It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subcommittee OKs college playoff bill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
What a bunch of "Much Ado About Nothing".

If some of you folks are so worried about congress getting into
this . . . . take a break.

You all sound like you're anxiety-driven . . . right on the edge . .

Lighten up! It's football . . college football . . and by God every team
in America should have the right ( when earned ), to play for the
national championship. Not just the "big names". And we don't
need big corporations telling us who matches up best for the
ratings and the advertisers.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by saabster5

I understand your frustration, but this thread is more about congress / government being involved in the decision to go to a playoff format.

Not who should or shouldn't be playing etc.

Thanks for posting though.

But that is what this is about. As long as a system, such as the BCS, ensures that mid-major and below conferences never see the championship game, then cities like Boise, Cincinnatti, etc. will miss out on the HUGE payout awarded to the universities for the invite.

Not to mention, coach's salaries/ worth of job. Les Miles has and has had a huge clause in his contract awarding big bonus for just reaching the BSCNCG. Why would top name coaches want to go to schools not in BCS and coach? They will never see the big dance. The teams suffer, the universities suffer, the cities, the states, and the business owners in the state.

The traditional powers (UF, LSU, ALA, USC, TX, OK) will continue to get richer while the smaller TCUS and Boises are never invited to the table. That is why congress is involved.

College football is big business. If you think otherwise, you're just not spending much time on the landscape.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Did you not read the article, the ones sponsoring this and pushing for it are Republicans.
Either way, they are one in the same.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Gee, I guess, things like unemployment, the military actions in Afganistan, Iraq, the issues with Pakastan, the upcomming Copenhagen meeting, the economy, healthcare, the excess of unspend money from the past stimuluses, all of the different bailouts, fraud, corruption, and all of the problems facing the nation and our government has time to waste on this? Kind of makes no sense, and maybe it might be a sign of the times in 2010, to just vote out the incumbents.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It's about time the government deals with these important matters instead of wasting time with global warming and health care.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Gee, I guess, things like unemployment, the military actions in Afganistan, Iraq, the issues with Pakastan, the upcomming Copenhagen meeting, the economy, healthcare, the excess of unspend money from the past stimuluses, all of the different bailouts, fraud, corruption, and all of the problems facing the nation and our government has time to waste on this? Kind of makes no sense, and maybe it might be a sign of the times in 2010, to just vote out the incumbents.

Gee, and I guess things just bother some of you to no end.
Let me ask you a question . . "What if they get it right, and every-
body who loves football and plays football feels happy about the
decision ?"
Why, you'd have waves of euphoric fans across the nation enjoying
a break from all of the woes mentioned in the above post, wouldn't
you ? Enjoying sports, a letting go, if only for a few hours, of
the troubles and problems we have to deal with everyday. Knowing
that one of our favorite past-times is legit makes the escape even
sweeter.
So get out there, pass the ball around for awhile, get a "feel" for
the game, and hike the damn thing ! Enjoy ! It's legit . . legit !

[edit on 9-12-2009 by SIEGE]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIEGE
What if they get it right, and every-
decision ?
you ?

Yes, because a day of joy over a football game will completely erase the unemployment rate, national debt, end both wars, and bring massive government spending to a halt. Football is just that important.

Back on topic, it's nice to see that this subcommittee is focusing on what's truly important in this country.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SIEGE

What we're trying to say is, the college football playoff "problem" isn't for congress to spend time on, especially in the current state the U.S. is in.

I would love a playoff system in college football, BCS is terrible and not fair to teams, I agree.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

reply to post by SIEGE

What we're trying to say is, the college football playoff "problem" isn't for congress to spend time on, especially in the current state the U.S. is in.

I would love a playoff system in college football, BCS is terrible and not fair to teams, I agree.

I understand what you're trying to say. I also understand that this
problem has not been handled very well by the lower levels of
political representation. So . . we go to a higher level . . and maybe
get some positive results.
Give congress a break. Do you really think they asked to be put into
this situation . . knowing how some of you would come running out
of the woods to bite their ankles and remind them that there are
certainly more important things that need tending to than this ?
It's just a thing . . . not a "big" thing.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

What if they get it right, and every-
decision ?
you ?

