It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Executes Inmate Using Single Drug Method

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Ohio Executes Inmate Using Single Drug Method

www.cnn.com

An Ohio inmate, convicted of killing and dismembering a 22-year-old woman in 1991, was executed Tuesday using a new, untested one-drug method of lethal injection, state officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have no problem with the death penalty. I have no problem with the 3 drug method that has previously been used as I have no problem with the 1 drug method.

Some cited this was "human experimentation". I disagree, this man was a monster for what he did to that young lady.

He robbed her, attempted rape and ended up cutting her into pieces and spreading her body all over northeast Ohio and into Pennsylvania.

I hope we can discuss the method of execution here and not weather or not we feel that the death penalty is right or wrong?

If you read the article, one dose of sodium thiopental is used, some feel this could wear off and cause the person to be awake and in extreme pain during the execution, without the use of the other two drugs.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

one dose of sodium thiopental is used, some feel this could wear off and cause the person to be awake and in extreme pain during the execution, without the use of the other two drugs.

Seems like there is only one way to find this out for sure.

I wonder if any critics are up to the idea of finding out first hand if this is what actually happens.

Guess they could experiment on animals but then PETA would be all over it.

To those who don't like this method, are there any other methods that would be better suited for killing a person who was sentenced to death?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Firing Squad. Although I have no problem with the death penalty. Saves the tax payer money. Lord knows we need all the money we can get right now.

And for kickers i don't really care how they kill these people if they are sentenced to death then as long as that sentence is carried out is all that matters.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The one drug method is used to euthanize animals, I'm not sure if sodium thiopental is the actual drug used though.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What I could never understand is why it is required for the state to give a damn how much the death of the condemned hurts at the time.
Surely if you are inhuman enough to warrent state sanctioned destruction , then you are beneath worth, and also beneath sympathy , and therefore your ease of passing should be bottom of the list of concerns?
Why not inject the condemned with some kind of acid. Get rid of the body that way too. Great way to save on funerary expenses.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Oh my god. Disgusting.

Not the single drug method. What that guy did.

To be honest, the more pain that is caused to him, the better. But for all those who believe this man shouldn't be tortured, then this works. Maybe it will save money in the long run, somehow, with one drug instead of three.

I like the "injecting acid" but, TrueBrit.

Or, I mean, take his stuff, attempt to rape him, and then dismember him and spread his body around a couple states.

If it wasn't so much effort and money to replay these awful crimes onto the offender, I would honestly recommend that.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Oh poor huy he may have felt pain while they put hum to death, hold on a moment while i shed a tear for his unjust pain.
Maybe they should have beaten attempted to rape him and cut him up into pieces.
I do not see what the big deal would be should these guys being put to death feel something in the process. Im not saying it should be "slow" but a couple mins of pain before death i would see as acceptable, I mean if it is done right it would only hurt once.
I do not see why we have these chemical death penalties at all. A single shot to the head or hanging is quick and would only hurt for a split second. If they are so worried about about the people feeling pain they could knock a guy out like they would for any surgery and remove the heart/suffocate/drive a wooden stick through his heart, i mean whatever they wanted to do.
Im not for the death penalty but i think it is kind of crazy the lengths people will go to so that these people are going to kill have a painless death.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I just think no matter which method is used, it will always be criticized as cruel and inhumane.

The preferred method of performing euthanasia is the injection of barbiturates into a vein or into the coelomic cavity. This is how dogs and cats are euthanized when it is necessary. The technique is quick and painless, taking only minutes to perform by the intravenous route but up to several hours by the intracoelomic route. The later route should not be used if a post-mortem examination is planned. Barbiturates are controlled substances and must be administered by licensed veterinarians. Aggressive, dangerous or difficult patients may be sedated either by injection or with anesthesia prior to euthanizing. Injectable agents should not be used on animals intended for food.

www.anapsid.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Maybe they should have beaten attempted to rape him and cut him up into pieces.

I'm so tickled that we both posted that at the exact same moment. That's really cute.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Convicted in '91, I guess the required 50 appeals were required so the lawyer cabal could get $5 million from the American People.

1 drug, 1 bullet, 1 quillotine what does it matter. If the judge that decided the case is required to pull whatever lever and the Prosecutor with the Jury is required to be there, I have no qualms on the death penalty issue.

We just need to make it more personal for the people instituting the sentence.

I believe sitting on death row for 18 years though is a worse punishment than the death sentence.

Reduce the appeals process down to 2 year max.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Hey that would be relatively tame ... Personaly I would like to see these sickos wrapped in barbed wire, attatched to the hitchrope of two trucks, and to have those trucks INCH forward bit by bit, just so hes sure when the end comes, that he really really REALLY shouldnt have done what he did. That would be a pretty good deterant as well . "Dont kill people, or we split you in half brutaly"

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I say we just line all death row inmates against the wall and execute them by a hand gun to the head.............no jk

Its not humane

Editing to let everyone know that I am being sarcastic, and believe it should be done that way

[edit on 8-12-2009 by capgirl]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Firing Squad russia still has them.
always work.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think the single drug method is all too fluffy bunnies and pet rabbits.

First, willing people should line up and try to rape him with long sticks. If he resist it would be deemed as failed attempt, after which they would move on to knives and scatter his body around the prison garden to compost and feed the trees and grass.

An eye for an eye.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by above

Star for the first Green eco-friendly solution, so long as the sticks were made with reclaimed lumber.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well...i know you didn't want this to turn into a if the death penalty is right thread. But it seems it has. And no i am vehemently against capital punishment, even for this man and his crime, it's backwards and not a punishment. Since you still have it i'll move on though. I know about the three shot lethal injection. In all honesty it is over in minutes anyway, i think it's always going to be hard to gauge what pain levels a new lethal injection inflicts. But like i said, all you can do is give your best educated guess and leave it at that. Like i said,over in minutes.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

To those who don't like this method, are there any other methods that would be better suited for killing a person who was sentenced to death?

A bullet would be cheaper. Pushing him off a tall building would be free.

For a more "sporting" method he could be catapulted out into the ocean. If he makes it back under his own power we can call sentence served and set him free.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I'm surprised this one drug application doesn't fall down under "cruel & unusual" punishment.

I know that won't be popular. But the court didn't instruct the prison or executioners to ensure the man suffered pain as he died, as some sick punishment for his own sins ; the court simply said he should be executed.

The English had a much better way.

Albert Pierrepoint, the legendary hangman, simply came into the condemned man's cell, the prisoner was quickly led to the gallows in an adjoining room and he was despatched within 30-45 seconds of Pierrepoint's arrival.

If you're going to kill people as part of your judicial system at least ensure it's quick and painfree, because if it isn't it says rather a lot about us.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
All that money wasted on him.. not just court proceedings.. the execution it's self..

Medical staff
Jail staff
utility bills
cost of the drug
cost of his last meal
cost of lawyer fees
cost of disposing of his body...

I'm sure there were many other expenses..

Think about how many poor kids could have gotten a meal with the money wasted on this scumbag.... Don't get me wrong, I think I like the single injection better than the drug cocktail, I hope it hurts like hell but I'm sure it doesn't....

I wish we could go back to public hangings. Or firing squad. OR .. sell lottery tickets to be the lucky person to actually inject the bastard (or shoot, or whatever) and give the proceeds to the victims family..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join