It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economics help.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hey all,

I've got a big economics final coming up. I've been looking through my notes and at the study guide and I have a few questions. Obviously i'm not here saying, "please do this for me." But I would just like some guidance from anyone who may be knowledgeable in the field. Like I said, this is just for the study guide anyway, so a direct answer probably wouldnt even get me the grade unless I can study it and understand it. I've never missed a single class this semester for the economics class (it's macro, by the way) and I'm still just lost. Anyway, now that the lengthy intro is out of the way, here are my questions:

I've got the functions of banks listed as 'lending money, holding money, protecting held money, etc.' but i'm supposed to understand that there is a contradiction here. I'm not seeing one, unless my functions are incorrect.

Also, on the United States dollar, it says, "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private". When in a daily situation would currency not be a liable source to repay a debt? And the answer isn't metaphysical or metaphorical.

Thanks for any help at all!!! Help an ATSer out!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I don't know that I can be much help on this, but.....

Money has no value.
It is only a promise from the government that issues the currency that it can be exchanged for goods and services.

Corn has value.
Skills you provide have value.

Banks and money are just a fragile system to run an economy that is based on the false assumption that you have some security. You don't.

The best use you could make of the banking system is to rent a box in their safe and keep something of real value such as metals that can be traded for other goods.

"this note is legal tender for all debts public and private" is only as good as the government that issued it.
Governments fail, and nations fall....

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Okay, so I understand that now. Thank you!

I have discovered that the contradictions in banks lies within its ability to create and receive money, but sometimes it doesnt receive money, like when loans arent paid back. But what would resolve this? Would it only be something permanent or temporary?

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

May or may not help. I'd look into the concept of fractional reserve banking. It's basically what permits banks to inflate the money supply and create cash out of thin air. It's all fiat money, there isn't any commodity backing it up. Do a search on "fractional reserve banking" and/or "fiat money".

As for the "When in a daily situation would currency not be a liable source to repay a debt?"

I'm guessing maybe you meant "viable source". This may not be relevant, but no one is legally obligated to accept US currency as repayment, despite those apocryphal tales you hear about people offering to pay a bill with pennies and then the debt is forgiven when the merchant (or whomever) refuses to take it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ok, heres what i'm stuck on at the moment. I know nobody can put graphs up, but if anyone can help me understand even one of these a little bit better it would mean so much to me!

1. A friend argues that a stimulative fiscal policy will end up causing inflation and crowding out, without adding much other benefit to the economy. You think you have a more sophisticated argument that favors some government spending.

A) Explain, verbally and with the appropriate graphs, your friend's view, showing how she may be correct. (In other words, why might inflation and/or crowding out occur?)

B) Explain, verbally and with the appropriate graphs, your more sophisticated view. (In other words, why might inflation and/or crowding out NOT occur, and why might economic growth result?)

2. A. The newspaper editors argue that the federal reserve should increase in the money supply to stimulate the economy, eventually shifting Aggregate Demand. Assuming the world works the way the editors want it to, carefully explain how the Fed does it, making sure to discuss the role of banks. Show graphically (though without numbers) how it should work.

B. A TV analyst enters the conversation and says, "I hate to divulge a big secret, but we are really unable to control the money supply much at all, especially if we try to reduce it." Carefully explain, using prose and graphs, why she is correct, and what it implies about the shape of the money supply curve.

3. Derive the Aggregate demand curve. In your derivation, carefully explain where the terms in aggregate demand come from.

top topics

join