It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The amazing night sky above Mt. Everest (picture!)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Himalayan Skyscape
Since most of us are conditioned to our light-polluted view of the night sky, I thought you could all appreciate the photo.

(wasn't sure where to post this, sorry)

[edit on 9/12/09 by Nventual]

Simply stunning

We get images like that out here in Woomera, where the nearest large town is 200km's away. Light certainyl does ruin a fantastic view

Thanks for posting this S & F

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
If by composite, you mean the mountains and the sky were shot separately? I don't think there's any mention of it on the link, but you're probably right.

Just wanted to add that while outside having a smoke just now I saw a shooting star. I haven't seen one for a couple of years. It was the sky thanking me for posting this picture.

[edit on 9/12/09 by Nventual]

I think I used the wrong word,instead of composite,I think layers is what I meant,by that I mean having your 'scope/camera set up to follow the stars,take a series of snaps,then layer them together.

Great that you saw a shootin star tonight,Love it when that happens.It was your reward for something.
I'll be off outside for a somoke later too,hope I see one.

Edit to add:
Check out the realy bright ground based light,to the bottom left section of the photo-Is that Everest base camp do you rek?

[edit on 9/12/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
i never knew how many stars were in the sky until i took a drive from pheonix to las vegas. when youre in the middle of the desert and its pitch black for miles around you, its just an awesome sight.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

what is the bright dot of light on the ground to the right of the stupa?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Amazing shots, I live in London and you dont see any stars. I went to N.Wales in the middle of a forest in the Summer and was hooked on the night sky and the number of stars, but those pictures are great. Makes you realise why the ancients were so interested in the night sky.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yes, when you see something like this it makes you realize how beautiful the sky can/could be...what a shame we are messing everything up.

Bad Humans

Thanks for the memories, I know where I am we don't see that anymore, what a shame.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Awesome pic.
Can see them quite well here in nz, but that easter island pic and that himalayas pic have way more stars than i can see!

Thanks for sharing!!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It's pictures like this that make me thankful that as a human I can contemplate the beauty of the universe. Yet there is also pain in the knowledge that there are billions of galaxies out there, each with billions of stars and planets and that we here on Earth are mere dust particles in the cosmic hourglass.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
if you live in the united states the best places ive ever been to to get a really great view of the night sky is out west. they didnt call it the big sky country for nothing, the plains states into arizona, new mexico, nevada are all great sky watching places........for more then one reason

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is so cool. There is something about stars that are so... magical.

I once went Camping in Galveston Texas, in the west end.... I had a tent right on the beach. Where I was it was pretty much the middle of no where. No lights at all.

In the middle of the night, I had to get up and go use the bathroom so I get up and go outside. I look up and see so many more stars than I have ever seen and it was beautiful.

I literally stopped in my tracks( Almost by instinct) and let out an audible WOW....

Seeing all these stars directly above the ocean, was truly breath taking, and it is something I will never forget. It was so beautiful, my words cannot do it any justice. It is something that you have to see for your self, in person, to truly understand.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Finally, something good here on ATS.

Thank you for posting - what a stunning picture of the night sky. I'm very jealous of you.

I am some what of a backyard astronomer and I've never seen a night sky like this before.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
No one has noticed the clear white "orb" in the middle left of the picture, in the trees.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Just last night the power went out for miles around where I live and I got to view a night sky similar to the one in the OP's pic. When I win the lottery I'm going to buy that temple in the photo and turn it into a hotel.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
That is just breathtakingly beautiful. Seriously. I stared at it in silence for several long seconds.

Thanks for sharing this.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Amazing pic... I wish I could see the stars like that over here

Btw check this vid out in HD - really amazing.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Uh... where the # is it?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Looks like they kept the shutter open on the camera. The Pleiades ain't that bright.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by rizla]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i used to live in an area that had so many stars you could feel something like vertigo from looking at it for too long, then they decided to put in a truck bypass and installed about 300 orange lights, then i could see probably 30 stars rather than what was like 30 million, sigh.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Beautiful Picture, star and flag for you!

I am also curious about the glowing orb in the centre of the pic. Probably a Buddhist monk doing some Doctor Orpheous mystical shenanigans...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
That's a great shot!

Makes me miss living with my grandparents out in the country. The glow from the town about 10mi away didn't impact the night sky much at all. Now I'm next to a college towns downtown district, so I have light, and sometimes music to fall asleep to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join