It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Giant iceberg B17B heading toward Australia"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Update

news.smh.com.au...

Australia shipping alert over massive iceberg
December 11, 2009 - 6:44PM

Australian authorities Friday issued a shipping alert over a gigantic iceberg that is gradually approaching the country's southwest coast.

Experts believe the iceberg -- known as B17B -- is likely to break up as it enters warmer waters nearer Australia, creating hundreds of smaller icebergs in a hazard to passing ships.

"It's still 1,700 kilometres away, so it's quite a long way away, it's not really on our doorstep yet but it's been heading steadily towards us," glaciologist Neal Young said Thursday.

Young earlier told AFP that an iceberg of that size had probably not been seen in the area since the days when 19th century clipper sailing ships plied the trade route between Britain and Australia.

The iceberg has been floating around Antarctica since shearing off the icey continent but had lately begun heading north because of ocean currents and weather conditions.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

The Courier Mail? It must be true! With a bit of luck it'll steer off course and wipe out Melbourne.........

Ok jokes and sarcasm aside, it would be quite a sight if it made it's way near Perth. Maybe we should drag it to shore and use it to fill our dams. After all, most of this country is still suffering drought.

Didn't Dicky propose that very idea a few years ago?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I had a dream not long ago about seeing some disaster involving icebergs. The weird thing was that I wasn't in the dream, it was other people I was observing. They were rowing boats through it or something.

Someone has been watching the movie "Titanic" again...

<< 1   >>

join