Student F1 visa a major violation to human rights!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So uknowingly to me, (until today), my birthday (Dec 10) is apparently human rights day. My girlfriend is a Russian foreign exchange student. She is only allowed to work on campus, for 20 hours a week. Well let me tell you there are no available jobs on campus. How is one supposed to make it in this country if she can't work?! It sickens me, I did not know that the government OWNED the land! "you can't enter" "you can't leave" "youcant work"

Article 23. Of the universal declaration of human rights

(1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
(2) Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.
(3) Everyone who works has the right to just and favourable remuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy of human dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of social protection.
(4) Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

Something needs to be done about this unbelievably sickening law that the f1 visa AND H visa upholds!!
It is a violation to human rights!!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
What country are you in?

And give us the breakdown of what these type visas are for.

Also, are their stipulations on these visas when you enter the country that this is happening.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
How about she gets a job in Russia?

When Americans are employed again I'll start worrying about the foreigners getting jobs.

Sorry to sound cold, but jobs here should go to Americans first.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sgrrsh26

Sorry, but the country issuing the Visa has the right to set the rules that go with that Visa. In th is case, 20 hours a week of on campus work, to ensure that the student keeps going to class, and doesn`t come into the country, get a job, and drop out. You can say it`s a major human rights violation, but those are the rules for the Visa in question.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I am a USC. I live in NY.
The f1 visa is a visa to study. College..
The circumstances are that the student has a sponser capable of paying for college.
The student is required to be a Full Time Student.
The student may not work outside of campus, and may only work on campus a maximum of 20 hours.
Reguardless... The point I am making is these rules are a violation of human rights. The right to work.

And to the poster about Americans and jobs, look, I was in the same situation. Couldn't find a job. But that's because I wouldn't take what I could get. I now have a job and can admit to this. I see all my old friends compaining on facebook of being jobless. Go to mcdonalds go to burgerking whatever it takes.

The problem is my girlfriend is legally in this country, and is not able to work. Then we have the illegals who I see working everywhere, especially on long island. It's a huge issue to me. And I hope to you because of the fact this government thinks they can make whatever laws they want wether they violate our rights or not.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

You said it yourself....The F1 Visa is for STUDENTS. It`s not for someone to come to the US to become a part time student, and take 10 years to graduate. I don`t know many students who manage to hold down a 40 hour a week job off campus, a full course load, and manage to keep their grades up. Again, you can call it a violation of human rights, but the country issuing the Visa sets the rules.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Ok so when a country sets a rule that all Jews should be rounded up and killed, it's ok because it's the countries rules right?
I know the 2 greatly vary in contrast but your saying basically the same thing

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

So you`re comparing a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA to the holocaust? What I said doesn`t relate to that in ANY way. A student Visa allows a student to TEMPORARILY live in that country. But they have to meet the criteria. The country that is allowing that person to live there for that short time has EVERY right to set the rules of conduct expected from that person. If you went to Russia on a student Visa, or England, or any other country they would have rules that you would have to live by. Are you going to complain about how they violated your rights by only offering you a better education than you could probably get in your home country, but in return won`t let you work so many hours that it affects your classes?

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Zaphod58]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

yes, yes I am. Both are examples of "VIOLATIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS"
you knows, the topic of my thread? The topic is not on laws, so if we could divert from the subject. Besides, call me naive but I wasn't aware that a peice of land could make intelligent decisions on who should or shouldn't work there

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow, genocide is the same as setting work restrictions on a full time student's visa. That seems a bit... Extreme.

Yeah, the UN made a mandate that they don't enforce. However, according to Article 28, your girlfriend "is entitled to a social and international order in which the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fully realized."

For that matter, according to the article you quoted above, "Everyone has the right to work." Which means 10% of Americans right now are having their UN mandated human rights trampled on.

I do find your comparison interesting, though, and wonder how a conversation might go surrounding this:

"I was taken when I was 5 to a concentration camp. I spent 6 years there, where my entire family was killed, as well as most of those around me. We were starved, tortured and killed, all because I was Jewish."
"I, too, was taken because my parents were gypsies. They did the same things to us."
"I was a Russian soldier captured in World War II. There were 2,500 of us captured. I and 5 others were the only survivors."
"My girlfriend was told she can only work on campus and for a maximum of 20 hours."

