It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts about astral, OOBE... things!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I've been thinking on and off about OOBEs, etc and thought I would share my thoughts and ideas...

Firstly: What is the difference - if any - between OOBEs, astral travelling, remote viewing, lucid dreaming, etc. Are they in fact all aspects of the same 'thing'...?

Secondly: Is anyone here able to OOBE (ie: leave their body)? If so, I'd be interested to run a test, and also perhaps ask them to find things out about, for example, the pyramids, etc.

And lastly: A few times in my life, when leaning awkwardly or whatever, my arm or leg has gone numb and eventually become paralysed(sp?). This is fairly common, I believe. However, when my arm - for example - was paralysed, I could still feel my arm... Or rather, I was *aware* of my arm. I think this may have been a "spirit" arm..? I could even move it and clench my "fist" even though my physical hand was completely immobile. Has anyone else heard of this phenomenon before? Also, it leads to an intreaguing possibility...

If it was somehow possible to numb the whole body (or at least a significant portion) would it then be easier to experience OOBEs...? My thinking is Yes, because there would be no distractions from the physical body... Any thoughts?

Also, is there any technique or substance that can achieve this effect? (I can only think of general anaesthetic*, but I have no idea where I could obtain any!
)

Thanks in advance

--------------------
* - or is that 'local'...?
--------------------

[Edited on 22/5/2004 by Al Vereco]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
i've never done an OOBE,but from what I have read before it happens your hole body goes numb and your hear a humming noise and then you can leave your body...

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thanks DS

My personal theory is that when the body is relaxed enough, your mind 'disconnects' from your physical sensations, and it is this freedom from sensations that allows one to more easily 'feel' their "other" body... (astral? spectral? spiritual? ethereal? ...body)

Cool avatar, btw!
Where is it from? I assume it is somehow connected to Star Wars...

Edit -- Oh, yeah. I was going to say; I reckon the 'humming sound' may be the effect of the hearing 'disconnecting'... You know like if you're in a loud room for a while then you suddenly go into a really quiet room, you get a kind of 'sound of silence'... Like the phrase "a deafening silence". Anyway, hopefully u understand what i mean

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
When you pull it up, you'll be able to find a lot of information...already posted...
And yes, they do have some things in common, like not being fully understood, that people who do one eventually do another, but they are called distinctly differnt things because they have slightly different results...
OOBEs are where you come out of your body into the "real" world, astral projectioning is where you do the same in the dream realm, remotie viewing is where you never leave the body but look at things happening somewhere else (sometimes as mild as being connected to someone and knowing they died, though they live states away), and lucid dreaming is where you know you are dreaming, so you take the dream over...
Oh, and go to this, not particularly on THIS subject, but covers some differences that can complicate this mess further...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
particularly MY post: Post Number: 540984 it covers the 8 intelligences recognised by psycology, and possible effects...

"Feeling" your arm is noral...it get really freaky when your arm was amputated and you feel your hands in pain...
read a fantasy novel, years ago, where they cut this child's hands off to force her to use her mind to steal things...she turned on the thieves guild that did ths to her and destroyed them with her mind (I also remember there being a cult that would set up this spindle thingy to randomly choose to kill people with, and nobody would stop them).
Seriously search through this foum and you'll find a lot of stuff on OOBEs, k?

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I've had many OBEs in my life and a lot of strange uncontrollable experiences with them over the last 9 months. The ones over the last 9 months I can't say I've enjoyed, because of their unpredictability and sometimes numb/electric sensations and paralysis. I tried the conventional medicine approach and took meds to "stop" them--and only made them 10x worse. Now when I read about OBEs on the Internet or in books I get panic attacks--like the one I got about 5 minutes ago...but you just face it and go on with your life best you can. Life is a very strange bird.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far!

jlc163: I have searched on and off, but not come across any answers to my queries, particularly the second and third. Also, I wanted to put a bit of myself out there
to ask for OOBE experts to get in touch. Btw, I don't understand that post u directed me to... thats prolly just me tho...
Btw, have you OOBEed? Are you an amputee?

Cassie Clay: Thank you so much for your comments, especially given your problems with this subject. I think it's brave of you to even think about OOBEs considering ur panic attacks. If you find it helps to talk, please do!

One more thing... I've read that meditation helps one to get the right 'mind' or 'focus' for OOBEs, etc... Any comments? Also, has anyone had any success with hypnotism as an aid to OOBEing?

Also, in case you're wondering, I haven't had any kind of OOBE experience myself, but I am very interested in it, and would love to be able to do it myself.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Al Vereco

for example - was paralysed, I could still feel my arm... Or rather, I was *aware* of my arm. I think this may have been a "spirit" arm..?

Funny you should say that because amputees, still get itches or pain in their missing limb, The brain is a funny thing
, OOBE is the same thing as astral travelling btw, not so sure it's the same as remote viewing though, and a lucid dream is just a deeper state of consciousness, mostly delta and theta states. You can run any test you like but you won't be the first and dare say you won't be the last, How you would record the human spirit is beyond me :-/. Science and spiritualism do not work well.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
OBE = any experience that happens out of your body.

Astral Projection = Actually projecting from your body while conscious.

Lucid Dream = Can be classed as an OBE but it occurs in your dream body (which is not the same as your astral body nor your realtime body) and depending on your natural awareness and energy can be not very vivid.

