It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kucinich to force House vote on troop withdrawal from Afghanistan and Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Rep. Dennis Kucinich plans to force a House of Representatives vote early next year on whether to withdraw U.S troops from Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The Cleveland Democrat announced today that he's begun circulating a letter to colleagues, that asks if they'd be willing to cosponsor his two privileged resolutions to "trigger a timeline for a timely withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Pakistan" and invoke the War Powers Resolution of 1973 to assert the Constitutional right of Congress "to decide whether or not America enters into war, continues a war, or otherwise introduces armed forces or material into combat zones."

Although President Barack Obama has asserted that prior actions by Congress permit him to respond militarily to the attacks of September 11, 2001, Kucinich says that shouldn't keep Congress from revisiting the war. He says the United States should keep trying to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice, but pursuing wars throughout the Middle East to find him backfires by inflaming anti-American sentiment.
www.cleveland.com...

Sounds good, I mean I applaud his authentic dedication to his country, but man is he standing alone in a crowd full of idiots or thieves or both.

It's pretty sad honestly

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

He nor congress choose when the Soldiers come home, The President does as he is the Commander in Chief. However, Congres controls the purse strings, they can cut off the funding. Then When they cutoff funding Americans will be pissed, because there leaving soldiers in a thoughtless war with no support.

This is grandstanding plain and simple and he knows it.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

That is an incorrect assertion. Congress can force a vote to end the wars and Obama MUST abide by their decision.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Kucinich is taking a risk here besides Ron Paul what other congressman is willing and openly taking on the Terror/Industrial Complex?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Given the fact that Karzai himself has now said that it will be at least 15 years before Afganistan can financially support its own forces -- they are no longer voting on a 2011 anything. Not even wishful thinking can consider 2011 as a possibility.

The truth is, whether our troops are home or not, the Afganistans are now expecting to be financially supported by the US and other allies for 15 years. Karzai has put the emphasis on the US however, citing the fact that we were their "first ally".

That, to me, paints an entirely new perspective. I just can't imagine -- with all of the on-going corruption in Afganistan -- sending them billions and billions of dollars each year for more than 15 years so that they can develop what they consider to be an adequate police and military force.

How many czars will it take to track THAT money I wonder??

[edit on 9-12-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

No they cant read the Constition and subsquent laws, they can control the purse strings.. This debate was had durning Vietnam congress diddnt withdraw troops then they wont do it now

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I recommend you read the authority given to congress on these issues in the war powers act, as it was passed AFTER Vietnam.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
There are people on both the right and the left who will support Kucinich.

But probably not enough to keep the House from appropriating funds to continue the war in Afghanistan.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by ModernAcademia

He nor congress choose when the Soldiers come home, The President does as he is the Commander in Chief. However, Congres controls the purse strings, they can cut off the funding. Then When they cutoff funding Americans will be pissed, because there leaving soldiers in a thoughtless war with no support.

This is grandstanding plain and simple and he knows it.

If the president decides when the troops come come... How will it be "congress" who leaves the troops with no support? it's the president who will be ordering them to stay with no money.

If there is no money for the war, the president should plan accordingly and bring the troops home rather than leave them there with nothing.

If the taliban win the war or US troops all leave tomorrow, US citizens won't lose any rights or be less free to go about their daily routine and a whole bunch of people will get to live longer lives. Where does humanity lose?

Oh yea, humanity doesn't lose by ending wars.. politicians and their stupid sheep followers lose... nothing but "face". Nice to see we are so petty, as a nation we support killing to prevent being embarrassed at failing miserably.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Dennis "Napoleon" Kucinich will say or do just about anything to get the spotlight shining on him instead of shining over his head. I've lived in his district long enough to know that he is man of many words and very little action. He likes to play the rogue rebel role. Perhaps he has an obsession with James Dean.

Frankly, I hope that he does not get reelected to another term. His union supporters have lost virtually all of their jobs and he can't win without them.

new topics

top topics

join