It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook - Public posting now default

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I don't use Facebook, but if I did, I'd change my settings.

Facebook users who don’t adjust their privacy settings will begin publishing their status updates and photos to the entire internet Wednesday, a change made by Facebook in its simplification of its privacy tools in order to keep up with the popularity of micro-publishing sites like Twitter. Facebook users logging in Wednesday will see a ‘transition tool’ that will show them how their old privacy settings map onto the new ones, and show them ’suggested’ new settings in a less complicated interface. For example, Facebook suggests that e-mail addresses are only shown to friends, while status updates are recommended to be made entirely public. Under the new settings, a user’s name, profile photo, gender and friend list are publicly available, as well.

Twittiots and Fecebook lovers rejoice! The whole world can see what you're doing all the time now.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by GioTheGreek]

[edit on 9-12-2009 by GioTheGreek]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sorry for the edits.

For some reason I can't link to the source.

Here's the link...

Facebook

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
thats fine by me,

i dont care what people see

but its worrying for others

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There's plenty of predators on Facebook.

This could be harmless for some , but plenty of kids and teens have accounts.

If they go public... surely it increases their chances of crossing paths with some weirdo.

Fecebook is Greedy.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GioTheGreek

I see your point however i hope the kids who are more vunerable too that stuff have their parents watching them.

Facebook is greedy, its all about money these days.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is pretty pointless. You could before already choose to share literally everything with the rest of the world if your the sort of person who thinks that other people give a dogs willy what your up to. As mentioned above it could lead to much creepiness! I will be sharing this with folks on facebook homepage (not that I expect many ppl read my posts)

Cheers for the heads up!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It looks like they want to make sure that they remain competitive with Twitter.

First came the new real-time homepage, which mimics Twitter’s "river of updates" model, and now Facebook is adding ways to make your entire profile public — allowing anyone on the site to see it without the need for a confirmed "friend" relationship.

I personally think Twitter is stupid, but that's my opinion.

When you become a follower to these celebrities, you turn into a real loser.

Who gives a sh*t what Kardashian sisters had for lunch. Twittiots.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
They should make public posting for 18 and older.

Grrrrrr Facebook.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is silly.

Its just took me 20 minutes to go through and sort it all out. No different to before, just Facebook seem to want to have made everyones information available to the world for a little while.

Wonder why they did that.
Sorry, wonder who paid them to do that.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

yeah exactly self...

They make hundreds of millions a year on advertising... this has to benefit either Facebook or a marketing firm or something like that.

I don't know the ins and outs... but it seems dodgy to me.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This is part of Facebook adjusting from small site to biggest site online.

For years the default setting was that only people in your "network" could see your updates. The problem is what your "network" was. In some cases it was a specific schoolor office. That made sense. In other cases though it was regional areas, which perhaps made sense at Facebook's inception, but does not any more.

Having your settings only show your updates to the 8 million people in New York City or the 5 million people in Chicago is not "privacy" so considering that, I think it's a good move on their part.

If you want to keep your updates to your friends only, there are such options.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nihilus

OK, fair point.
I totally agree.

What I don't like however, is the fact that my privacy settings were already set so that only my friends could see everything (people from my uni could see certain things)

Now, I've had to go through the newly expanded and seemingly more complex options menus to simply put it back to how it was.

I mean, they completely reset all my settings, when it wasn't really necessary.
Why not make it ALL private and let people publicise their pages as they wish?

Its things like that that show how the corporate world sees us as nothing more than a license to print money (via a few other things)

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
What Nihilus states is completely true and exactly what Facebook gives as the reason for the change. When I logged on yesterday I was given the option to walk thru the changes and make updates or keep my original settings (which were set to private anyway).

If you CHOOSE to share your info with everyone, you have that option.
But the new changes to the Network, provide for additional privacy and security. Nothing to get worked up over at all.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GioTheGreek

Who gives a sh*t what Kardashian sisters had for lunch. Twittiots.

my goddess I love you....

I hate people who are famous just for being famous...I love the Howard stern show but changed the second the Kardashians came on

digress....quickly!

Anyway I think if you don't want something public then don't use FB

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
To be honest, this really doesn't bother me.

I don't care if the whole world sees that my religious views are: I like Jebus and God gave Rock and Roll to you or that one of my favourite films is The Jungle Book.

If its really personal information, don't put it on Facebook. More fool you if you do.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
UPDATE!

Facebook's updated privacy settings and impending Google access could rip open a security hole allowing hackers to more easily steal personal information and break into critical accounts in identity theft schemes, experts say.

Well it looks that my early suspicions we're correct. Facebook's new privacy settings we're dangerous!

News Link

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Give me someones name address and photo and within 3 years they will be unemployable and homeless.

Its already been done and can be done to anyone and it become permanent and never goes away.

Got someone at work you don't like, a EX girlfriend, wife the a**h**e next door anyone can be screwed.

Want to get a higher position in the company just burn your boss on face book.
Make him look like a pervert or creep and his job will be open when the company finds out.

www.techdirt.com...
www.chicagobreakingnews.com...
lbjuice.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Nice post and well said.

Thanks for the links. Why do those stories not surprise me!

new topics

top topics

join