It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers spot tsunami on the sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Astronomers spot tsunami on the sun

www.abc.net.au

Scientists have discovered a new phenomenon on the sun: towering waves that race across its face tsunami-style.

The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory provided a tantalising glimpse of a solar wave about 12 years ago, but it took the three-dimensional view from NASA's STEREO solar probes to nail it.

"It came as a surprise to us when we started seeing these waves expanding," says Joseph Gurman, a solar physicist with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center .

The waves rise quickly from a central point and spread out in a circular pattern millions of kilometres in circumference (Source:
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dnaindia.com
www.thelatestnews.in
www.msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Very Hot video of Tsunami on Sun

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I haven't seen if this has been posted and I find it fascinating. Not that I understand the implications or even a fraction of them in the sense how this will affect our little planet, if at all. But the more information we continue to share with each other the better off we are. What do you think ATS?

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Wow that's really cool.

I'm pretty impressed that we can still find these sorts of new wonders

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gutterpus

It's been posted a couple of times.

There's no reason to think these waves would have any effect on Earth. The fact that the phenomenon was recently discovered does not mean it has not occurring for a very long time. It's only recently we've had the means to observe it.

top topics

join