You weren't feeling your "spirit" arm you were feeling an awareness arm, much easier to do if your arm is numb but very possible even if its not.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163
...it get really freaky when your arm was amputated and you feel your hands in pain...

Actually, I cannot say that I have experienced this, lol.

A few times in my life, when leaning awkwardly or whatever, my arm or leg has gone numb and eventually become paralysed(sp?). This is fairly common, I believe. However, when my arm - for example - was paralysed, I could still feel my arm... Or rather, I was *aware* of my arm. I think this may have been a "spirit" arm..? I could even move it and clench my "fist" even though my physical hand was completely immobile. Has anyone else heard of this phenomenon before? Also, it leads to an intreaguing possibility...

When reading the Harry Potter books, I usually read for 3 - 4 hours at a time (as they are long books), sitting in the same position--usually cross-legged. Apparently, when sitting cross-legged, one's blood vessels in one's legs become slightly constricted. When reading, my legs get really 'numb', and sometimes even immobile. It is fun, lol.

From what I have read, RV'ing is more psychically-oriented. In RV'ing, psychic information is usually received by the viewer in the form of a thought or 'sense'--this is much more subtle than the physical travelling of AP and OBE.

I would imagine that meditation aids parapsychological abilities, as it increases relaxation. Also, I would not recommend artificial 'substances' to help in ludid dreaming / OBE / et cetera. I have read that taking drugs can 'block' communications between your concious and subconcious minds.

I hope this helps!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I don't control my obe's they happend and that is.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Thanks DS

My personal theory is that when the body is relaxed enough, your mind 'disconnects' from your physical sensations, and it is this freedom from sensations that allows one to more easily 'feel' their "other" body... (astral? spectral? spiritual? ethereal? ...body)

Cool avatar, btw!
Where is it from? I assume it is somehow connected to Star Wars...

Edit -- Oh, yeah. I was going to say; I reckon the 'humming sound' may be the effect of the hearing 'disconnecting'... You know like if you're in a loud room for a while then you suddenly go into a really quiet room, you get a kind of 'sound of silence'... Like the phrase "a deafening silence". Anyway, hopefully u understand what i mean

you are right it's from star wars (star wars knights of the old republic 2)

anyways,the numb feeling happens when you leave your hand for too long without moving it,when the blood doesn't circulate properly in it,happens to me often.before you go numb you feel "pins and needles"

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by DarkSide]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
have you read some of the threads on oobes, astral projecting and remote viewing that we have here? you'll find many more opinions, tips and experiences that haven't been shared in this thread yet.

i have experienced oobes, controlling them is a whole nother ball game!!
sometimes it happens, sometimes it don't, don't know if anyone has truly mastered the science of it yet, even the so called experts...since it can be quite different for different people

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
For what it's worth, here's an experiment you can try at home. Find a nice comfy spot where you can lay down, facing an open window. The more sun coming the window, the better. I find better results laying on my left side.

Then, cover your left eye so it gets as little light as possible. Leave the other eye alone. I find that burying half my face in a pillow works just fine. Also, you should know that you don't need direct sunlight hitting your face to get the desired effect.

Lastly, close both eyes so what you "see" is black from the left eye, and red from the right eye. (remember, one's covered and the other is exposed.) Lastly, EMPTY YOUR HEAD OF AS MUCH THOUGHT AS POSSIBLE. This part can be harder than you think. Remember, you're not supposed to daydream or Imagine anything. Also, don't talk to yourself. You should be totally open.

What you ultimate "see" might amaze you. I have no idea where I've been, but it was awesome!

I've been doing this for about ten years now with no side-effects whatso lsejvvefga (LOL I'm Kidding!
)

[edit on 30-10-2004 by Toelint]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hey again, Toelint

I'm a little confused...
What was the joke; the end sentence or the whole lot? In other words: Is this a genuine technique or a joke? If it's genuine, any idea how it works? Also, have you actually ever OOBEed?

Thanks for your contribution, btw

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Al, honestly, I don't know what it is I see. It changes as often as it occurs. This tells me at least one thing. It's not the back of my eye lids.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I awoke at 4:00am the other morning experiencing my 1st OBE. Just to let you know it was extremely frightening. I awoke and at that instance I began floating above my body. My first thought was "I am dying" my second thought was "I need to pray", my third thought was "I am scared", that did it, right back into my body. The feeling of floating above your body in a very dark room at night can be terrifying, especially if you are not expecting it. I have tried to Astral Project for about 6 months now without success. But waking up into it, even though I know what it is, my mind could not seem to think that way until after I was over the shock.

Just wanted to let you know, if you are attempting Astral Projection, prepare yourself because the fear will "keep you grounded"

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
spirit arm - read PHANTOMS OF THE BRAIN, by V.S.RAMACHANDRAN, M.D.,PHD., This also happens with patients that have an amputation. They still think that they can feel the severed limb. I think this is more psycological than spiritual.

About the other oobe stuff, its a very difficult area. A lot of people would like to believe that you can oobe and stay in this reality or timeline. I have never been able to experience this although at times I have felt like I was. I can typically lay down and with in a few seconds seperate my physical and non-physical limbs. I can then feel my surroundings and also my own body. I have felt the inside of my head, brain and other internal organs, but the reality always morphs somehow when I actually exit completely. This may be due to the way that we sense our surroundings.
As there is more than one aspect of ourselves, I think there is more than one aspect of the physical world.

new topics

top topics

join