I'm sure she would have the sympathy of the other three for the gross injustice committed against her humanity.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I hope you get your situation worked out. It is very tough, and you may need to consider more drastic actions. Can you even get to Russia? Don't let bureaucracy ruin a beautiful relationship. Now what Zaphod said is correct and laws have to be adapted to, but you'll find a way, if you're determined.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It strikes me right in the funny bone that 2 of you made comments on the holocaust thing when I clearly stated I understood the huge contrast between the 2. I'm not comparing my girlfriends rights to the right to live by saying this. I'm just showing Z that even "Rules" set by a government offend our rights as human beings.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgrrsh26
Ok so when a country sets a rule that all Jews should be rounded up and killed, it's ok because it's the countries rules right?
I know the 2 greatly vary in contrast but your saying basically the same thing

That is quite possibly the most asinine, intellectually voided thing i've heard said all year long.

Congratulations.

I love how you not only admit that what you just said was completely ridiculous by saying

i know the 2 greatly vary in contrast

but then you childishly retract your admittance by revealing:

but your saying basically the same thing

No. he is not saying basically the same thing.

These are rules to come into the country. If they want full citizenship - fine - apply for it.

They are immigration rules...not genocidal rhetoric.

It deeply sickens me to see you try to draw such an idiotic parallel between the two.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

It strikes me right in the funny bone that 2 of you made comments on the holocaust thing when I clearly stated I understood the huge contrast between the 2. I'm not comparing my girlfriends rights to the right to live by saying this. I'm just showing Z that even "Rules" set by a government offend our rights as human beings.

you are the one that made the contrast of the Holocaust. Don't get over zealous on us now & start denying things....

Saying that your girlfriend must abide by the law and work 20 hours or less is not the same thing, or even remotely close to the same thing, as killing millions of Jews.

Please do yourself a favor and just admit that and stop trying to draw such a wildly desperate correlation.

it doesn't exist.

You're wrong. Grow up and accept it.

Edit to add - i agree with an earlier poster. When Americans have jobs - then we can worry about rather or not your girlfriend (who is not an American, and is not a Citizen) can work here or not.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I'm just showing Z that even "Rules" set by a government offend our rights as human beings.

When you pull the holocaust card, it's going to be addressed. Even if you qualify it as, "there's a difference here", there is an implied "but..."

As to deeming her situation of being able to work only in a certain area and not being able to find work to be a... What was the word you used? Oh, yes, a major violation of her human rights, that seems a bit extreme. Were there any other major violations of human rights you brought to light here? Well, I would say genocide is a pretty major violation of human rights. Slavery would be, too. And, apparently, only being able to get a job on the campus you're attending and even then only being able to work 20 hours on a full student visa.

Make no mistake, it is a shame she can't find work, but neither can 30 million Americans. Thankfully, she's assured full tuition as well as room and board, where as many others are losing their homes and livelihood.

However, as I pointed out above, Article 28 says you have the human right to come before an international order and bring to light this awful travesty against humanity. Seeing that you're in New York, it would stand to reason that, surely at least the UN would back their human rights declaration and will fix the problem.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
You know, you`re absolutely right. We should get rid of anything that violates our human rights. That means no more borders, because they keep us in certain areas, not where we want to live. Militaries? Gone. Corporations? Gone (they don`t pay enough to ensure my right to a nice house to live in). Transportation industry has to be totally revamped. They charge too much for me to go where I want.....

See the problem here? Almost everything can be said to be a "major violation of our human rights".

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Alright mabye I went overboard with the holocaust comparison but it was the only thing that came to mind at the time and a rights violation is a rights violation. I meant no harm.

I guess I see what you mean Z, but I never really agreed with borders to begin with. I think we should be able to go wherever we like the earth was a gift from God and unless God gave our leaders the right toncontrol such things I will disagree.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

[QUOTE]a gift from God and unless God gave our leaders the right toncontrol such things I will disagree. [/QUOTE]

no man alive today has ever stood before God to ask God what God thinks.

So knowing that, why speak for God?

If there are no boundaries, then shouldn't "Gods Chosen ones" give up their land to the Palestinians?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Please try to understand where I am coming from. This issue wasn't a thought in my mind until I started dating her. Now after understanding the circumstances, and the fact that we have illegals driving around withou licences, making enough money to support themselves, and I have to listen to my girlfriend histerically cry every day, because she can't afford a car and has to ride a bike in the freezing rain and snow. It's heartbreaking. And she is here legally, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Have you ever dealt with immigration? I won't speak for all but the ones we have dealt with are heartless.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Reguardless... The point I am making is these rules are a violation of human rights. The right to work.

She agreed to that condition before she came to the USA - If she did not agree to it why did she get that visa? If she does not now agree with it she can simply get that visa cancelled.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join