It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Study of “Famous LAST Words” …. Thoughts?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
A Study of “Famous LAST Words” …. Thoughts?

ATSer’s, can we learn anything from the DYING WORDS of a few people?

Here are some poignant examples….

Which ones/s below, resonate with you?

= = = = =

Thomas Jefferson--still survives... ~~ John Adams, US President, d. July 4, 1826 (Actually, Jefferson had died earlier that same day.)

This is the last of earth! I am content. ~~ John Quincy Adams, US President, d. February 21, 1848

See in what peace a Christian can die. ~~ Joseph Addison, writer, d. June 17, 1719

Waiting are they? Waiting are they? Well--let 'em wait.
In response to an attending doctor who attempted to comfort him by saying, "General, I fear the angels are waiting for you."
~~ Ethan Allen, American Revolutionary general, d. 1789

Am I dying or is this my birthday?
When she woke briefly during her last illness and found all her family around her bedside.
~~ Lady Nancy Astor, d. 1964

Nothing, but death.
When asked by her sister, Cassandra, if there was anything she wanted.
~~ Jane Austen, writer, d. July 18, 1817

How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden? ~~ P. T. Barnum, entrepreneur, d. 1891

Is everybody happy? I want everybody to be happy. I know I'm happy. ~~ Ethel Barrymore, actress, d. June 18, 1959

Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow such a conventional thing to happen to him. ~~ John Barrymore, actor, d. May 29, 1942

I am ready to die for my Lord, that in my blood the Church may obtain liberty and peace. ~~ Thomas à Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, d.1170

Now comes the mystery. ~~ Henry Ward Beecher, evangelist, d. March 8, 1887

Friends applaud, the comedy is finished. ~~ Ludwig van Beethoven, composer, d. March 26, 1827

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis. ~~ Humphrey Bogart, actor, d. January 14, 1957

Beautiful.
In reply to her husband who had asked how she felt.
~~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning, writer, d. June 28, 1861

Ay Jesus. ~~ Charles V, King of France, d. 1380

I have tried so hard to do the right. ~~ Grover Cleveland, US President, d. 1908

That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted. ~~ Lou Costello, comedian, d. March 3, 1959

Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
To her housekeeper, who had begun to pray aloud.
~~ Joan Crawford, actress, d. May 10, 1977

That was a great game of golf, fellers. ~~ Harry Lillis "Bing" Crosby, singer / actor, d. October 14, 1977

I am not the least afraid to die. ~~ Charles Darwin, d. April 19, 1882

My God. What's happened? ~~ Diana (Spencer), Princess of Wales, d. August 31, 1997

I must go in, the fog is rising. ~~ Emily Dickinson, poet, d. 1886

I've never felt better. ~~ Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., actor, d. December 12, 1939

A dying man can do nothing easy. ~~ Benjamin Franklin, statesman, d. April 17, 1790

God will pardon me, that's his line of work. ~~ Heinrich Heine, poet, d. February 15, 1856

Oh, do not cry - be good children and we will all meet in heaven. ~~ Andrew Jackson, US President, d. 1845

Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees.
Killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville during the US Civil War.
~~ General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, d. 1863

Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.
From Luke 23:46 ~~ Jesus Christ

Why not? Yeah. ~~ Timothy Leary, d. May 31, 1996

Why do you weep. Did you think I was immortal? ~~ Louis XIV, King of France, d. 1715

I am a Queen, but I have not the power to move my arms. ~~ Louise, Queen of Prussia, d. 1820

Go on, get out - last words are for fools who haven't said enough.
To his housekeeper, who urged him to tell her his last words so she could write them down for posterity.
~~ Karl Marx, revolutionary, d. 1883

I forgive everybody. I pray that everybody may also forgive me, and my blood which is about to be shed will bring peace to Mexico. Long live Mexico! Long Live Independence!
~~ Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, (Archduke Maximilian of Austria), d. June 11, 1867

I am curious to see what happens in the next world to one who dies unshriven.
Giving his reasons for refusing to see a priest as he lay dying. ~~ Pietro Perugino, Italian painter, d. 1523

Lord help my poor soul. ~~ Edgar Allan Poe, writer, d. October 7, 1849

I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have.
~~ Leonardo da Vinci, artist, d. 1519

I die hard but am not afraid to go. ~~ George Washington, US President, d. December 14, 1799

Go away. I'm all right. ~~ H. G. Wells, novelist, d. 1946

more: www.corsinet.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
......I am curious to see what happens in the next world to one who dies unshriven.
Giving his reasons for refusing to see a priest as he lay dying. ~~ Pietro Perugino, Italian painter, d. 1523....

I thought this one was great!

OT

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

“Damn it, how will I ever get out of this labyrinth!”

-Simon Bolivar

one of my favorites.

good list. i love stonewall jacksons too.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Possibly apocryphal was Oscar Wilde:

Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.

(I've also heard 'curtains' instead of wallpaper)

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Badgered1]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

Priceless!!!

Second line...

Thx R

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
Possibly apocryphal was Oscar Wilde:

Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.

(I've also heard 'curtains' instead of wallpaper)

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Badgered1]

Curtains/wallpaper...

