It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bionic Fingers Give Amputees New Dexterity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This goes along with the robotic hand

I just find this awsome.

Link

British company Touch Bionics has created the world’s first powered bionic fingers that can be used by patients with missing fingers.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by capgirl]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
What wonderful great news. I wish I could give each one of these to the patriotic men and women in our military that need on. Star and Flag.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
That would be awsome. They all should get it free too. They shouldn't have to pay at all.

Thanks =)

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
These bionics are starting to get very advanced.
Although it would be nice to see an "extreme" version,made from titanium alloy,with super servos capable of crushing concretre,when the need arises.
If you have to have a bionic hand,it would be good to have one with super capabilities.

BTW,how are the hands powered?Do they have an internal battery,or are they powered soley from the nerve impulses?

Very I-robot.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Science is catching up to science fiction!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c735d9770e06.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I believe that the robotic hand is surgically placed. It is attached to the nerves. Then you are able to move it after working with it for awhile. Its like training it.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This is definately very cool, and I'm sure it most definately improves peoples quality of life. I'm just surprised no one has popped up spouting how this is just the government using injured soldiers to make super soldiers or something lol. Anyway, good post.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by capgirl
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I believe that the robotic hand is surgically placed. It is attached to the nerves. Then you are able to move it after working with it for awhile. Its like training it.

That is awesome-a proper human/machine interface.
I bet it will go along way in helping people to move on with their lives after such a horrid injury.
I hope that the designers will be creative with modifications as well-If you have had your hand blown off in service to your country the very least you deserve is the ability to add cutting lasers,a torch,retractable blade,usb/bluetooth net connectability,or sensor array to your new robot hand.Along with the concrete crushing capability of course.
And to be able to control the lot through muscle impulses...Wow.

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Why didn't the person just pray for a new limb?

Surely their god would have given it to them?

Or I guess we can just rely on science once again to make up for the lack of miracles that the sky-ghosts don't produce that so many people still worship.

*Sorry, not to go off topic. Just throwing it out there.*

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

There is an old saying (and I may be paraphrasing):

Pray to God. While you wait for an answer, row your own boat ashore.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I didn't know this had anything to do with God, but ooook.

top topics

join