It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ego - Mankinds worst enemy or adversary???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The way i see it is that the Ego is behind all of mankinds ills....

for me it is what reacts, what tries to make sense of the world, what is inpatient, what is defensive, what is agressive. The ego represents for me the evils inate in man....

I dont really know the psychology behind it but i know many religions and beliefs have spoken of it and used different names from it...

My question is if manking learned to either erradicate the ego or live in harmony with it if that is at all possible....

Would the world be a better place?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I tend to agree with you on ego, its never done anyone any good...
But i see confidence as a good thing, people with ego's are always confident but in the wrong way... to selfish maybe, blind to how they effect others or just plain don't care because they thin they are better.
You need to be confident and not have an ego!

I find Greed is a bigger Killer of this world.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Greed, selfishness and so on...its all part of self preservation and the ego for me is behind it...

i hear what your saying about confidence but there is a fine line between that and arrogance...

i some times question if confidence is actually a good thing...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
You cannot eradicate the ego, because you need it for survival here on Earth. It is a tool, nothing more. Just remember that your are not your ego.

Education is the key.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
i agree...

i dont think we can detach from the ego quite yet and yes we need it on this earth but i think a point will come where we will overstand it and realise it is more destructive than life giving.

i also agree that the ego is like something that has been inserted in us to test us...

like the fall from grace....as tho satan or lucifer is the ego and its inside us...

i know it isnt me because i am love i am all things good and positive but it tests me continually...

i seriously want it out of me man

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Why do you want it out of you? Without it you'd be....?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
at peace....full of love and nothing more or less...

the way god intended...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The ego and a healthy dose of narcissism are necessary for survival. If there is one thing I can't stand are low self esteem cases. And I'm tired of people confusing confidence with arrogance. The people that usually do have low self esteem.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
well im tired of people with egos that have no compassion, love, understanding or sensetivity....

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste
Why do you want it out of you? Without it you'd be....?

Valid point. 3 seems to be the number that psychology, biology follows. It's accepted that a persons personality comprises of the Id, Ego and Super Ego. Another 3. There are 3 of all of us. The way we think of ourselves, they way people see us and the person you really are.

Without the Ego we are not ourselves. Unless one is a sociopath/psychopath the Ego is a good thing. It's our thoughts about ourselves. Our own personal diagnostics. How can that be bad? It let's you know what you can achieve.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Psychology is just another fabrication of the ego thats takes us away from love imho.

its intersting none the less...

i guess you could equate it to the body mind and soul or something to that extent.

but i still think the ego has done much more damage than good

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You must realize that Ego equally stimulates those that do good as well. I can be a bit egocentric from time to time, but my outlet is through philanthropy. My Ego drives me towards love and compassion because I know it is good, and I strive to do my best.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
the state you speak of can also be aquired through egolessness.

i still agree to differ.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
in some forms of meditation in Asian religions, egolessness is a mental state that is sought after. While at the basic levels, meditation is geared toward relaxation, the practice of advanced meditators may be aimed toward the purpose of dividing one from their awareness of "self," to a certain degree, and for a certain time. The ritual and religious treatment of meditation functions so that the individual learns to take the practice with seriousness; learning to gradually control their degree of relaxation such that undesired and harmful schisms do not occur to the psyche.

(Taken from wiki)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirit777child
the state you speak of can also be aquired through egolessness.

I disagree. Without the Ego there isn't impetus. Stagnation sets in.

i still agree to differ.

I like that.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
maybe momentum is the problem....stillness of mind , stilness of being to me is peace found.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
in any case im off to sleep...

i will reply tomorrow if there are any more posts...

laters

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit777child

Mankind has in common many unfortunate traits which incude ego but wouldn't inate fear, paranoia, greed, aggression, jelousy and a few more basic psycological characteristics contribute to mankinds foibles also?

And here's where all that originated:

The reason we all are in the gene pool today is because our relatives in the distant past were cautious enough, paranoid enough and when confronted aggressive enough to win or stay out of harm's way. Those traits worked well but aren't necessary for life in the burbs, down at the mall, or the cashier line at Wallmart! But that IS the way we are.

It is also what makes it difficult to really trust our neighbor, makes us vote for the candidate who talks the toughest, and makes it difficult not to shake our fist at the guy that cuts in front of our car!

Today the guy or gal that gets the job is the one that is the coolest, nicest, smartest, most composed and self confident. If we could just throw away all those neolithic genes that are holding us back! Or at least if my neighbor the brute could!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It's accepted that a persons personality comprises of the Id, Ego and Super Ego.

'Fraid not, intrepid. This idea has its origins in the work of Freud , which modern psychology no longer takes very seriously. Freud was a great writer and obviously a very insightful man, but his psychology was pretty much made up in his head; it is not supported by rigorous scientific observation or experiment. Freud's ideas remain popular among liberal-arts academics, some social scientists and the general public, but they no longer enjoy scientific currency. I admire Freud, but he was a creative artist or a philosopher rather than a scientist.

It is certainly not clear--indeed, there is not a scrap of scientific evidence to prove--the existence of the three entities you mention.

And even in Freud's dubious hierarchy, the ego--which is, of course, nothing more than the Latin word for 'I'--is the part of us we think of as ourselves. The id is nothing but a bundle of instincts and drives, a brainless animal. The superego is something more like a conscience. The ego is the seat of consciousness, the place where 'you' sit.

So, even if it really existed in that Freudian sense, ego is not our worst enemy or adversary: it is us.

Excellent, balanced web article on Freud and his theories.

Entry on Freud in the Internet Encyclopaedia of Philosophy. Discusses the scientific validity and therapeutic efficacy of his ideas. Here's an excerpt:

Such clinical tests as have been conducted indicate that the proportion of patients who have benefited from psychoanalytic treatment does not diverge significantly from the proportion who recover spontaneously or as a result of other forms of intervention in the control groups used. So the question of the therapeutic effectiveness of psychoanalysis remains an open and controversial one.

Id, Ego and Super-Ego at Wikipedia

[edit on 9/12/09 by Astyanax]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Rather than nitpicking at the different angles i think we need to focus more on the ego itself and ways to overcome it. The ego is responsible for every conspiracy every wrong everythig negative about us and our world. its time to say goodbye to it and work on ways to take ego out of the equation. many masters have done this now we have to evolve and do it also...or we are all doomed!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join