It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demise of the written word

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
People don't write any more, they BLOG and share their retarded viewpoints to the world. It's embarrassing.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison
bollocks, I just posted a thread about the Zuni indians, they're an illiterate culture and as a direct result, they remember things for longer & feel personally attatched to past events...they've had one murder in 300 years, still ashamed of it, still don't know why it happened, quite frankly, they ARE better people than 'modern' man, and they can't read or write.

-B.M

[edit on 10/12/09 by B.Morrison]

I have to agree with that, there is more to life and survival then literacy skills,

I am not skilled in that area, for some people writing seems to come naturally, others of us struggle, to get our point across,

hwvr thr wll alwys b rdn and wrtn,

There will always be changes, maybe we could go back to clicks, oral history,

or telepathy, I think we are losing our natural instincts.

[edit on 083131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

TPTB love to keep us ignorant and in the dark..what better way than to work towards cutting off all knowledge to us altogether.

I love to read, in fact I would rather read then write, and I would rather listen then speak, I can express myself better verbally,

oh phooey, theories here, a hypothesis there, this scientific theory is fact, that scientific theory is fiction,

People arguing all over the net over what is truth, and what is fiction,

Nothing changes, trust no one.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think that we're doing a good job of dumbing ourselves down.

dumbing-down-of-humanity.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Firstly, to re-iterate the last post:

Curses, I hit the back-button and lost the few hundred words I typed, that wouldn't have happened if I'd handwritten this... honestly I spent half an hour on that, so here's a brief summarisation...

* Are we just afraid of change? Those of us on here, I'd hazard are more inclined to discuss these things and are a small group in society, are we not just afraid of no longer being relevant? Sometimes I feel like that, talking to younger people, not understanding what they say or mean.

* Is the dumbing-down of education symptomatic of a conspiracy? I kind of got a little riled-up previously writing, but DAMMIT, people don't protest anymore (rarely), people don't riot anymore - we just sit at home (generally) consuming what we're told is good for us, running up more debt, not taking an interest in politics or our communities, just watching Britain's/America's Got (no) Talent, etc, dreaming the dreams of the lifestyles of the rich and brainless. Education is rarely something people aspire to.

* Language is a lovely, living breathing thing, it changes and develops, I think we're in danger of overlooking that slightly. Youtube Chris Morris for some lovely examples of corruptions of language that are actually VERY clever and interesting, also the movie Schizopolis has a very interesting take on language and its use.

* Taking language and learning into the future... I think digitised information will survive, it's 0s and 1s, should be fairly easy for a tech-advanced civilisation to decipher?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here is a quote from the dumbingdown web site (main page):

"In an experiment in 1969, Herbert Krugman monitored a person through many trials and found that in less than one minute of television viewing, the person's brainwaves switched from Beta waves-- brainwaves associated with active, logical thought-- to primarily Alpha waves. When the subject stopped watching television and began reading a magazine, the brainwaves reverted to Beta waves. "

Here's an article on how TV can become addictive and how it can hinder an individual's problem solving abilities and critical thinking skills.

findarticles.com...

As you can see, television is the most powerful goddamn force in the whole godless universe and woe is us if it ever falls into the wrong hands. Well, as we have already established, this awesome propaganda force is already in the hands of the CFR. Maybe this is why so few people know about the Bohemian Grove, Fractional Reserve Banking, the Illuminati, or the role that the occult has played in human history. The ignorance of the public is not so astonishing once you have grasped how powerful this tool is and how it has been used to produce an apathetic society.

I do not think however, that either typing or the Internet is the end. It is a switch from the Gutenberg Galaxy - as long as we have secure servers and backups and printouts of most important materials, there is no danger of losing significant information. Too many people want to keep it secure so unless a world catastrophe happens to several servers and backups the Internet is safer than many other things in our lives. We can think about the effect of digitalised writing though.

The Gutenberg Galaxy has produced its own backlash. Namely, most members of pre-literate societies have shown to have much better memory spans and skills than those who commit things to writing. They usually remember all their oral history, myths and relatives etc. By special exercises you can gain that power back - just try to recall all your weekly schedule for a few weeks without any paper notebook, calendar, or without a cell phone or a computer.

So far this like comparing shamanism with the religions of the Book. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

The modern tube-watchers have become passive, that is true. I think TV and cars are not the end though.
It is mind-blowing for an individual who grew up in an European city environment to contemplate the new space brought about by cars and freeways. When I moved to America in the 80's, I felt that most of it had been recently physically conquered.
People in the car-determined space no longer have the freedom to walk out of their houses and meet various other castes or layers. In most postmodern settings, the same kind of people are supposed to live near each other in quarters - e.g. a certin quarter is mainly middle class Black people etc. - and most people go everywhere with cars except the underclass who are supposed to live in "inner cities."
Can Americans today imagine that the term "inner city" used to mean the seat of culture and meeting points and cafés and publishers, and the place where people staged protests and revolutions and strikes - as little as sixty years ago?

Can you go to the streets now and do something with others? There is no place to go where you are exposed to others except shopping malls - and those temples of consumption are tightly controlled.

The world of cars and TV and shopping malls reorganised space radically (mostly during the 80's). I think consumer society wanted most communities to disappear. Control by merchants and manipulators is infinitely easier in the new postmodern space. You do not need to think about background powers, all you need as an explanatory principle is the merchant mentality and the segregation of the various kinds of people by their money and power situation. This spatial reorganisation is further complicated by racism, caste-ism etc.

If you want to prevent a revolution today, all you have to do is block the freeway exits, control TV, and people will be physically unable to organise anything, a strike or a revolution for example. They won't be even able to get out of their neighbourhoods - the place of protests would be far for walking.

I think the Internet is the only thing that saves us from this brave new world type of organisation. There are virtual communities etc. Sure, if someone cuts the line, only telepathy remains.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
One more thing on TV and Internet: within the Internet, I much prefer writing to embedded youtube etc. clips. Especially of talking heads. It reminds me of TV, and it is generally a hideously inefficient way to communicate.

I can scan through written material quickly, then delve into those parts important to me at my own speed.
With clips, I just have to wait out the painstaking time while the person talking will pronouce all the words.
On top of that, I cannot do a search.

The only time I like watching a clip is if A) it adds to written material by information that can only be transmitted by moving pictures; B) in the case of talking heads, if the person talking adds much to his/her material by a special dramatic delivery - and in that case, I would prefer to be acquaintained with his/her main thoughts prior to taking that long time to watch him/her talk...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Norway Lights a Rocket? Don't Make me LOL, Questions For The Supposed De Bunkers

-B.M

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join