It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Police Banned From Saying "Evenin' All"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The genuine conspiracy of true politically correct insanity knows no bounds, the powers that be in the UK are attempting to engineer every sentence to be completely free of inuendo, insult, or potential offence. It's just jaw dropping.

www.mirror.co.uk... 38/

Police are being advised not to use the “Evenin’ all” greeting made famous by TV’s Dixon of Dock Green – because of cultural differences.

One force bizarrely claims the character’s catchphrase is a subjective term that varies depending on culture and nationality. Other words officers are urged to avoid are “child” and “homosexual”.

The instructions were revealed in response to a Freedom of Information request about guidance to police and fire services on the use of language.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
In nearly 42yrs living mainly in the UK, I've never once heard a copper say, "Evenin' all." Not even back in the 70s when they used to walk around on their own & be somewhat friendly. Never.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

I also have never heard a policeman say such a thing. I consider it to be an amusing catchphrase of sorts, if you know what i mean.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Amusing catchphrase yes, but potentially offensive statement, puhlease.

Some people are just looking to be offended, and this is beyond a joke, it's just nuts.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Same here, Ive never heard a police man say that!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've never, ever heard a copper say that.

Ever.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86

Ever.

And now you know why.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doglord

Ever.

And now you know why.

Because its an anachronism, and a TV catchphrase at that?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Because its an anachronism, and a TV catchphrase at that?

Because they've been advised not to.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Have they banned people from saying "Cor blimey guv'na" too?

Who actually talks like that?

'ello 'ello 'ello.... evenin' all

[edit on 8/12/09 by blupblup]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Jack Regan of "The Sweeney" used to say, "Shut it!" all the time.

Perhaps that one would be better suited to the uber-sensitivity.

BTW: great quote above about how coppers in the 70s used to walk around alone and be somewhat friendly. Made me laugh. Thanks for that.
They called it 'walking the beat.'
Now they call it 'lots of coppers beating someone up.' Oh, how times have changed.

"Keep 'em peeled."

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
TBH, I reckon the OP article is bollocks. What could anyone possibly find offensive about "Evenin' all"? I'll bet the mirror got hold of a list of things coppers are told to avoid for various reasons, like in this case 'sounding like a twat', 1 of which was giving offence & just decided to put the most ridiculous spin on it for an attention grabbing story.

Yeah, Badgered1, how times have changed, eh? They say you're getting old when coppers look young. I swear the community officers round here look like students in body armour. Ho hum...

I work nights usually & at various times, so I see a few of them about quite often. I've got pretty long hair & the 1st time I ever spoke to the ones who work this patch mainly, I was leaning out of an upstairs window. Guess how they greet me when they want a word? "Oi, Rapunzel!"
Edit to add: I'm male.
Oh yeah, PC is totally taking over... My arse.

[edit on 8/12/09 by Bunken Drum]

CX

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Another Brit here, and another who has not heard this from a copper.

How long will it be before Santa's banned from saying, "Ho ho ho", for fear of it being mistaken for a call to ladies with lets say a more "laid back" field of employment.

CX.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The real conspiracy here is not that it has now been banned, but that none of us have EVER heard it being said!

This is a disgrace, I'm going to complain to someone, anybody know the number for the police?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I read about this a few weeks ago, their reasoning behind it was because some peoples definition of "evening" differs from others, depending on their culture and they wouldnt want to offend anyone by assuming that they followed English culture, even though they ARE in England.

I honestly dont know whether to laugh or cry when i read about things this ridiculous. I think im more inclined to cry since crap like this, gets its start in England and almost always, eventually, makes its way across the Atlantic.
You know something though, as STUPID and RIDICULOUS as crap like this is, im pretty damn positive that its used because someone, somewhere has complained about it once or twice, probably multiple complaints from more than one person or groups of persons.

Political Correctness is run amok in this world. It wont be long that you could face a year in jail for calling someone a fag or punk or hell, anything that "hurts" their wittle feewins.
England's becoming a Nation of thin skinned wusses and the US isnt far behind.

Does this really belong in the General Conspiracy section of the board though?

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Kr0n0s]

new topics

top topics

join