It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Nuclear Batteries to Power Micro Devices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Now here's something to think about. However, I know we have been using things like this in our smoke detectors.... but how are we going to dispose of all of this in 25 years.

Souce: Live Science

Now a company called Widetronix has developed new betavoltaics that can run for up to 25 years and perhaps power tiny devices in everything from military hardware to smartphone sensors.

Nuclear in this case does not refer to fission power and splitting atoms, but instead means the natural decay of electrons given off by radioactive sources. A semiconductor such as silicon harvests the decaying electrons in betavoltaics — similar to how semiconductors in photovoltaic cells collect photons from solar energy.

Wait... Did they say implantable device? Hmmmm, interesting!

Such tiny power sources could enable a growing swarm of tiny devices in civilian life. Greene said that his company is looking toward "ultra low power implantable devices" that might help physicians monitor the health of patients.

Well, it looks like Lockheed has their hands on this technology...

The U.S. military also likes what it sees in betavoltaics. Lockheed Martin has already begun testing some of the Widetronix batteries for use in anti-tamper military devices, which prevent enemies from tinkering with missiles or other sensitive military hardware. More powerful betavoltaics could someday power devices that help U.S. commanders keep track of their warfighters, aircraft, vehicles and drones.

Let me know what you think!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
They'll have to kill me before the implant anything radioactive in my body. But I'm sure they will say, "Oh it's way safe we have "scientific" studies that prove it." Meanwhile the government will help suppress the astronomical rise in cancer rates.

Although it is cool technology I can see them using this for very nefarious purposes.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
More almost eternally radioactive nuclear waste to control, just what every body needs.

Don't get me wrong, the implications of the batteries sound interesting, even beneficial to some degree, but humanity has a tendency to only look at these things from one side.

Nuclear energy is touted as cheap clean energy, and it appears so at first glance!

However, how clean is nuclear waste?

How cheap is it to control the nuclear waste for the next 25,000 years?

Just something to consider.

-Shane

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The search function will help you in situations like this.

Tiny 'nuclear batteries' unveiled

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Nematode

Nice of you to point that out... one that has made no contributions to ATS!

Appears to me that is something different and in a completely different forum.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread, I was just posting that for more information, the topic of Nuclear Batteries is a very interesting and frightening thought.

top topics

join