It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Giant iceberg B17B heading toward Australia"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Did a search and couldn't find another post, but just found this in Brisbane's 'Courier Mail'

A GIANT iceberg bigger than Sydney Harbour is drifting north from Antarctica towards Western Australia, scientists have revealed.

The 140 square kilometre iceberg, which is 19km long by 8km wide and known as B17B, was spotted by Australian Antarctic Division glaciologist Neal Young using satellite images taken by NASA and the European Space Agency.

Dr Young said the iceberg is about 1700km south-south-west of the West Australian coast and moving north with the ocean current and prevailing wind.
“B17B is a very significant one in that it has drifted so far north while still largely intact. It’s one of the biggest sighted at those latitudes, now 48.8º S and 107.5º E” he said.

“As the water warms up the iceberg is slowly breaking up, resulting in hundreds more smaller icebergs in the area,” he said.

B17B calved from the eastern end of the Ross Ice Shelf nearly ten years ago.

www.news.com.au...

[edit on 10-12-2009 by bkaust]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Pretty cool! I wouldn't be too worried about it crashing into our coastline or anything it's still a long way out and will very probably melt before it gets to us - but wow wouldn't that be a sight to see if it did huh?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
They were reporting this on ABC news this morning. Fascinating stuff! One can only wonder if an iceberg that large holds any secrets that will sadly end up at the bottom of the ocean or as shark food... and no one any the wiser.

B17B - 4th From The Right

IRM

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You've got me thinking of some Atlantean ship or something, long held captive by the ice, melting and sinking to the bottom of the ocean never to be discovered. It's actually making me feel a little depressed lol. My overactive imagination sometimes gets the better of me

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
They were reporting this on ABC news this morning. Fascinating stuff! One can only wonder if an iceberg that large holds any secrets that will sadly end up at the bottom of the ocean or as shark food... and no one any the wiser.

B17B - 4th From The Right

IRM

Thanks for adding that pic! B15B looks like an absolutle monster in comparison to some of them!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
B15B looks like an absolute monster in comparison to some of them!

no doubt!
WOW

in regard to B17B, 10 years is a long time! i didn't realize they could take that long to melt.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You've got me thinking of some Atlantean ship or something, long held captive by the ice, melting and sinking to the bottom of the ocean never to be discovered.

You know the saying... "Stranger Things Have Happened At Sea".

IRM

[edit on 10/12/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I had a dream not long ago about seeing some disaster involving icebergs. The weird thing was that I wasn't in the dream, it was other people I was observing. They were rowing boats through it or something.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Hmmmm... don't go out on a boat in any case Nventual! That may have just been your disembodied spirit looking on! Perhaps you already drowned in the drink?

IRM

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

If that hits Australia, will we sink?

That is freaking massive.
I wonder how far it will get.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Maybe not sink, but it'll put a bloody great big dent on our nice beachline finish

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

hahaha i was more thinking when/if it gets close enough we would be waiting for the first tour company's or whoever to allow helicopters to charge people to fly over it and 'experience the iceberg for only $400 each' or something along those lines!
i'm sure somewhere someone's already planning to make money off it!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
reply to post by bkaust

I wonder how far it will get.

We should start a pool.....

50 bucks says it makes it about halfway.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I often go into a company that organizes tours to Antarctica via Chile called Aurora Expeditions, here in Sydney. I think they'll be chartering ferries from Adelaide soon, when this thing gets close.
reply to post by Kryties

Kryties, I'll take that Fifty on and back it to make it 3/4 of the way.

Now we need Foxsports, and the TAB to give us live updates, odds, and some commentary.

[edit on 10/12/09 by atlasastro]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Hehe I just had a funny thought - if we could get enough bet money together we could charter a boat, buy some supplies and cruise over to the iceberg. There, we shall set up camp, declare ourselves an independant sovereignty, plant a flag and call up our new mates over at Sealand and invite them over for a barbie!

There goes my overactive imagination again.....

[edit on 10/12/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

haha well there you go! You will have to let us know if you find out once this thing gets closer!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Sealand

Genius.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Hehe I just had a funny thought - if we could get enough bet money together we could charter a boat, buy some supplies and cruise over to the iceberg. There, we shall set up camp, declare ourselves an independant sovereignty, plant a flag and call up our new mates over at Sealand and invite them over for a barbie!

There goes my overactive imagination again.....

[edit on 10/12/2009 by Kryties]

Haha i love it! We need to get cracking on making a flag now then!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
That's one BIG hockey rink .! .... complete with circling sharks ,
... and everyone's the wiser .

Are B1 & B2 steering it ? Just what we need . More vitamin K

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I’m hoping it hits Perth..... finally that city will get what’s coming to it. Lol

God I hate that place.

Very interesting thread though, will be interesting to see how far it actually gets.

Mikey

top topics

<<   2 >>

join