It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Blizzard Lashes Plains, Midwest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Dangerous Blizzard Lashes Plains, Midwest

www.accuweather.com

A major storm dumped up to 3-4 feet of snow in the mountains of California on Monday before ravaging much of the Four Corners with near-blizzard conditions overnight. The storm will move on as an all-out dangerous and disruptive blizzard with high winds, fierce cold and paralyzing snow from the central Plains to the Upper Midwest by later today and tonight. The storm will affect travel from Denver to Chicago
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
This is actually one of the biggest storms to hit the US for decades!

Blizzard Warning

Issued At: Tuesday, 08 Dec 2009, 9:21 PM CST
Expires At: Thursday, 10 Dec 2009, 12:00 AM CST
...MAJOR WINTER STORM TO BRING HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS...AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING... STRONG LOW PRESSURE INTENSIFYING OVER WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS WILL MOVE NORTHEAST TO LOWER MICHIGAN ON WEDNESDAY. THIS TRACK WILL RESULT IN HEAVY SNOW OVER MUCH OF SOUTHERN WISCONSIN. TOTAL SNOWFALL WILL LIKELY APPROACH A FOOT IN MANY AREAS WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW FALLING TONIGHT.

This will probably go down as one of the biggest and earliest blizzards to hit the entire continental US and an indication not of GW but Global Cooling!

www.accuweather.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/12/09 by plumranch]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Current image:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
that'll be global warming for ya!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I am right in the red "Treacherous Icy Mix" area in Illinois, about 2 hours or so from Chicago. So far, the snow has been falling on and off since Sunday Night or early Monday, but nothing too bad. I just went and looked out the window and it is still snowing, but only just barely. We currently have maybe an inch and a half. Maybe. That is also only here in my location. I can't speak for anywhere else since I haven't left the house except for errands around town.

There has been a lot of talk about the prospect, though. My daughter's teacher mentioned that everyone should ask their parents to check the school's web site in the morning to see if school will be open. I just checked and, as of right now 4:15 a.m. CST, school hasn't been canceled. They usually don't post until later in the morning, either, so I'll have to check again. Others here in town were talking about it at the little gas station/convenience store (gathering for chit-chat spot) when my husband stopped on his way home from work yesterday.

My daughter is really excited and hopes that we get tons of snow (then again, she is only 9), but my husband and I are worried because he has a huge amount of driving to do tomorrow for work and it is all in the red icy area. On the other hand, in a selfish way, I would love it to snow and have school closed for the day. My kid will be here and that means a day with her and not having to leave the house. I am sick with what is making me really achy and the less I have to leave (or move, for that matter), the better.

My husband laughed a bit when he was telling me about his stop yesterday evening and said that the general sentiment seemed to be "Where is the global warming we've been being promised/threatened with?" We are a farming community and it seems that, despite how hard a teacher or two at my kid's school push AGW, most people out here are skeptics. The spring concert last school year was centered on global warming and talking points that sounded straight out of an Al Gore propaganda piece. Not the general "be good stewards of your environment", that would have been fine with me, but the "we are killing the polar bears with our horrible behavior". Turned out that I was not the only unhappy parent in the school office the next morning.

Hopefully we won't get hit too badly with the snow and my thoughts are with others here that are in the path of the blizzard.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Wow it's bad here near Madison, Wisconsin. I am south of Madison and we have about a foot of snow already. In areas where it has drifted a bit its a few feet. Now I know living in Wisconsin this isn't that big of a deal but the fact that we got sooo much so quick is a bit crazy and the stuff is really heavy. Over 150 schools around here are closed. I have never seen a number like that.
The plows are already having issues in some places and I don't recall the news channels warning and updating as much as they are right now.

Yeah as others have said, so much for global warming lol. On a side note I am starting to think we are getting the cold over here from other places where it used to be. Maybe we are experiencing global temperature shifting rather than warming/cooling. Wonder if any posts here have been made on that idea yet? Because seriously it does seem like our winters here are getting much worst each year, whereas in other places their summers are getting much hotter. Just an idea.

[edit on 12/9/2009 by darklife]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm in Canadian part of that red area of supposed treacherous icy mix, but all its doing is raining, with temp in the 40's.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Here's a few pictures of what it looks like in my part of South Wisconsin..
Cars and total white out, couldn't see to drive even if they could:

Tree branch where our car normally parks that snapped and now covers the park area:

In some areas it's almost impossible to walk even with the best of boots and muscles. It's one of the worst blizzards I ever seen here in my 25 years of living here.
At this point everything is closed besides emergency services. It's impossible to drive anywhere.
I should note that the pictures may look pretty and not that bad but trust me it is. When the plows can't even keep up or get around .. it's bad.
The snow is very heavy and now the wind is starting to pick up. Next up we will be getting temps up to below 20 in the next day or two.

