These answers may seem mechanistic to you, and quite possibly fail to satisfy your yearning for meaning and direction in life. That does not mean they are wrong, nor that they should prevent you from making up your own, more personally satisfying answers and living by them.

At least they are not comforting lies, which is all religion has to offer.

[edit on 12/12/09 by Astyanax]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by gazerstar

It is all about the tribes natural instinct for survival, we haven't changes much, the weapons are just bigger.

I think it was how we evolved, and I still believe the belief in a higher power is necessary.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.latimes.com...

[edit on 093131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Wired Science News for Your Neurons
Religious Experience Linked to Brain’s Social Regions

Brain scans of people who believe in God have found further evidence that religion involves neurological regions vital for social intelligence.

In other words, whether or not God or Gods exist, religious belief may have been quite useful in shaping the human mind’s evolution.

“The main point is that all these brain regions are important for other forms of social cognition and behavior,” said Jordan Grafman, a National Institutes of Health cognitive scientist.

In a study published Monday in Public Library of Science ONE, Grafman’s team used an MRI to measure the brains areas in 40 people of varying degrees of religious belief.

People who reported an intimate experience of God, engaged in religious behavior or feared God, tended to have larger-than-average brain regions devoted to empathy, symbolic communication and emotional regulation. The research wasn’t trying to measure some kind of small “God-spot,” but looked instead at broader patterns within the brains of self-reported religious people.

The results are full of caveats, from a small sample size to the focus on a western God. But they fit with Grafman’s earlier work on how religious sentiment triggers other neural networks involved in social cognition.

That research, published in March in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, suggested that the capacity for religious thought may have bootstrapped a primitive human brain into its current, socially sophisticated form.

Grafman suspects that the origins of divine belief reside in mechanisms that evolved in order to help primates understand family members and other animals. “We tried to use the same social mechanisms to explain unusual phenomena in the natural world,” he said.

The evolution of our brains continues, said Grafman. “The way we think now is not the way we thought 3,000 years ago,” he said. “The nature of how we believe might change as well.”

www.wired.com...

Religion: Biological Accident, Adaptation — or Both
www.wired.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Love and empathy as social conditioning,

Did something go wrong, shouldn't we have figured this out by now?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join