It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Does Death Exist? New Theory Says 'No'"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The Link

One well-known aspect of quantum physics is that certain observations cannot be predicted absolutely. Instead, there is a range of possible observations each with a different probability. One mainstream explanation, the "many-worlds" interpretation, states that each of these possible observations corresponds to a different universe (the 'multiverse'). A new scientific theory - called biocentrism - refines these ideas. There are an infinite number of universes, and everything that could possibly happen occurs in some universe. Death does not exist in any real sense in these scenarios. All possible universes exist simultaneously, regardless of what happens in any of them. Although individual bodies are destined to self-destruct, the alive feeling - the 'Who am I?'- is just a 20-watt fountain of energy operating in the brain. But this energy doesn't go away at death. One of the surest axioms of science is that energy never dies; it can neither be created nor destroyed. But does this energy transcend from one world to the other?

Very cool. The ideas themselves are not really all that new, what is new however is that science is actively looking into the question of death.

According to Biocentrism, space and time are not the hard objects we think. Wave your hand through the air - if you take everything away, what's left? Nothing. The same thing applies for time. You can't see anything through the bone that surrounds your brain. Everything you see and experience right now is a whirl of information occurring in your mind. Space and time are simply the tools for putting everything together.

Death does not exist in a timeless, spaceless world. In the end, even Einstein admitted, "Now Besso" (an old friend) "has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us...know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." Immortality doesn't mean a perpetual existence in time without end, but rather resides outside of time altogether.

This is new to me, I guess I am fairly Biocentric and have not put much thought into the 'fiction' I create to understand my world.

I find it fascinating to think that my perception of space and time is an illusion created by my mind.

Anyway I thought this was a cool article and brought up some interesting theories and applied them to life/death. Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is the basis of Buddhist beliefs.

Science is catching up to Ancient religion.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gamma MO
This is the basis of Buddhist beliefs.

Science is catching up to Ancient religion.

Very cool. Care to elaborate? Cheers

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm at work so I don't have time to actually write so I'll just steal from a website:

The idea of “everything is illusion” is one we in the western world have a lot of trouble wrapping our brains around. Yet, it is a central message in Buddhist Belief and is also central in many other eastern spiritual traditions.

So, is there some way to understand this wisdom?

As a person who is in the stage of life where the aging process, illness and death are more evident, it does become a bit easier to realize that everything IS illusion

One of the things I was taught many years ago when I first began to follow a Buddhist lifestyle, was to have the attitude when I was meditating to “dissolve the self”. It sounds so simple, doesn’t it? Just be in the present — pay attention to the breath — and the “self” will begin to dissolve.

Isn’t death just another concept? Isn’t it another mental construction? Is it possible (as many Buddhist yogis have claimed), to transcend the notion of so-called “death”? As one of the many teachers I’ve read (don’t remember which one) said, “A flower doesn’t talk and complain when it is starting to decay”. Of course, the flower doesn’t have a mind to construct illusory conditions.

Buddhism in Simple Language

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Just have a listen to the Beatles from Revolver onwards.

There are some definite messages in there.

Turn of your mind, relax and float downstream, it is not dy-ing, it is not dy-ing.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I would agree with Gamma that science is "catching up", but I think science is also now postulating on the existence of a SOUL.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This has inspired me to check out Buddhism. Something I have kind of glanced over the general ideas of, but never really attempted to understand!
I'm currently reading Imagining the Tenth Dimension aswell and so far I would reccomend it to anyone! I feel like cyclical patterns can be observed everywhere we look and alot of our early ancesters worship these ideals. The idea of death then an eternal afterlife doesn't sit right with me, I feel as though it might get a bit old.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Good article.

It also says this:

Death does not exist in a timeless, spaceless world. In the end, even Einstein admitted, "Now Besso" (an old friend) "has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us...know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." Immortality doesn't mean a perpetual existence in time without end, but rather resides outside of time altogether.

This is known but many in western science wants to hold onto materialism. This is because they are attached to the cave. They are attached to the illusion.

We know conscious choice creates reality. This is not a guess but has been shown in experiments.

I start with Shannon's definition of information. He defined information as the reduction of uncertainty. Consciousness goes even further. Consciousness can know which path information. It goes even further, we know based on the delayed choice, quantum eraser and delayed choice quantum eraser that conciousness can change which path information after the event has occured.

The problem is, many in western science wants to explain the universe as dead matter bumping into dead matter and then becoming aware of itself.

This sounds idiotic but it's understandable. When you are attached to the illusion you want isolation from the whole to be real. It's just entanglement and decoherence and I'm glad to see scientist like Lanza and others who are thinking outside of the cave.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I might suggest you first read Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth". It is basically buddhism he's teaching ... but from a more understandable perspective.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
What about does life exists? New theory says NO. Read up on Nonduality and Zero Ontology and the relational theory of existence.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I would agree with Gamma that science is "catching up", but I think science is also now postulating on the existence of a SOUL.

