It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anal fissure: unbelieveble pain, misdiagnosis and stigma.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Since I was a youngster I noticed blood running from my anus. Yes, ANUS. We all have them, like nipples, ears and toes.
Last year I felt like somebody had shoved a breadknife up my rectum, and I had to go for an operation. Since then I'm managing, but dropped loo paper for Muslim-style washing, and I try to eat raw veg. Yet, every few months the pain still comes back.
I was told there is no real general explanation or cure. Many people get it after taking opioid pain-killers that cause constipation. (The doctors creating a problem to keep the money rolling in?)
Then, I also heard it was related to anxiety/panic-attack prone personalities.
Well, can anyone sympathise with unsatisfactory treatment, explanations and causes?
(see also the crucial but limited: www.boardsailor.com...)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The worst is the feeling of aloneness with this condition.
There is no information.
People around me get a grasp of the pain (I refused to eat just to avoid the toilet), but it's still a bit of joke: "Ha, ha: some big guy did him last night." But really its one of the modern tress-related conditions that have no real cause.
Many people deny it, the immense pain. Somebody could at least back me up on the pain.
what do you do wuith such pain when you are in a stuation whre you can't get medical help? At least my doctors understood, but a few years back they would have sent you home with pile cream, because it didn't really exsit.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

That's a lot of laughs for a response to someone with a serious problem.

Very classy.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Man, I feel for you. I have had my own issues-but not like this. My issues appeared to have gone away (99%) from me changing my diet-mostly.

My friend suffers from this problem. I will be sure to ask him for any info as I know he has recently seen a doctor about it.

I have to ask, but I don't want to. Do you, or have you, had cyst around the anus opening? If so, large? [Don't ask cause you really don't want to know why I ask.....]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Bad metaphor perhaps, but how else can one explain the pain?
And then one gets no info, and many people live with the constant bleeding and pain before they reach the anal fissure "death roll". It ain't no joke.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I cannot believe that your GP hasn't referred you to a Gastroenterologist for a Colonoscopy. If there was a reason for your pain & your bleeding, it would show up with a Colonoscopy.

Also, a diet of fresh, healthy fruits & vegies, plenty of grains for roughage, & you realy do need to drink 2-3 litres of water per day ( not as coffee either! )

For the pain, panadol, but you really do need to get back to that GP. If unsatisfied with the answers, go get a second opinion----and not from the internet, speak to a real person!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Halfoldman

If I might phrase this delicately?....

Are the fissures caused by tearing the mucous membrane when you have a bowel movement? Because the stool is hard and dry?

If diet has not worked to produce a soft stool might I first suggest that you try eating some stewed prunes daily and drink lots of water (try about a quart of water every 8 hours) in addition to what you normally drink.

Then, if you believe that a change in diet will not help you, the alternative is to apply a generous dollop of an appropriate lubricant prior to having a bowel movement. This should prevent any tearing of the tissue.

Or have you tried this already?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Not as far as I know. I had my anus streched in an operation (apparently the fissure itself was quite visible) and got given Nitro-cream (poppers for the butt?), but "cysts" were never mentioned to me.
I still have a feeling from the demeanor of the doctors and so, that they considered me an easy return customer (insured, of course).
The only thing is I'm HIV poz, my CD4 is dropping and there will probably no future ops. What then?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Have you tried dramatically increasing the amount of oils and vegetable fats in your diet? Increase in cod liver oil, coconut oil, that sort of thing.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, I haven't heard of this before but it sounds miserable. I don't understand why you say "no medical help". I searched google and found half a dozen different medical treatment options. Even on wikipedia. Why don't you find a different doctor? Or travel to somewhere that can treat you properly? You should at least keep trying rather than give up.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

A good friend of mine went through it and has surgery to repair the fissure. Also had to adjust her diet accordingly...and yes, the pain was unreal.

Find the right doctor...it can be dealt with satisfactorily, and good luck.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Thank you for all the input and knowledge, especially the people with friends who went through it - you will know.
From what I'm reading the condition is expanding rapidly, and soon Oprah will have an anal fissure and we'll all know.
I went through weeks of eating much raw broccoli and celery sticks. I actually love it fresh with some celery salt. I still ate other foods too. But the one night my mom made a big pot of noodles, and our visitor turned out a raw food fundie as well. So I ate it all, and next the fissure was back.
So I am suspecting it may have to do with wheat-allergy, or fibre changes.
The doctor won't tell you that though.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well since they make cheap beer that gives you the poops in a liquid form...how bout trying a few of the cheapest beers as a bit of help.

Kudos to you for making a thread like this...it takes guts to be this revealing to strangers.

Second option is cut out wheats and glutens from your diet.
That means no beers tho.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Of course jokes don't only flow one-way: One of my Christian friends found me in hospital after the operation (she hadn't been told why I there though), and she offered: "Must I come, or get somebody to lay on their hands".
I mumbled back in response: "Yes, your gorgeous husband, it's my ass!"
I never heard such laughter!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Since I was a youngster I noticed blood running from my anus. Yes, ANUS. We all have them, like nipples, ears and toes.
Last year I felt like somebody had shoved a breadknife up my rectum, and I had to go for an operation. Since then I'm managing, but dropped loo paper for Muslim-style washing, and I try to eat raw veg. Yet, every few months the pain still comes back.
I was told there is no real general explanation or cure. Many people get it after taking opioid pain-killers that cause constipation. (The doctors creating a problem to keep the money rolling in?)
Then, I also heard it was related to anxiety/panic-attack prone personalities.
Well, can anyone sympathise with unsatisfactory treatment, explanations and causes?
(see also the crucial but limited: www.boardsailor.com...)

You must make sure it stays sewn up.
Being HIV positive you can't afford to have an open wound there.

You need the rectum checked as this can happen from constipation stretching it so the stools push into a "siding" (think train lines)
Further pushing only weakens the rectal wall further and the faeces hardens into a boulder. When you do finally get it out it causes tearing.
So you might needs some internal repair work too.

With any bowel problem you need to eat as little meat or empty calories as you can be content with, and bulk up your diet with fruit, veges and home-made porridge. Take at least a teaspoon of vitamin C each day to reduce infection, speed healing and keep the stools soft. Oranges are particularly good as they are high in fibre and potassium, and potassium keeps the bowel working. A shortage of potassium slows the peristaltic action and causes constipation.

After passing stools it may be an idea to check inside the rectum with a finger to make sure it's empty. If it does not empty completely get yourself set up so you can give yourself a small enema of boiled water and a little salt, hold it 5 minutes, and that will help the rectum to empty properly.
(A nail-brush is essential.)

I reckon 45% of the misery in the developed countries is caused by bowel problems and 45% by loneliness.
Good luck with your problems. A comfy bum makes the rest almost bearable.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa
Thanks, I didn't know it could be sewn up.
The nitro-oinment provides relief when it does occur.
(And now apparently no pharmacist knows how to make it), unless I revisit the surgeon.
The nitro ointment causes headaches.
Strangely, I got U2U of people with the same problem.
The social stigma really surprises me.
But I cannot say how much I tell my doctor about it either.
I certainly never expected this in a chit-chat forum?

[edit on 9-12-2009 by Koalabunny]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Omega 7 Fatty Acids are good for the working of your mucous membranes. Perhaps you could look into that.

top topics

join