It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Facts & Ten Myths On Climate Change

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Again, you are making assumptions. First of all, if you look at the OP, NOWHERE did I give my opinion. I put the paper up for comment and debate and that is what the members and you, are debating.

No. I'm not making assumptions. I am pointing out a fact.

True you didn't give your opinion in the OP. But you left no doubt just a few posts down the page:

I don't worry about Gore or his clowns. Unlike Gore, I was an NSF Fellow in graduate school. I think that credential carries more weight than Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize for his inconvenient lies. Al's educational background includes a B.A. in government, and failed attempts to get a law degree and a divinity degree in graduate school. He never did succeed in getting a graduate degree, although as is always the case with him, he says on his resume that he ATTENDED Law school.

Al Gore has exaggerated and lied all of his life.

Your personal agenda is obvious. Don't insult us with this "I'm only putting it up for debate" bullshiite.

You are purposely being mischievious, propagating slander in order to advance some personal vendetta. Or maybe it isn't personal? Maybe you are on someone's payroll (Tobacco? Oil? Faux News?). I don't know and don't care.

If you don't like the guy, fine. Slander, however, is beneath you. Oh. Sorry. I'm making assumptions aren't I? Maybe it isn't beneath you. My bad as they say.

[edit on 16/12/2009 by rnaa]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

You are purposely being mischievious, propagating slander in order to advance some personal vendetta. Or maybe it isn't personal? Maybe you are on someone's payroll (Tobacco? Oil? Faux News?). I don't know and don't care. If you don't like the guy, fine. Slander, however, is beneath you. Oh. Sorry. I'm making assumptions aren't I? Maybe it isn't beneath you. My bad as they say.

For someone who says that personal attacks are not ok, you sure have no trouble making them against me.
As for being on someone's payroll- get real. I am retired, and on no one's payroll. I never worked for any of the firms you mentioned, or any that have any dogs in this hunt.

You just can't seem to accept the fact that Al Gore has a very nasty habit of exaggerating FREQUENTLY. If you don't believe it, just Google- Al Gore exaggerates! Calling them "gaffs" as you do, is dishonest. Joe Biden gaffs, Al Gore exaggerates, period.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

I'd like to weigh in on the illustrious Mr. Gore. I should know something about this, as I live close to the Tennessee border, so close in fact that in my youth all of our television stations originated in Tennessee.

The Gores have had a long career in money. The tobacco farms that Al Jr. likes to mention so much were started before even his father was old enough to run them. The Gore family made their money originally in tobacco, a LOT of money. Al Gore Sr. used this position as one of the larger tobacco farmers to make connections to political powers and cut the family's traditional farming ties.

Al Gore Sr. was tied in to quite a few questionable political practices, not the least of which was a strong connection to Hammer's Occidental Petroleum, an oil company ran by Armand Hammer. Look that name up sometime; I assure you you will be shocked. I still remember one incident where an oil sheik (sorry, I can't remember his name) made a public statement that he "owned" Senator Gore (referring to Al Sr.) during some sort of press conference, while sitting in the same room with him. Senator Gore never said one word to the contrary... as a matter fact, it looked to me like he was smiling over the comment.

If Al Gore Jr. was raised on a tobacco farm, it meant he lived in the house, not that he actually worked on it. Neither did Al Sr., although he may have actually worked before his political career. Al Jr. grew up watching underpaid overworked laborers do the work he now claims (by insinuation) that he did. So it is no shock that he shut down the tobacco farming; they were never his main source of income anyway. It was just another company, and compared to what could be made with oil deals, a poorly performing one.

Al Jr. seems to like to talk about what an inspiration his father was to him. Every time I hear that, I tense up. I know what kind of inspiration his father was. And it scares the Hades out of me to think that Al Jr. idolizes this thief, this criminal, this opponent of freedom and the people he swore to serve.

Throughout his entire career, I have watched Al Jr. stretch the truth seemingly every time he opened his mouth. His father was at least a smooth-talking politician; he is not. It is no surprise to me when he is caught in exaggerations. It is his nature.

The Real Al Gore Sr.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Reread my post.

I didn't attack you, I just pointed out your obvious, and very public, lie.

I'm sure you are a sweet guy that helps little old ladies cross the street, and nowhere in that post will you find me saying anything different.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

None of which, not one word, has anything to do with the ongoing climate discussion.

If you don't like the messenger, fine, that is your privilege. Who gives a flying fornication? But the messenger is NOT the message, and if you don't like the message, I call on you to discuss your reasons and ignore the messenger.

Al Gore is a walking pop-sci article. He is not the scientist, he is translating the science for the public. Like any pop-sci article he occasionally gets his info wrong, late, or misconstrued. There are many thousands of pop-sci articles with this fault published every year, if not every month. The errors in a pop-sci article do not invalidate the science being reported, and for the most part provide a vital service to the public good.

Denying the message from 10,000's of scientists because one self-appointed spokesman gets a number wrong once in a while and his father was a 'ye olde time good ol' boy politico' is just plain ignorant and self-abusive.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

Denying the message from 10,000's of scientists...

I do not deny science. I question it. That is not heresy nor is it unscientific. It is an integral part of honest review.

I do, however, deny political maneuvering. That is the real issue. Even some CRU scientists have publicly stated that they do not have complete faith in their predictions. The politicians are the only ones who have such confidence.

...because one self-appointed spokesman gets a number wrong once in a while...

Once in a while is one thing. This man is a habitual (and possibly compulsive) LIAR. I will admit your point that he is not a scientist; he doesn't have the intellectual honesty nor the ability to be such.

He is, however, a spokesman for the 'green' movement, albeit self-appointed. As long as he is connected with your position, expect to get called on his antics.

and his father was a 'ye olde time good ol' boy politico'...

No, his father was a crook, a charlatan, a liar, and a thief. You do seem to have a knack for understatement.

...is just plain ignorant and self-abusive.

When someone communicates a message, it is not 'ignorant' nor is it 'self-abusive' to question the veracity of the message with respect to the source. After all, do you believe everything a car salesman tells you? Or do you verify what he says, more so if you do not trust his word?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
When someone communicates a message, it is not 'ignorant' nor is it 'self-abusive' to question the veracity of the message with respect to the source. After all, do you believe everything a car salesman tells you? Or do you verify what he says, more so if you do not trust his word?

TheRedneck

Agreed and a great segway to what I posted on page 1 on this thread concerning the author of "Ten Facts & Ten Myths on Climate Change"

So... he was the founding member of two organizations bankrolled by ExxonMobil, Western Mining, Monsanto and Phillip Morris...His focus was Geology ...until he started getting checks from big oil and mining..now he describes himself as an envirornmental scientist.

Oh did you notice Phillip Morris too..."Professor" Carter has claimed that the science behind ciggerete smoke being bad for you is BS as well.

Science for hire of the worst kind.

It would be good to see each side of the debate applying an equal standard of credibility independant of positions.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

It would be good to see each side of the debate applying an equal standard of credibility independant of positions.

I really hope you're not looking for an argument, because I agree with that completely. What is good for one side is good for another.

I will add that my earlier post was in reference to vetting information based on sources, not simply discounting such information. Even Al Gore gets his name right.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join