It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 127 killed as explosions rock Baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

At least 127 killed as explosions rock Baghdad

Source

Reporting from Baghdad - Car bombs exploded amid busy streets and official buildings in Baghdad this morning, killing at least 127 people and wounding 450 more, in the latest assault on the Iraqi government by militants, according to police officials.

Four car bombs shook the city on its eastern and western sides in the span of about 30 minutes, starting around 10:10 am, police officials said. One blast gutted portions of the city's main courthouse on the western side of the Tigris River; another lay waste to a street in front of makeshift offices for the Iraqi finance ministry, which had been forced to move employees after a powerful bombing in August; a third car bomb exploded at a busy intersection as a U.S. convoy passed by; and a fourth car bomb ripped a main street in the mostly Sunni district of Dura.

It's sad too see all of this going on - it doesn't matter that it's been happening for a while now, the point is people are getting killed while trying to make an honest living. No matter how much influence the US tries to impregnate into Baghdad and surrounding areas, things just seem to go back to square one, over and over again.

I hope the people living in these areas can get their issues squared away, we should all be able to live amongst each other, unfortunately many find it very hard to do so...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This is getting ridiculous, not that it wasn't before. I just do not understand how killing innocent people accomplishes anything.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I still think the people in that area of the world need a ruthless dictator. They are broken into so many factions that trying to do anything to stabilize the area just creates more division.

We need to just get the hell out of there.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

It's a weird opinion but it has some truth. Hussein the despot mostly kept that area together. I am not saying this to defend him in anyway, but his iron fist was effective.

Sadly the northern kurds ...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
reply to post by endisnighe

It's a weird opinion but it has some truth. Hussein the despot mostly kept that area together. I am not saying this to defend him in anyway, but his iron fist was effective.

Sadly the northern kurds ...

It's a bit odd that things have taken a sharp turn to the worse. I'm not defending him as well. I am curious.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Unfortunately leadership, whether horrible or great is still leadership. Once that leadership is gone, factions are created and we have the experiences that are occurring now happening (i.e. car bombs).

If there could be a way for all the people to come up with a peaceful agreement, allowing someone or some people govern the areas they live in, they may have less harm happen to the people. The US can't keep sending people in to other peoples battles. Yeah we can help people, but there has to be a line, and why should our troops be dying for a cause that does not directly effect them?

I'm not trying to sound so harsh here, it's just we (as in the US) tend to place ourselves in wars to either gain something, or get rid of something. I will doubt anyone who says otherwise because no way does the US help people out for free - it just isn't so. And TPTB are always behind the curtains thinking that we aren't realizing what's going on. Which is not true at all.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Both of the evil dictators - Saddam and Bush have been removed. The war should be over now...

[edit on 9-12-2009 by 4ortunate1]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 4ortunate1

The war will never be over... Doesn't any of you think that when Bush came into office WW3 started? Because it's starting to look that way. We now have Obama sending more troops out to Afghanistan, not just a few but 34,000 more, which in turn is supposed to get the troops home by 2011? Yeah right. By then he will have made up some other excuse to keep the troops there and bring more over. Before we know it we will be very vulnerable to attack from another nation because all of our military will be over seas

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Looks like the good ole USA created a wonderful destabilized mess in Iraq and will end up leaving the country as such. Now what was that other American promise about leaving Afghanistan a better country?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is what happens when religion plays a prominent role in the government of a country. Nobody gets any real education.

The only rich people in Iraq and Aghanistan are reilgious leaders, government officials, oil barons, and what we would deem illegal drugs and arm dealers.

I bet the vast majority of everybody else is the lower class.

What was a middle class in the countries got the F*@$ out of there before the wars, so now it is just poor and miseducated people trying to make a living in the economic society we created for them. Some are still farmers, but many are now trained skilled laborers. Our contractors hold all the top postions and hire these people so they can have money and become a modern country. Is this why they are mad?

These peope are just as smart as us, they are now being given modern technology to educate themseleves, but many of them are so miseducated by religion that they refuse to comform and will kill their own people.

I really don't see how terrorizing their own people in their own country gets their point across? I can understand not trusting their new government, but can't they all agree that it is better than Sadam Hussein?

Find a better way to get your point across without killing 100s of good people and destorying the greatest city in your country!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I agree, there is nothing good that will come from killing your own people and destroying your homeland what so ever. Instead of the militias fighting one another or the public people, why don't they band together and fight one common group of people who pisses them off like umm their government officials or whoever they feel is ruining the country (which in turn may be the US, that's why we need to leave!).

new topics

top topics

join