It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Pharma influence inside the WHO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Filing under the "we always suspected" category:

This is a confidential pharmaceutical industry trade association dossier about the WHO Expert Working Group (EWG) on R&D Financing.

The International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA; "Big Pharma") gave its members 4 documents: a non-public draft report of the WHO EWG and a non-public Comparative Analysis done by the working group, the IFPMA Overview of the EWG

Comparative Analysis, and IFPMA summary slide on the EWG Draft Report.

The compilation of documents shows the influence of "Big Pharma" on the policy making decisions of the WHO, the UN body safeguarding public health. These confidential documents were obtained by the drug industry before their public release to WHO member states (scheduled to be released May 2010). The document also illustrates that the WHO expert group was highly responsive to industry lobbying — a result that public health groups had feared since early 2009, when the expert group met with the industry, but refused to meet with public health groups known to be industry critics.

The likely audience for these documents include countries, public health policy makers, civil society, industry, academia, media, patients and the general public.
(emphasis mine)

The very interesting PDF documentation available for download at above link.

Just wanted to post this for discussion, I will add further comment as I sift through the voluminous material.

And once again a huge thumbs up at our friends at wikileaks.

Edit to add link: wik ileaks.org

[edit on 9 Dec 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Good find, SD!

Also, I think it's worth considering that a great deal of research is both conducted and funded by Big Pharma to test the efficacy of certain drugs, and, in many cases, the findings are adopted by the WHO and used to influence policy/health guidelines.

The problem with this is the obvious influence that industry support has on research integrity.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

The problem with this is the obvious influence that industry support has on research integrity.

Agreed ... one would think a body such as the WHO should stay clear of big pharma influence. Knowing what we now know about the WHO, it is hardly surprising.

Pretty much at the bottom of my trusted institution list.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Very nice find. Not surprising in the least. I won't say I'm shocked because I'm not. It's disgusting that organizations like this have been given so much power. Now they are going to try and tax us for using the internet so they can line their pockets in the name of 'saving lives'.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Big Pharma influence? WHO IS big pharma. They feed from the same cookie jar.

Need proof? Look no further than codex.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

Thanks d, I wish wikileaks would come back online cause right now the OP link doesn't work.

I should have kept the original pdf because is was really damning ... I'll try to find it somewhere else.

But yes, they're basically thieving sobs.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here we go ... have a looksie here:

www.pharmalot.com...

new topics

top topics

join