Yes, because a day of joy over a football game will completely erase the unemployment rate, national debt, end both wars, and bring massive government spending to a halt. Football is just that important.

You . . you are . . you are just so wrought with worry ! So what
would you like to see . . tell me. You want everyone's nose to the
grindstone, don't you ? There'll be no damn enjoying yourselves
until all of the nation's problems and half of the world's problems
are resolved, right ? Maybe we should prohibit congress from sleep?
No laughing. And absolutely no mention of football or anything
vaguely related ? Do you think they asked for it ?
( I'm drowning over here, give me some more water ! )

Back on topic, it's nice to see that this subcommittee is focusing on what's truly important in this country.

I interjected into your quote. Sorry.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by SIEGE]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
edit - nevermind.

Posted too soon. DUH

[edit on 9-12-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

You . . you are . . you are just so wrought with worry ! So what
would you like to see . . tell me. You want everyone's nose to the
grindstone, don't you ? There'll be no damn enjoying yourselves
until all of the nation's problems and half of the world's problems
are resolved, right ? Maybe we should prohibit congress from sleep?
No laughing. And absolutely no mention of football or anything
vaguely related ? Do you think they asked for it ?
( I'm drowning over here, give me some more water ! )

Yes, that was exactly what I was saying. I couldn't possibly have been pointing out that Congress has more important things to worry about than legislating football. They have plenty of off-time to watch football and enjoy themselves since heaven knows they don't actually do anything when they bother showing up for work. Had they been doing their jobs for the last couple of decades we might not be in the spot we're in right now. Is it really too much to ask that they focus on things that are actually a problem, and oh I don't know fix them, instead of legislating sports?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well I have been pouring over my Constitution, you know the guidelines by which the Government operates. Anyway I have yet to find anything that suggests that it is the job of the Government to regulate how the sports industry is run.

Now there were quite a few other things that they are supposed to be doing but I guess they would have to read the document that they have sworn to protect to understand just what it is they're actually supposed to be doing. Maybe we should remind them.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
"What if they get it right, and everybody who loves football and plays football feels happy about the decision ?"

The only thing the Government can "get right" which also involves bombs, shotguns and aerial attacks is a false flag operation.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
"What if they get it right, and everybody who loves football and plays football feels happy about the decision ?"

The only thing the Government can "get right" which also involves bombs, shotguns and aerial attacks is a false flag operation.

Well . . . you're right of course. I've been put in my place!
However, I just wanted to stress the fact that I don't think congress
really wanted any part of this. ( It's like the supreme court getting
cases that should have been resolved at the state level.) I do
believe all of you are right about the priorities . . it's just . . geez . .
why does everything have to be a big, bad mess ? Surely there
were some good intentions here.
Down the road, after this goes away, I hope college football brings
out the best in all of us.
I shall leave now . . . and hang myself.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Y'all continue to miss the point. I think the equal opportunity for all universities / football programs to compete for a share of MILLION dollar payouts is something Congress should definately be involved in.

The money generated includes season ticket sales (which re: football, is pretty much the cornerstone of any athletic dept. budget for ALL sports supported by the univ.) merchandising, TV deals, and to a lesser extent concessions will all be affected by the exposure of a MNC claim. And let's not forget the actual payout for the bowl invite: 17 milion for the National Champion??!!!

stories.icerocket.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

This still doesn't need congress' involvement to make it happen.

There could still be bowl games, each bowl game is a play off game, the money is still there.

Congress shouldn't be the ones to worry about how to do this. Leave it up to the universities, coaches, anyone but congress.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

This still doesn't need congress' involvement to make it happen.

There could still be bowl games, each bowl game is a play off game, the money is still there.

Congress shouldn't be the ones to worry about how to do this. Leave it up to the universities, coaches, anyone but congress.

It has been. For the last 100 years or so of college football as we know it, and a biased BCS system is the best they can come up with so far. So, if not Congress, then who to settle this mess?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Good question, I don't have the answer.

The Fans?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
YES finally the congress is doing something right....NOTTTTTTTTTT

What a bunch of Pompous, arrogant, ass clowns. The country is falling apart at the staples and they want to pass laws making a college level playoffs, if that isn’t the biggest bunch of crap I have ever seen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join