[edit on 12/9/2009 by darklife]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is crazy, snow hit many parts of PA real bad, I heard scary stories from friends there this morning.

Also we are getting quite a heavy snowfall today as well as tomorrow.

Global Warming is a joke, I feel embarrased on behalf of those who still believe in that hoax

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think the "developing" nations, such as Ethiopia and Burkina Faso, should send compensation to the "developed" nations such as the US because of this unfair climate imbalance- clearly it is much more difficult to survive in a snow blizzard than a nice tropical climate

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
I think the "developing" nations, such as Ethiopia and Burkina Faso, should send compensation to the "developed" nations such as the US because of this unfair climate imbalance- clearly it is much more difficult to survive in a snow blizzard than a nice tropical climate

I agree.

Anyways...last year (maybe two years ago?) Ohio got hit real hard. Kentucky too.

Nothing but an inch of snow has fallen here, and it soon melted due to rain. Come on...HIT ME!!!! I want out of some school...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
that'll be global warming for ya!

Al gore loves his game of lies does he not?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darklife

Wow! Thanks for the pics. It does look pretty, but deep enough to make things come to a halt. We still haven't gotten much more snow than we had when I posted earlier. My kid ended up having school and it wasn't even snowing anymore when I went out to drive her there. It is extremely windy here, though. I don't know how fast the wind is blowing, but fast enough that I've seen a few garbage cans go sailing down the street. That is blowing the snow around some, but our snow plows have been keeping up pretty easily.

I hope that you are staying safe and warm!

Take care,
Cindi

Edited to add that within minutes of posting this, my daughter called from school to tell me they were getting out early and ask if she could ride home with a friend that lives on the corner of our street. The school was worried about how windy it is and told me that they are expecting the snow to start up much harder pretty suddenly. So, we'll just have to wait and see.

[edit on 12/9/2009 by Glencairn]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Speaking of the weather, has anyone noticed the strange way the weather is moving at times? I have noticed more than once that the storms usually move from west to east.

Now, I see them going in big circles and moving down through the middle of the country and moving west along the east coast.

Am I seeing things or do other people notice this strange behavior? I reckon, HARRP must be at work.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

It is extremely windy here, though. I don't know how fast the wind is blowing, but fast enough that I've seen a few garbage cans go sailing down the street. That is blowing the snow around some, but our snow plows have been keeping up pretty easily.
reply to post by Glencairn

Reminds me of a story I tell about when I was a country vet in SE Minnesota doing emergency cow calls. This was 35 years ago but we had had one of these heavy snow storms with a lot of wind and big snow drifts.

I was taking a short cut down an narrow country road driving pretty fast when I topped a hill and all I could see ahead was snowdrift. I plowed into it full speed and ended up high and stuck. Had to walk a mile in deep snow to get the farmer to pull me out with the tractor. I saved his cow though!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Doesnt mean GW is not happening!

For instance if the greendland ice melted it could shut down the
atlantic oceanic current, thereby plunging europe into another
ice age for instance.
Part of the equation no one realizes is that some places
will be colder and others warmer.
And alot more extreme weather and more powerfull storms
as the atmosphere and oceans heat up!

There are so many variables that come into play here,
one can only hope to understand a fraction of it all!
No one really knows whats happening for sure!
Its easy to think its all a farce if you havent actually studied
the science to it.

I tend to agree with possible manipulation of the weather in the
US, if nothing else just to keep the status quo (big oil) going.
Since we are one of the biggest users of oil, it makes sense
the most profitable corporations in history would try their hardest here
to manipulate public opinion, and make it seem like its all good!

As long as consumers do their job for them, think its all good
and continue buying into it, thats all that matters to them.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

There are so many variables that come into play here, one can only hope to understand a fraction of it all!
No one really knows whats happening for sure!
Its easy to think its all a farce if you havent actually studied
the science to it.
reply to post by dodadoom

There are so many variables in the GW equation that no one can say for certain whether it's the sun, CO2, other greenhouse gasses, cloud cover, etc. that is causing GW or GCC.

So what's up with Congress passing a massively expensive Cap and Trade bill? And what is Obama and all the other politicians doing in Copenhagen making Climate treaties when the science is so much in doubt?

The answer is they have a lot of people fooled and they want our money and they want to control!
It's big government 101!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Massive storm buries central US in snow

A massive storm buried much of the central United States in dangerous ice and snow Wednesday, stranding scores of motorists with massive drifts that shut down major roads and defeated plows.

Strong winds created drifts as high as 15 feet (4.6 meters) as the storm dropped as much as four feet of snow (1.2 meters) in some areas, said Pat Slattery, a spokesman for the National Weather Service.

"This has been a really big season opening storm," Slattery said

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Autarchic

Am I seeing things or do other people notice this strange behavior? I reckon, HARRP must be at work.

I've noticed this too.
I suspect it is easier than we know to move the jet stream via HAARP.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
Doesnt mean GW is not happening!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join