It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ... Facebook Emergency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Ok, I do not use facebook, but my wife has an account for work reasons and to keep in touch with her friends.

Someone has apparently hacked into her account and and is posting spam under her username.

She uses a pc (XP) and quite frankly I haven't dealt with it for a few months cause I hate those things. I am doing all the updates right now and I am going to change her password right after that. But facebook help page says that it could be a virus on her computer which I find hard to believe since it is always running norton 360 with autoupdate.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Is this an issue on our end or fb's end?

If so do you know what the root cause is and how it can be permanently remedied without her having to change her whole fb account?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Man, that sucrifies, SDog. I'm afraid I'm no help, as I don't have a facebook account and in fact just popped in here to see what a Facebook emergency was.

I wonder if she could petition the management THIS LINK and get some help. It talks about "If you believe your account has been hacked or phished, please follow this link."

Good luck with it; sometimes people suck, and not in a good way.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This has happened to quite a few of my friends. They ran some thorough virus scans and changed their password and it seemed to do the trick.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It just happened to my son last week as well and he has a pc and runs vista.
Doing the usual housecleaning for it and password change..geez...:shk:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Its a face-book virus and loads of people get them, It comes from clicking a link that has been sent via another infected facebook user, Sull like "CLIck this link!! its scary"

www.facebook.com...

here is some steps to take, x

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I fix computers for living. It would blow your mind if you knew how many of them come in that have Norton products as protection and have Virus's and all the usual malware. Norton keeps me in business.

I am not sure exactly what you will need to do to get your password reset. I am sure facebook has the proper procedure to prove you are who you are and such. I would not recommend trying to log into facebook on the infected computer. It could very well have a key logger and no matter what you set as a password, the bad guy will know it.

Make sure you clean the computer of Virus's and any malware and replace the N360 with NOD32 or Microsoft security essentials. The latter is free and I have yet seen a computer come in with it and a virus.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by staple

I agree with you on the Norton products, all they do is take up alot of space and slow your box down. I use the following, all are free, and I have never had any problems.

AVG Antivirus
Malwarebytes
Comodo Firewall
Spybot

top topics

join