It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The amazing night sky above Mt. Everest (picture!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Himalayan Skyscape
Since most of us are conditioned to our light-polluted view of the night sky, I thought you could all appreciate the photo.

(wasn't sure where to post this, sorry)

[edit on 9/12/09 by Nventual]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Hi,

Many thanks - living in a city I'm lucky to see three or four stars...

Peace!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Beautiful, thanks for posting.

Makes me somehow realize just how much overpopulated my area is; there's so much light that we rarely get to see such a sight.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Glad you liked it. Right now it's 11pm and I can't see one single star in the sky.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I'm 350 km south from you and I can see thousands of stars..

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Haha, well you're lucky then. I'm about 20 minute drive from Melbourne yet still not far enough it seems.
Although some nights I do get a really good view it usually gets covered by clouds within an hour.

edit: 350k's south? You're living between Vic and Tas or what?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Yea it's getting harder and harder to get to anyone one place on this earth where there isn't at least one human being withing a couple miles of you.. I would love to go where there isn't one person within a 20 mile radius (besides the desert or ocean) It's getting harder and harder to do.. I had a friend who recently went to New Zealand and said it was like the Earth 1000 years ago.. Flush landscapes and nature all over.. and hardly any crowds..

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Well that would depend on what part of NZ you went to. You only have to travel to the middle of this country to get amazingly clear views of the night sky (or so I've heard).

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
WOW! Thank you for providing this photograph, I truly enjoy it! Looking up into the sky at night is one of my absolute favorite activities, as I always ponder what might be out there, and I revel in the true beauty of all that which is "Space". Unfortunately, I live in a fairly light polluted environment, but I can still manage to catch the Dippers, Orion, Sirius, the Pleiades, Cassiopeia, and so forth. When I was at my friends' house in farm country however, I was so utterly astonished to finally capture a glimpse of our very own Milky Way, and I must say that it was quite dramatic indeed.

Typically where I live, the best time to view all of the Night Sky is during the Winter Season. Not only are the major constellations closer in the sky at that point in time, but the air is much crisper and clearer as well. As for Mt. Everest, seeing how you can view the dark, almost blackened sky in broad daylight from up upon its peak, I have ALWAYS been left imagining what a photograph of the actual Night Sky would appear like, having been taken from just that very spot.

Very cool

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Absolutely breathtaking!!! It is so humbling to be reminded of just how massive the universe is. If I could look up and see that view every nite, I would never sleep inside again!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I agree Jenny. I love how right above our heads has always been a reminder of how insignificant (or significant, depending on the rarity of life in the universe) we are.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Nventual, awesome pic -images like this realy put things into perspective.

There are some other good NASA photographs towards the bottom of this page including this great Easter Island one:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There's something eerie about that photo from Easter Island. Knowing that at night the only things visible for them were those hundreds of thousands of stars and a bunch of huge heads, sure must have been interesting. I could say the same thing about anywhere from previous civilizations though I guess.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Good old APOD does it again.
Excellent picture,although I bet its a composite,rather than a single photo.
Awsome view though-its my new desktop image.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If by composite, you mean the mountains and the sky were shot separately? I don't think there's any mention of it on the link, but you're probably right.

Just wanted to add that while outside having a smoke just now I saw a shooting star. I haven't seen one for a couple of years. It was the sky thanking me for posting this picture.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Very cool picture, thanks for sharing!

I'm kinda curious, though, why there's a star sitting atop a mountain peak to the right of the temple.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the wonderful pic.

I hate light pollution

I went on a cruise about a year ago, I loved going out on the bow of the ship to see the actual Milky Way, glorious

Oh on a side note, everytime I see a pic like that I laugh inside and say "No way we could be alone!"

[edit on 9-12-2009 by Helmkat]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Great photo and i look forward to the day i visit the area.... i had plans to do it last year but went elsewhere instead.....

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That's a great photo. It's not tall enough for me to use it as wallpaper though, anyone know of a larger copy I can use for wallpaper? The length of it will look really nice over multiple monitors.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wow, it's truly beautiful!

I would love to have the chance to witness it for real. But I guess living in the city of Copenhagen only gives me around 50-100 stars to view if I'm lucky, and all are simply white, not various colors like in the picture!

Now.. Which way to the Himalayas?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join