Can you have it both ways?
An imaginary existance accompanied by an imaginary soul?
Why did my dog die?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

It sounds like you think I wished or chose for my dog to die?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Our "existence" in certainly not "imaginary". Quite the contrary.

I exist, have always existed and always will exist...with or without the illusionary constraints of time and space.

Time and space are the illusions...not our essence.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Great post! Thank you! Don't you feel that this is the truth? And if this is an illusion; what about Karma? Isn't Karma incured inside an illusion? So is not Karma an illusion? Is not Karma a misunderstanding of the law of attraction? It's all about free will. When your body dies, your consciousness will go where you desire it to go. So start thinking about that. Meditate on that. Heaven? Another illusion. Merge with the Creator. Or if your not quite ready, continue on to where ever you desire. Doesn't this put a big smile on your face?
God is YOU! FEEL IT! YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I hate to break your bubble, but.... statistics and probabilities as applied to quantum and classical realities are two totally different things. We live in classical reality and the same rules don't apply.

If you put the barrel of a gun to your head with a bullet in the chamber, pull the trigger and the cartridge fires, there are no opposing probabilities that state the bullet will not enter your head. That's just how classical reality works.

On a second point, by the reasoning stated concerning the conservation of energy, that the 20 watts in your brain must be conserved and hence no real death occurs, is mistaken. In any reality, classical or quantum, the conversion of energy through entropy or momentum or its conversion to matter does not violate the rule, it supports the rule. Otherwise, batteries would exist charged forever because the energy under your assumption cannot be "destroyed."

Physics is phun!

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

I'm not saying that at all.

A good visual is the part in the movie the Matrix where the little boy is talking to Neo about bending the spoon. He says the way you bend the spoon is to realise there is no spoon.

Your dog didn't die. There's a reality where your dog is still living. You are disconnected from this state because of entanglement and decoherence.

It's hard to think this way because people become attached to the illusion of isolation from the whole.

Science and every experiment tells us this is the case. Materialism should be replaced with idealism. The problem is people want this world to be real. They want this world to have an objective existence. That's understandable but that's not the case.

Remember, esse est percipi

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
reply to post by Donny 4 million

I'm not saying that at all.

A good visual is the part in the movie the Matrix where the little boy is talking to Neo about bending the spoon. He says the way you bend the spoon is to realise there is no spoon.

Your dog didn't die. There's a reality where your dog is still living. You are disconnected from this state because of entanglement and decoherence.

It's hard to think this way because people become attached to the illusion of isolation from the whole.

Science and every experiment tells us this is the case. Materialism should be replaced with idealism. The problem is people want this world to be real. They want this world to have an objective existence. That's understandable but that's not the case.

Remember, esse est percipi

Where does entanglement and dis-coherence operate? QUANTUM REALITY! It's different than classical reality. Does anyone on this thread understand entanglement or dis-coherence from a BEC or EPR vantage or Bell's Theorem and the problem of two point orthogonal information transference?

Who says what we appear to live in is real anyway, the zombie sheople? I think most people aren't awake enough to even know what reality is. As far as I am concerned, what we perceive as reality is just what our brains are capable of understanding and even that is screwed up because we are always living in the past. No "signal" reaches us for analysis and conversion until after it has been emitted by whatever external source and there is always a time delay. It may be a small fraction of "time" but, the delay still exists. Then there are additional propagation delays within the brain and nervous system. It's like the example, if the Sun exploded now, we wouldn't see it for 8 minutes.

You mentioned the movie, the matrix, with advanced technology it would be fully probable that such a scenario could exist where we were people or prisoners dreaming we were meat puppets in a construct of reality. But can this premise be proven? Only from a personal standpoint and only after we are dead...

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 12/9.2009 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I have posted these links in another thread but since this thread is of the same theme i put them here

www.quantumconsciousness.org...
www.quantum-mind.co.uk...
discovermagazine.com...
www.sentientdevelopments.com...

The last 2 links should be read 1st the other 2 deals with consciousness

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
reply to post by Animal

I hate to break your bubble, but.... statistics and probabilities as applied to quantum and classical realities are two totally different things. We live in classical reality and the same rules don't apply.

Physics is phun!

Cheers - Dave

It frustrates me that I don't have a 'scientific brain' (so bare with me here
) but from my understanding Classical physics and Quantum physics are two versions of scientific 'models' that can be used to measure and observe our reality. Quantum theory developed as a result of classical physics not being able provide answers to all the questions we have about our reality. So I don't understand how you can say emphatically 'we live in a classical world' when classical physics has proved to be limited in explaining what we percieve as reality.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well!
The heck with this stuff. Next time I have a dog that dies I will have him stuffed so he won't be hangin out with sombody else.
Then I can take him down to the pond with me when I go Marlin fishing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join