It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subcommittee OKs college playoff bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Subcommittee OKs college playoff bill

sports.espn.go.com

A House subcommittee approved legislation Wednesday aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine a national champion, over the objections of some lawmakers who said Congress had more pressing matters on its plate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You've got to be kidding me.

Congress is now involved in U.S. College Sports. What a waste of time and money.

Ordinarily not too much bothers me, but this, now, this day, with our economy the way it is.

The government is having to bailout the auto industry and banks, congress wants to involve themselves into college sports.

I Just can't believe this. Please tell me I'm dreaming?

sports.espn.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Waste of money? Do you know how much cash these bowl games produce, in terms of ticket sales, concessions and retail? Not to mention spreading the wealth to cities, airlines, hotels, restaurants, etc?

A playoff system means more games, games that are meaningful that would attract larger crowds. I think that is good for the country in terms of economy.

I just don't see how we can support all these other bowl games (what, 32 now? 36?) if it will all boil down to a playoff...?

The BCS needs to be replaced, that's for sure. You think I would watch a Bama/ TCU or Cinci BCS Champ game? Not me. It will happen soon. We could very easily be watching TCU vs. Boise St. for the nt'l championship. Yuck!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

I meant the waste of money havnig congress / government involved in this.

The bowl game money could still be there and available, just make the bowl games the playoff games, leading up to a national championship game.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I don't care how much supposed money a playoff system will generate, it is not the governments job to be regulating how the sports industry is run.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Good to see they are focused on the issues that matter.

I dont buy the "these games produce money" argument. They happen once per year, and ONLY produce money during that time. They do NOTHING to help the economy as a whole.

Seriously, these are the guys we are choosing to keep in office?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
I'm sorry, but I don't care how much supposed money a playoff system will generate, it is not the governments job to be regulating how the sports industry is run.

Sums it up for me, as well.
Side note: didn't Obama make a side comment about this in an interview, once? Can't remember exactly, but I swear he commented on wanting to see the system changed.
Not saying that's good/bad/indifferent...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
maybe so. But if Congress doesn't get involved, the NCAA will never agree to a playoff system. The argulment is that the regular season is a playoff. College football is the only sport that the NCAA doesn't crown its own champion, and I don't think it has any intention of ever doing so. Leave that to the voters to crown the winner of the BCS champ game. Even that doesn't always work, ie: LSU/USC in 2003.

All weve ever had are MNCs. Mythical Nat'l Champs.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
A previous post is the reason I don't like the BCS system. Because a no-name school like Boise St or TCU goes undefeated and doesn't get to play for the championship. TCU plays in a tough non-BCS conference. The level of football played by this team for the past 5 years is at or above BCS level schools. The Mountain West Conference gets no respect, even after Utah went to beat 'Bama last year, and not just a beating...it was like Utah was playing a Division IAA school. The BCS didn't want that to happen again...so pit 2 non-BCS teams against each other and don't worry about them upsetting these other "national powerhouses"....please.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

yes he did

Shortly after his election last year, Obama said there should be a playoff system.

"I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit," Obama said at the time. "I think it's the right thing to do."

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yes he did actually. This is something that he was "joking" about. Kinda makes you wonder what else he has said that was supposed to be a "joke".

And this serves absolutely no purpose for anybodies benefit. It is a freaking trophy is all it is. It has no bearing on the importance of life.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is going to backfire on Congress bigtime.

Somehow this'll turn into a left/right debate I'm sure.

Peace

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by saabster5

I understand your frustration, but this thread is more about congress / government being involved in the decision to go to a playoff format.

Not who should or shouldn't be playing etc.

Thanks for posting though.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I can already see it in the making

Dems want to turn the playoffs into no winners or losers, says a GOP source

GOP is blocking all meaningful attempts at this important once in a lifetime oppertunity, says Dem. spokesperson.

This should turn out real well. It isn't like we are running 12 trillion in the red and wanting to spend trillions more or anything. Then want to spend more money after that.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The problem is that with the current system, some teams that may be deserving of a "bigger" bowl game get shunned because advertisers want the "traditional" match-ups. Thus ensuring that same schools get the big $ every year. I see no problem with the government stepping in. College football generates more money then any professional sport, and the government is all up in the pro's business...and the pros don't seem to be suffering from it.

I welcome a playoff system, it balances thing out...and extends the football season.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Well that's what I am getting at. There are a growing number of fans/schools that have voiced their frustrations about the BCS and how it's bias towards big schools is ruining a supposed sport where money isn't involved like the professional sports world.

Now should the government be involved in something like this? I say no, but at some point when constituents start complaining and voices not being heard...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

There will be new labels thrown around like "playoff deniers". Then "playoff deniers" will be labeled terrorists, and we'll finally come full circle into complete lunacy.

Peace

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

That it will. I can't wait to see the fireworks from this. I'm going to be watching to see who votes for this, if anybody that represents my district so much as votes either yes or no on this I'm voting against them.

There are more pressing matters to deal with.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Actually, though I don't disagree with you, government is already involved in multiple ways in the sports entertainment industry, including dealing with antitrust exemptions and a plethora of other regulatory issues.

Now, they should mandate a Mets championship every decade in the spirit of charity ...

Insofar as the BCS thing ... meh, just more bread bowls and circuses.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Oh join good to see my 6K a quarter in taxes is being used effectively by the 545 MOB!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join