It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiger Woods: The latest distraction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I'm not a big conspiratorial thinker but I really think there's something to this. It seems like every time there are real issues on the table, you have some utterly ridiculous story ramming it's way to centre stage and everything else goes to back burner.

What's going on now? Some really serious stuff, many issues are coming to a head.

- H1N1 overseas
- John Yoo Torture Suit
- Obama committing 30,000 troops to Afghanistan
- Reemergence of Bin Ladin as a serious objective (why?)
- Copenhagen
- American health care
- Others I can't remember off the top of my head

But I turn on TV at my girl's house and every news channel is going over Tiger Woods' sex life with a fine toothed comb! Every channel! CNN, MSNBC, FOX, NBC... I don't understand what audience they're trying appease here? Who cares!?

This always seems to happen when there are big issues playing out in the world. There could be a reemergence of small pox and every channel would be talking about the latest entertainment or political scandal. This Tiger Woods thing is just over the top, every day its like it gets bigger.

What are we being distracted from? Maybe all of the above, or maybe it's something entirely new that they're trying to divert attention away from. It just seems like they're trying so hard to make news out of non-news.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I have so fr avoided the tv chatter, but even google news was infected badly. One of the top headlines was whether he had practiced safe sex or not with mistress #?. Seriously I've lost count.

I think it's not as much a planned conspiracy in timing as it is the msm knows they can't tackle the real issues or do anymore investigative journalism, so they feed us this pop culture shenanigans.

The real conspiracy is not in the timing, but the total lack of real coverage.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Yeah I don't think it was planned or anything, but when the opportunity presented itself, they seized upon it. I can't imagine they think their audience would rather hear about his 7 or 8 mistresses, than the real issues going on. It's just baffling to me.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I agree I only read the newspaper, but front page is all about Tiger Woods... Think their up to 6 or 7 girls so far but I also think there is much more important news that should be on the front page.

Clearly their trying to divert our attentions from other things with this nonsense.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
MSM doesn't show the real news that the people NEED to know, it thinks that sensationalism and shock make the people happy, that SOMEONE else is in peril , that someone else is in the spotlight, and its that that makes the people feel safe.
People DO NOT want to know the truth , they only want to hear of OTHERS misfortunes more than their own.
IF the people turned off their TVs and Radios , stopped reading the newspapers for a day or two they might actually realise there is more to life than X-factor , and that is no good for the MSM.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
MSM doesnt report news, they provide entertainment and mind numbing distractions to help us stay glued to their programs so their ratings will go up and they can make more money charging for advertising time. news is a buisness, and they have to sell whats selling to make cash. simple buisness. i suggest if you want real news and answers, find it for yourself=)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It seems no matter how pretty there wife is they always want some other cocktail waitress to bang! Lucky bastard!
What that isn't serious news.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I think what you fail to understand is the places "reporting" this stuff about Tiger are not real media anymore.
Everyone of them are just interested in bias, sensationalism and face time for the so called news anchors. If they ever had to cover a real story they would not know how to do so. To cover a story you send out people to check out the facts of what you are reporting. Then you verify that information with more than one source. Something not one of them do.
This applies to all media both paper and electronic.
Some of this I know as fact as having to try to deal with some of the media ( mostly print) over the past year I have found no matter what they are told they will print what they want to. Nor do they let the facts get in the way,if they do not like it they ignore it.

So why would they not report on Tiger instead of important news? I am waiting on the breaking news where they think he may have gone to the bathroom and not flushed the toilet.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
That is the same thing I was thinking when I was watching the news on tv yesterday (for the first time in months; I was only watching between testing out dvd's that i burned)

All they talked about for an hour was "the weather" and tiger woods and sports;
I was thinking "what about climategate" or the economy or afghanistan?;

And then I heard them mention 1 line about how Obama is going to make a speech about some new plan for the economy...

I think they are distracting us so they could sneak in more bailouts or something

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Problem is, most people are far more concerned with the "comings and goings" of the rich and famous over the real issues at hand. The MSM is completely awash with these stories.For many I suspect, a good way to "escape" the reality of their mundane lives and for some conversationally challenged...good "water cooler" discussion starters.

Same with sports, some people can recite the most recent NFL draft to a T, but could care less who the Secretary of State is or exactly what that job entails. A good majority of people are sealed tight in their "bubbles" comfortable in the ignorant bliss that is American prime time television, they could care less about the real problems that plague our world.

Amidst the tidal wave of filler content used during a news broadcast, small amounts of "important" information can be found normally followed by sarcastic remarks by reporters, but then right back on to the mind numbing stories that capture the interest of the masses.

Many believe that TPTB carefully craft what is given to Jhon Q. Public in the form of "news" so that [we] remain very much uninformed, distracted by the latest Hollywood scandal. The sometimes negative actions of our most beloved celebrities come crashing down into the living rooms of Americans at very convenient times for the ones causing the real problems, great if you're trying to pass some oppressive bill or swindle billions form the tax payers without their knowledge.

I have to say though, I was and am highly disappointed to see the latest Tiger Woods drama slither it's way onto ATS.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Indeed the usual run of the mill media outlets love to report Tiger personal life because it means they don't have to report any real news or do proper investigative work . All the while the masses are caught up in the lives of celebrities they are not worried about such things as the validly of man made climate change . Its a reoccurring pattern that IMO shows the worst of our society . Just go back to July when two notable people died Michael Jackson and Robert McNamara . Now the so called MSM gave near endless coverage to the death of an entertainer who was past his heyday while virtually ignoring the death of man who played a big part in the events that were apart of the Vietnam War .

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I agree, I'm not living in the US and everyday here there's something about Tiger in the papers (I don't watch the news) but I think it will blow over rather soon. But I wouldn't be surprised to see something being sneaked under the rug while the drama is ongoing.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I can't stand this type of tabloid journalism. The problem is, it's not just in the tabloids anymore. This crap is on major networks and has been for some time now. It's just pitiful how easily your everyday people fall into the trap of celebrity gossip too. I mean seriously when I turn on the freakin news, that is exactly what I want, NEWS. News about foreign affairs, about the war, about the H1N1 Flu and vaccination, not this crap about Tiger or anything to do with Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, etc etc. It honestly makes me sick, I find myself watching less and less television by the day.

Nice thread by the way

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I know it's an old topic but I just joined and thought I'd add my thoughts because I was wondering about the same stuff (Why they do this).

I think that in part, yes, it's intended to distract. But I think it goes deeper than that. I think that a big part of these kinds of stories is social engineering goals. Psychology on a massive scale. They don't just want to distract us. They want to make people easier to manipulate (And actually do it).

Whenever I see these stories, I try to see how the things they are saying could assist TPTB and how they might influence the collective. I think they are very keen on this. It is a big deal to be able to control how people think. I have noticed how almost everything in the media ties into the overall agenda somehow.

I don't see how they keep all of the reporters so utterly controlled. My theory is that some of the reporters are trying to find subtle ways to get important things out. Obviously, if they just came out and said something, they'd get fired or something.

Basically, I'm saying this stuff can be working on a number of levels all at once and be accomplishing multiple goals. It's pretty obvious that the government and the media are basically one and the same so it may well be a collective effort that can be many things to many people.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by crunchypickle]

[edit on 13-1-2010 by crunchypickle]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I don't think that TPTB are using Tiger Woods as a distraction. I think it's simpler than that. America has an unhealthy infatuation with gossip. Especially celebrity gossip. Unless you think that TPTB made Tiger's wife check his voice-mail in the first place.

top topics

join