Either one, fabulous!!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Erm, don't understand that question

I believe that last words are so unreliable and, even if they were to be believed, so personal that I couldn't possibly 'resonate' with any of them.

It does however remind me of a Steven Wright joke:

"I wish my first word was 'quote', so right before I died I could say 'un-quote'."

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Erm, don't understand that question?

ones to relate harmoniously : ones that strike a chord with you

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Erm, don't understand that question?

ones to relate harmoniously : ones that strike a chord with you

Did somebody get his dictionary out?

Basically, which one do you like best? Okay. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

nice job of stating the obvious two posts after asking what it meant

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The ones by franklin and da vinci.

Two of my favorite thinkers always seeking to better the world around them.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
The ones by franklin and da vinci.

Two of my favorite thinkers always seeking to better the world around them.

for sure, very wise fellows, both of them!

Thank you Seiko, for stopping by

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

My God. What's happened? ~~ Diana (Spencer), Princess of Wales, d. August 31, 1997......

This was a shocker to her...and all of us huh?

SAD!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.
~~ Humphrey Bogart

God will pardon me, that's his line of work.
~~ Heinrich Heine

They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . . .
Killed in battle during US Civil War.
~~ General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, d. 1864

================

Che Guevara!

I know you have come to kill me. Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.
Facing his assassin, Mario Teran, a Bolivian soldier.
~~ Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Albert Einstein (from physics.augustana.edu...):

When Einstein died on April 18, 1955 he left a piece of writing ending in an unfinished sentence. These were his last words:

In essence, the conflict that exists today is no more than an old-style struggle for power, once again presented to mankind in semireligious trappings. The difference is that, this time, the development of atomic power has imbued the struggle with a ghostly character; for both parties know and admit that, should the quarrel deteriorate into actual war, mankind is doomed. Despite this knowledge, statesmen in responsible positions on both sides continue to employ the well-known technique of seeking to intimidate and demoralize the opponent by marshaling superior military strength. They do so even though such a policy entails the risk of war and doom. Not one statesman in a position of responsibility has dared to pursue the only course that holds out any promise of peace, the course of supranational security, since for a statesman to follow such a course would be tantamount to political suicide. Political passions, once they have been fanned into flame, exact their victims...

VIVA RELATIVITY!

[edit on 12/8/2009 by queenannie38]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

great add with the Einstein quote, there queenannie38....

"Good form!"

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Good nite ATS-ers....I'll check back tomorrow on your favorite last words/quotes....

Sleep well alll!

OT

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Thoreau, Henry David (1817-1862)
`Have you made your peace with your God?'
`I never quarreled with my God.'
`But aren't you concerned about the next world?'
`One world at a time.'
(Discussion with his aunt on his deathbed)

Tops...

ATSer’s, can we learn anything from the DYING WORDS of a few people?

There are indeed atheists in fox-holes...a minority I'm sure - but they're there.

Nothin' like holdin' on to your beliefs 'til the end, huh..?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
So many to choose from!

"Well, gentlemen, you are about to see a baked Appel." - George Appel, executed by electric chair in 1928.

"Hey, fellas! How about this for a headline for tomorrow's paper? 'French Fries'!" - James French, executed murderer

"Gents, this is an educational project. You are about to witness the damaging effect electricity has on Wood." - Frederick Charles Wood, executed

"I'd like to thank my family for loving me and taking care of me. And the rest of the world can kiss my ass." - Johnny Frank Garrett, Sr, also executed

"I'll be in Hell before you start breakfast! Let her rip!" - Tom Ketchum, executed train robber who was decapitated because the rope was too long

"I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this." - Thomas Grasso, also executed

"Nobody shot me." - Mobster Frank "Tight Lips" Gusenberg, after a police officer asked who had shot him after the St. Valentine's Day massacre.

"Now why did I do that?" - General William Erskine after he jumped from a window.

"When I hear that a man is religious, I conclude he is a rascal!" - David Hume

"If any of you have a message for the Devil, give it to me, for I am about to meet him!" - Lavinia Fisher, hanged for murder in her wedding dress

"More Weight. I curse you Corwin and all of Salem!" - Giles Corey, while being crushed during the Salem witch trials because he would not answer the court.

"Ashhadu an la ilaha ill-Allah, wa Muhammadu… " ("I swear that there is no God but God and Muhammad…" [is his prophet], the Muslim affirmation of faith) - Saddam Hussein, allegedly

"We are the first victims of American fascism!" - Ethel Rosenberg

"Heil Hitler! This is my Purim celebration 1946. I go to God. The Bolshevists will one day hang you, too." - Julius Streicher, executed after the Nuremberg Trials

"'___', 100 micrograms I.M." - Alduous Huxley to his wife, who gave him two shots of '___' before he died.

"The sun is God." - J.M.W. Turner

"No, you certainly can't." - JFK after it was suggested to him that he couldn't complain that the people of Dallas hadn't given him a very warm reception.

"Die, my dear? Why, that's the last thing I'll do!" - Groucho Marx

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
''Now comes the mystery''

this one caught me the most, I think alot of people would be thinking along this line of thought, I know I would!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
''Now comes the mystery''

this one caught me the most, I think alot of people would be thinking along this line of thought, I know I would!

I like this one as well. It sounds like something I would say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join