It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MLK Was a Republican

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yes you read correctly.

I recently ran across this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
started by a very angry and racist individual and it motivated me to start this thread since he is probably ignorant of this fact and probably many more.

If you already knew MLK was a Republican you know he was also a conservative and believed in in personal responsibilty, something the Democrat party seems to want to get rid of by creating a nanny state.

Which party is the real racist party? take a little history test:
www.nbra.info...

Helpful information here:
www.nationalblackrepublicans.com...

another cool video:
www.nationalblackrepublicans.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I know his father was a republican but he switched to democrat in the early 60's when the Kennedy's helped mlk jr get out of jail.

edit to add: Hmm found this

“Martin Luther King Jr. was not a Republican or Democrat,” said Alveda King, who was previously elected to the Georgia House as a Democrat, but later appointed to state and federal commissions by Republicans. “But everybody uses Martin Luther King Jr.’s name for their own benefit.”

Source

[edit on 8-12-2009 by damwel]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Both parties and virtually all politicians are racists.

Anyone who sits and actively plans to 'gain' the vote of a race of people as though they are some single hive mind of drones is exhibiting racist behavior.

Worrying about the "Hispanic vote" or the "black vote" is a racist concern. Just as working for the "female vote" is a sexist one.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
I know his father was a republican but he switched to democrat in the early 60's when the Kennedy's helped mlk jr get out of jail.

edit to add: Hmm found this

“Martin Luther King Jr. was not a Republican or Democrat,” said Alveda King, who was previously elected to the Georgia House as a Democrat, but later appointed to state and federal commissions by Republicans. “But everybody uses Martin Luther King Jr.’s name for their own benefit.”

Source

[edit on 8-12-2009 by damwel]

In other words, a better synopsis the OP could have said was, MLK would have been neither a Dem or Repub. He would have hated both sycophantic parties.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Republican does not make you a racist. The democrats have more a history in racial persecution than any other political party and I always get disgusted when people say we're racists. I'm a mixed race mutt and a Conservative. I listen to Rush Limbaugh and although don't even agree with 50% of what he says I wince everytime he is called a bigot. It's so bad that he can't even say "black man or black athlete" without the MSM ripping him to pieces. Our wonderful open minded Liberal governement has really done a good job of smearing us when I can attest to the fact that it was Republicans who fought for my kids' US citizenship because they were born abroad, fought diplomats overseas to secure my wife's entry into this country after being caught in a terrorist bombing (right after her visa was denied), and if you know history they also ended slavery in the US via .... Abraham Lincoln and the aboltionists.
But if none of this convinces you maybe you might want to wiki the name Strom Thurmond. I know he became a conservative but in his most racist days he was a no good filthy liberal democrat.
Democrats only ended their racist ways when they realized the power behind the black vote.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The "I have a dream" speech is the epitomy of Conservatism. Every liberal I see is fixated on race, which directly led to the first Affirmative Action President. If Obama was judged solely on the content of his character, there is no way in bleep that he would have been elected.

I also believe if JFK was around today, he also would be a conservative. How many liberals go around wanting tax cuts to stimulate the economy like JFK suggested?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
One cannot so easily slap a party label on someone from the past and use it to justify the current state of either political party in the U.S. Others here are far better qualified and knowledgeable of Lincoln, the first Republican president, and his motivations and actions relating to the emancipation of American blacks. However to somehow imply that today's Republicans are anything like him is disingenious.

I have seen the argument on many occasions by Republicans that they drove the Civil Rights legislation in the '60's and then use that as some justification of their current status. Yet, history begs otherwise.

Lincoln was a northerner and a Republican. After the confederecy was defeated, the last person for whom a southerner would vote was a Republican and thus the south became a bastion of the Democratic party. The "Dixiecrats" were much of the base of the Democratic party and as others have noted, Strom Thurmond was one of them. So was George Wallace, the governor of Alabama that stood in the way of integration. Yet, driven by the politics of JFK and later LBJ, the Democratic party helped drive the civil rights agenda throughout the south. Johnson sent National Guard troops to force Wallace to allow black students to enter a "white school" and at that point, the southerners became disillusioned by their party. Being raised as racists by ancestors that owned or supported the ownership of slaves, the last thing acceptable to them was equality of blacks in America.

The Republicans, sensing a shift in power, offered these southerners an alternative and the Dixiecrats eventually became Republicans. The only one that did not, of which I am aware, is Robert Byrd, the (D) Senator of WV who is still in office today. And lives in a very red state. Republicans like to point out that he was once a member of the KKK but the bottom line is that many of their base today have ancestors that were also part of that and remain a part of the white supremacy movement. I would venture that there are few, if any, democrats in those types of organizations today.

Republicans call themselves conservative but the reality of it is that there has not been a true conservative republican that has run for the presidency since Barry Goldwater. At one time, great thinkers like William F. Buckley, Jr. drove the agenda of conservatives but they have never replaced him. The "mouthpieces" now are not true conservatives but some warped version of what they once were. One poster says that if JFK were alive today, he would be a "conservative" yet seems to ignore that his brother Ted was a fixture of the Democratic party. Their beliefs were very similar so trying to usurp JFK in such a way is simply silly.

If one wants to find a real conservative, look to Ron Paul, the "outcast" of the republican party. Simply put, today we have liberals (democrats) and liberal lites (republicans).

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I think I will go by Alveda King's own words IN THE VIDEO stating that he was Republican.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
My family thinks that I'm a liberal democrat, and I'm actually a libertarian. I've explained this to them, but they can't wrap their heads around the fact that a right-winger could see the world in a different way than they do. So I'm a commie in their eyes.

So, I'm not convinced. I suspect that MLK was willing to get on board with any politician who supported his efforts (and that politician, more than any other, was probably RFK).

In any event, there is a big difference between then and now. Democrats today have little in common with Bobby, and Republicans have little in common with Ike.

These types of threads are fallacious because political ideologies are not universal constants that transcend time and space.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by theWCH]

new topics

top topics

join